2 hour hunt on the Bay today.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Baywalker (Jonnie) has been hunting a beach on the bay for a while, and it dint seem to have been hit hard. He posted a couple posts showing some of that. Jonnie and I hit it this afternoon for a couple hours. The beach was eroded, and it was rocky and shelly, with a filling of sticky mud. Mainly rocks and clams. But you couldnt swing once without getting 3 hits or nulls. We really had to decide which hits we wanted to dig up. Which ones sounded like something good. I brought my Excal, but had a 15" coil instead of the 8", I should have brought that, it was hard to pinpoint with so many targets getting in the way. Jonnie had an 8" coil and did a whole lot better than I did. A pinpointer would have helped a lot, since the mud made everything look the same, hard to find the target, even when it was out of the ground. Hard digging. We had to use a big knife and a trowel, hard on the knees too, kneeling on rocks. I took some pics on the beach but the camera was in macro , so they were blurry. Here's our take, no gold or silver. I did find some thin lead sheets, maybe lead sheathing for a boat. Jonnie's top, mine on bottom.

Attachments

• MDing today 007.jpg
    MDing today 007.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 978
  • MDing today 008.jpg
    MDing today 008.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 981
Upvote 0

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting in trashy areas like that is tough going Steve.
Really makes you appreciate it when you find a spot
that is somewhat cleaner. Ya got some coinage though,
so the trip wasn't a total loss. Gold Nuggets :hello:

OP
OP
stevemc

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here is a pic of the stuff we were digging in, but as I said it was in macro, so its blurry, I forgot to take it back out, was taking close-ups the night before. This stuff was almost solid rocks and thick broken clams, and mud. Couldnt use a scoop, had to pick each rock out of the way.

Attachments

• MDing today 004.jpg
    MDing today 004.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 648

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread