Lead and Salt Water

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
WW2 bullets that I have found (50 cal machine gun ) are iron covered with copper, not lead, (they have to go through thick metal hulls and fuselages, so they must not smash, like lead) and those always have some rust coming out the back, but the rest of it is always good. I have found lots of brass too. I have found lead bullets in the sand under water, lead fishing weights, diving weights, and lead sheathing, one ship is positively dated at 1810- around the time pirates (3rd and final time)were kicked out of Nassau, and ship was stripped and burned. And that lead was slightly dusty, maybe a little grey dust, not shiny of course. All the lead I have found underwater seems about the same, slight patina, grey, and very much all there. Iron you would think would just fall apart, is in fairly good shape after 300 years in the saltwater, it is when you take it out, or if another metal is in contact underwater, that it will fall apart. Lead, bronze, copper all seem to last very well in saltwater, and when taken out. They need very little conservation, unlike iron. Silver is good, unless against iron, or in highly mineralized soil underwater. Alloyed metals like coins made of silver, older ones, like cobs, contained some copper, which causes corrosion. Dissimilar metals cause corrosion or problems underwater. Gold of course has no difference when laying in sand under saltwater for 300 years. Aluminum seems to last many years and still look new, unless against another metal like iron or copper, even stainless steel will rust right apart, where it hits some iron in just a short few months.

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, thanks for the lesson in salt water recovery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread