very very dirty beach

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
So I know this lake beach, which is about half a mile long, it "digests" around 1 million people per summer, the water is unfortunately empty, however the beach has a problem, there are multiple pulltabs per square foot! not kidding :) all kinds of pulltabs, modern one's, one's from 60's, 70's etc.
There are no coins there, since nearly everyone detects with discrimination to filter out the tabs.

my question is: is it worth removing these pulltabs foot by foot, hour by hour ? could it be that this beach with soft sand has sufficient gold in it to make it worth the time ?

I'm a water hunter and have never search for gold on a beach, only for coins and very occasionally too.

during the summer the beach is packed with people, it looks something like this:

040.JPG

to try it or not ? its a 2 hour drive so I want your opinions first

Upvote 0

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cherry pick the coins. Then set the Detector to notch out pull tabs to crackle, set the discriminate to reject other tabs see how many rings you can still hear. Be happy with what you find you'll miss some but you'll find enough! Or clean out the pull tabs for the next guy? Beaches with trash all over are a true hunters dream. You could work it to death and no one else would touch it. Such a deal!

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
thanks for the answer.

there are NO coins there, let that be clear, maybe one or two on the whole area, there are quite a few hunters who go there but they ALL and ALWAYS search with a very high disk, they discrimate everything except for coins/silver. When I say its FULL of all kinds of pulltabs then I mean it, some sound just above higher than foil and some of these pulltabs sound almost as high as coins. its a BIG mess there, a very big mess :)

I guess I will try it. if I hunt from 9 AM til 5 PM I can maybe take around 300 pulltabs or so.. and clean a relatively small area, just a few % of the beach.

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
if the pull tabs are there so is the gold.
build a sifter out of 1/4 inch hardware cloth. then dig everything with your scoop and dump it in the sifter.
when the sifter is full, sift it out.
rather than checking every scoop full you can check 20 or so scoops all at one time.
this will save you a lot of time.
i did something very similar nugget hunting.
the gold was there but so was a lot of lead bullets, like 100 lead to one gold.
i just dug the sounds up and dumped them in a bucket, after half an hour i would pan the bucket and pull my gold out and dump the lead.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
thanks for your advice too.

well the thing is, I was lead to believe that nearly ALL the rings are lost in water and that finding gold on a dry beach is something that happens "once in a lifetime".

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Acquisitor said:

well the thing is, I was lead to believe that nearly ALL the rings are lost in water and that finding gold on a dry beach is something that happens "once in a lifetime".

Whomever told you that is an idiot.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DewGuru said:
Acquisitor said:

Whomever told you that is an idiot.
If there are pulltabs there coins and rings there is no such thing as cheery picking dig it all you will be surprised :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:

Jonnie

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Acquisitor said:

I must have a lot of life times coming as gold is found all over the dry sand. True gold has a better chance of falling off in the water. But I believe more people are leaving gold on the blankets and pants/shirt pockets then ever before! Don't sell the dry sand short. While I too hunt mostly wet sand and water I have dozens of gold finds this year going to and from the water edge!

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Buried Crap NJ said:
Acquisitor said:

I must have a lot of life times coming as gold is found all over the dry sand. True gold has a better chance of falling off in the water. But I believe more people are leaving gold on the blankets and pants/shirt pockets then ever before! Don't sell the dry sand short. While I too hunt mostly wet sand and water I have dozens of gold finds this year going to and from the water edge!

thanks!

so what you are saying is: the closer to the water the higher the chance to score gold ?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Buried Crap NJ said:
Acquisitor said:

I'm particularly fond of the gweedos and gweedettes. These persons "dress" for the beach with their finest gold. Sure some is junk, but many like to flaunt the good stuff. Despite professing their love for the beach lifestyle, many of them have no clue how hot the sun can get in Florida. I've seen tourists actually get scorched by their necklace. Inevitably, they come "dressed" but by high noon and later, they are forced to take off the jewelry as a red scorch line around their neck doesn't feel or look good.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
so I'm going there on saturday, since its so dirty, my idea is to make a square first, lets say 30x30ft, to work on it, to remove all the pulltabs/foil first and then to pass over the area while listening very very well. I hope I will get rewarded. the beach is packed with depositors during the summer, some run around, do stupid things etc.

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
I work a beach very much like the one you describe. I pick a 20x 20 area at a time and dig every freaking target , I will find gold and other good stuff about 70% of the time. You must remove tabs , iron , and coins to get to the gold. Remember iron and tabs and coins will mask a gold signal. when i dive a swim site i use this technique , it is allot of work but it really pays off. Give it a try. HH

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
well I will do it on Saturday, still have my doubts about gold on a beach, as a water hunter it's hard to understand how people can lose gold on a beach :)
the "good" thing is that silver and coins have been removed from the beach already, since everyone searches with a high disk.

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd dig every signal and recheck every hole I dig - multiple times! Go slow and enjoy all your finds!! Good luck! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread