LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Statistically, probably yes.

I'm of the opinion that women shouldn't be alone in isolated locations, since that probably greatly increases the chance that they'll become the statistical anomaly.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
personally I wouldn't hit the beaches alone till sun is up. JMHO

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't take that chance, Grace; better safe than sorry.

Lorraine

OP
OP
Grace O'Malley

Grace O'Malley

Oct 23, 2011
RV, NE Florida (This week)
Detector(s) used
DFX, Sun-Ray pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CD, do you detect the beaches by yourself? Has anyone ever looked like they might bother you? The only time I was ever scared was when I was out by myself in the woods miles from the nearest house. I was checking out the long-burned down remains of an old mansion that was supposedly haunted. When I got home my son starts laughing at me and kinda rolls his eyes and says "Mom, the only haints you need to worry about are the LIVE ones, not the dead ones!"

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
If you brandish a sword like in your photo you will probably be okay, otherwise put a detector in hubby's hand and tell him to get to work. :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat: Be smart, hunt safe. HH, Ralph

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
I would get a concealed weapons permit. In the state of Florida, it cost about $ 125, is good for 5 years , and is good in a couple of dozen states. HH

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a male, but I hunt exclusively in the early morning (4-5am to 8am). Generally nobody is around but joggers right before sun-up, all the drunks are asleep by 3-4am. There are days when there are some sketchy people around when I get to the beach, but I'm a guy with a big scary looking water scoop...

I would say, you being a female, get to the beach 30 minutes or so before sunrise, the sky starts lighting up about 15-20 minutes before the sun actually rises, hunt a beach that has joggers in the morning. I wouldn't recommend the deserted beaches in the early morning.

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
my wife says take a nutcracker ...

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the Daytona area in sept. and hit the beach early for low tide. Usually there were a few joggers out and cleaning crews. Since one can drive on the beach, there is usually a beach patrol vehicle coming through on a regular basis. As long as it's after daylight I think you'll be ok. Just be sure the husband knows which way you're going, take your cell phone and as always don't get tunnel vision on the ground you are detecting but remember to check out your surroundings. If anything looks suspicious call 911. I think you'll be surprised at how fast the response will be. Remember, the area is dependent on tourism. They don't want the reputation of having guest attacked on their beach. HH

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
It depends on you and your level of awareness of the things going on around you.
Read "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker.
I am not saying this to scare you off, but I think it will help you to stay safer, even in town.
R

OP
OP
Grace O'Malley

Grace O'Malley

Oct 23, 2011
RV, NE Florida (This week)
Detector(s) used
DFX, Sun-Ray pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the help and suggestions, ya'll. The Wal-mart Black Friday shopper has inspired me.....PEPPER SPRAY! (If the sight of my lesche-knockoff doesn't dissuade the mugger first). It works like a charm on those Yellowstone grizzly bears. Of course, I will be really careful and only use it in a dire emergency if I feel genuinely threatened.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I am not a woman, I have hunted the beaches in the US at all hours of the night, (my personal favorite time to hunt) from
Myrtle Beach SC to many beaches in Florida etc.
Never had anyone bother me, or approach me.
I do keep my eyes open, and try to pay attention where others are in relative proximity to me.
Beaches are wide open spaces and if your paying attention you can generally see someone coming
a distance away even at night.
You may consider hunting around touristy areas, these always have lots of lights from building
that can be used to see, even if you don't have a light, there is generally enough to see everything.
Even better to go during a full moon...

But on beaches where there are few high rises, and mostly houses, even I can get a little nervous because there can be little to no light to see anything....

Something else you might remember...
Most crimes are those of "Opportunity"....
I can't believe that anyone walking around a beach at night is going to know that you are
a woman or a man in the dark, only that your walking around with a metal detector..
I use a grip handled shovel, short enough to weld easily and stout enough to do damage
if needed and easy to use to dig...

rons1947

Jul 12, 2007
Palm Bay,Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
At this time of year,it is pretty much dawn by around 6:30 a.m. and,therefore, there is less chance of being attacked while beach hunting. I know that there are often homeless people and others spending the night at Cocoa Beach,where I hunt.I have hunted there before at night,but have always remained aware of my surroundings and kept my long handled scoop ready,if needed. Just my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread