My Oldest Coin to Date and its from the Beach

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is a South Jersey find earlier this year its been a bear to clean. First knowing what I found and having to go slow then after find its not any real value trying to make it so you can see whats left of it. It's a 1673 Halfpence Charles II My oldest coin in over 30 years! I was able to get a clean picture by using a USB microscoope.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 889
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 899
Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If thats a copper you can put some mineral oil on it and return it to a natural color appearance. It does no damage long term to a copper. I use it on wheats, IHs, and LCs found in fields. Since sometimes cleaning them turns them a purple or red and they seem dry. Thats a great find.

Dew

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coin, thankfully the saltwater spared that one. Almost 340 years old!

OP
OP
Buried Crap NJ

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
This coin has soaked in olive oil for 4 months and this is the best its gotin! I should have shunk the photos for a better picture. I'll do that tonight.

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amazing.... real nice shape for salt water find but im sure it didnt look like that when you found it....congrats..

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice find! Amazing that it is so readable after all these years in the surf zone. I use an eye loupe, or stack several if needed, over the lens of my camera. Some cameras might not work. And I switch the camera to macro. The range of focus is very narrow when that close. A 1/16th of an inch at most. Just like using a loupe.

OP
OP
Buried Crap NJ

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
bootyhoundpa said:
amazing.... real nice shape for salt water find but im sure it didnt look like that when you found it....congrats..
I didn't know it was a coin till a few days after going though encrusted stuff. I pulled crap of it and tumbled the $%#@ out of it! I then used a brass wire brush and found some writing. I then when easy. After months of soaking it started to flake. I was getting bits of info but wasn't looking far enough back. As soon as I knew what time frame I saw that even in great condition they did not command a big price. I was back to the wire brush. The picture is magnified, by eye you can't see as much as the picture!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Congratulations! :headbang: :hello2:

trsrseeker

May 10, 2011
FL / NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field, Excaliber 11, Sovereign, CTX 3030
Congratulations both on the find and your patience in identifying the find!

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Way to go Steve. I found one similar at a SJ beach 2 years ago....same beach where I got the 8 Reales. Thinking that coin was in the pocket of one of the people on the ship wreck as opposed to in the booty/treasure chest where the silver and gold coins were.

Busted out a microscope for the pic. Good thinking.

How are things going ? Matt and I haven't been out as much as we should. Waiting for some erosion to happen. At our usual spots there hasn't been much but clad and the occasional junk jewelry item. Hopefully we can meet up soon.

OP
OP
Buried Crap NJ

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
"Busted out a microscope for the pic. Good thinking."
I actually bought a kids USB microscope (intel play Qx3) brand new Ebay 30 bucks with shipping. It really has helped me figure out other dates/markings as well. Everyone reading this think about getting one!
steve

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool!! too bad you tumbled, wire brushed it!

OP
OP
Buried Crap NJ

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
seeker41 said:
very cool!! too bad you tumbled, wire brushed it!
Before tumbling and wire brushing it looked like a washer, I almost though it out!

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! That is a terrific coin find, BCNJ!
I would think it is quite valuable ...1683.

Great find!

Lorraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions