I am brand new at this and need advice on what metal detector to buy.

Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello,

I am brand new at this and have spent the past week researching everything about what kind of metal detector to buy. I have talked to Metal detector.com and Kelly company on the phone. I have seen countless reviews, videos, manuals and etc. I have just purchased a condo right on the St. Pete Beach in Florida. I am basically retired at 48 and will be there mostly as a snow bird. I plan on metal detecting instead of golfing everyday. My wife and I will be doing this together. I plan on going no deeper than waist deep in the ocean. All I know is I want a waterproof metal detector with a warranty. Also I will be doing wet sand and dry white sand from Key West Atlantic Ocean and Miami to St. Pete Beach and Clearwater Gulf Beaches.

The consencious is Minelab Excalibur, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1280 and 5th place Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II. Now this is what I have been told in order basically by the "experts" for Salt Water submersion and beach combing. Not sure I want the Porsche (Excalibur). Kelly Company has a package if you buy a Garrett AT Pro or a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II you can basically get a lower end Bounty Hunter Pro 505 (for my wife) for $119 or a MPX Multi Pro for $70.

So my question is do I purchase the Tank (Sea Hunter PI detector) and I understand do alot of digging or the AT Pro? I will have alot of time on my hands and I want to find the rings and gold jewelry buried deep that other detectors miss. I also like the idea of have a read out display with the AT Pro so I don't have to dig up every bottle top.

I can get either the Sea Hunter w/2 coils and Pro 505 for $869. Or the AT Pro and Pro 505 for $732. I am looking for ANY advice from anyone.

Thank You

Upvote 0

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At pro wont do as well on the wet salt sand/saltwater as say, an excal/cz21. If you are willing to put up the money, the Excal or CZ21 seem to be the best of the best for waterproof discriminating machines, and when all your competition is using those 2 machines or PIs, you need a top notch (deep) machine also.

If you are willing to dig iron, and on some beaches there is a lot of it, a PI will get better depth than the 2 machines mentioned above, and you can get a few of the PI's for about half the price of the top VLFs... so you can buy 2 ;D .

Some of the beaches in Florida are very heavily hunted, so it would be a PI all the way for me.

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Sounds like you will be doing a lot of detecting. If so, then buy the best. For all around use in water and on the beach get a 10 or 10.5 inch search coil. Buy the Excalibur or the CZ-21. If you get the Excalibur then buy a balanced shaft for it right away. Also invest in a heavy duty long handled scoop. Forget about digital displays and definitely don't worry about getting that Bounty Hunter. Some people like the PI machines but I personally don't like digging that many trash targets. Time spent digging iron could be time swinging the coil over a good target.

You may get a better deal from one of the smaller dealers. They won't advertise those deals so you have to talk to them. They will also give you more personalized service than Kellyco and the other big dealer you mentioned.

Just remember, if you buy one of the lesser units that are not designed to work in salt water, you will have to upgrade if you continue your interest in the hobby. Save yourself a lot of time, money and frustration and just buy the better detector now. We see posts like yours all the time. Someone new to detecting thinks that there has to be something cheaper than an Excalibur or a CZ-21 that will work well enough. Unfortunately, you have to spend the money up front to find the goodies. One way to save some money would be to buy a land version of the Excalibur (Sovereign) or the CZ-21 (various CZ models) and use it for wet sand and dry sand. The land units sell for several hundred dollars less. You can also find good deals on used Sovereigns. You don't need the latest model. They are all great beach machines.

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please dont exclude the "Safari"! GREAT Beginner detector! You wont regret it! For the money it does perform Awsome around salt water sands and beaches!Coil is sumergabled
However Excaliber has the ablity to be totally submerged!

Bobbie

Nov 7, 2005
Connecticut and SW Florida
Detector(s) used
2 Minelab Excal 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If price is no object then get yourself the Excal and your wife the Garrett AT Pro. I have both and they are the best for FL beaches. BUT.......do not expect to find a lot of gold..........very little in fact most of the time you will be finding junk, coin and some silver. Gold is at a premium and people have either sold it off for cash or just not wearing it in the water or to the beach. The Excal rejects most ferous objects and is one of the very best in the water. The AT Pro is good in the water but it sometimes can be very noisy. It is excellent in the sand and once your wife learns how to use it......plenty of videos on You-Tube.......she won't put it down. The AT Pro is a good all around machine, even for parks in the north. The Excal is the best of the water machines. Make sure you get good long handle scoops for both of you, don't skimp in this department because it is 50% of your equipment. A junk scoop will make you loose that piece of gold.

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
if you decide to go with a PI - the SH "tank" as you put it - why not consider the Tesoro Sand Shark? Lifetime warranty too :dontknow:

sandnut

Nov 17, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II uMax , Tesoro Silver uMax, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Excal or white's df would do good. Tesoro Sand Shark has lifetime warranty.Where excal and whites have only a few years of warranty. For purchasing your detector go with Newengland detectors just tell them you are with this forum and ask what is the best deal you can get, you will be surprised.

http://www.newenglanddetectors.com/

Good luck on your new hobby!!!

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Excal II. I got a great deal from Ron @ Windy City detectors(google it I can't post a link I don't think). Like everyone has mentioned, shop around. Kellyco is a great company and I have bought lots from them, but the smaller guys will give you a better deal. Good luck in your search! The areas you mention get hit hard by a lot of MD'ers, many of them on these boards. Don't be suprised to see a hald dozen or more guys and gals out there swinging as well. I have found that looking for the more obscure beaches will really pay off.

Good Luck,
Aaron

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get an Xcal for water... you may spend a little up front ... but it will pay for its self many times over. There is almost no learning curve compared to a PI and less trash to frustrate you. Once you know what you are doing then get a PI... from the money you made with the Xcal.... win win. For the wet and dry sand the Xcal works great as would a Sov. Start thinking of the type of scoop you need as well.

Dew

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
DewCon I have to dissagree with you on the learning curve on a PI. There is no learning curve, its just turn it on and go. If you have a beep, you have metal. I have done that with many people who have never used a metal detector. I just turn it on and it is set as low as possible pulse delay, threshold is just a light buzz, thats it, no other knobs to turn or ever mess with. But no different sounds, so you never know what you are digging. Many times with a dime or quarter that is near the surface, it will double blip, but you still dig as you never know what it is, could be a gold ring. The Excal is a learning curve, but if set right it will tell you if you are over iron. The PI unfortunatly wont. The PI is very deep, but again it could be a can or sparkler wire 18 to 24 inches deep, much deeper than an Excal can go. I have both and they both have their attributes, and Excals iron null is a good one. It is frustrating to dig iron hair pins, nails, rust chunks, and all the other stuff too. If you can get rid of the iron, as has ben said, you have more time to actually dig non ferrous stuf, usually aluminum can parts. I would not go with the Garrett PI, I have one, and have used others, and they are not sensitive to gold jewelry. White's Dual Field is a good one if you are going with a PI. Minelabs Excal is a great one.

OP
OP
S
Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
I sure appreciate your insight and time. The more I research and read posts; the more confused I get. Two things I want for sure are 1.) warranty 2.) waterproof metal detector. I may buy 2 metal detectors, but that's even harder trying to figure out which two. What concerns me is if I buy the Excalibur as my Only unit what happens if it is a lemon or needs repair? I have read review after review saying that 2 out of 10 Excaliburs are broken or you need to modify this or that or send it back to the manufacturer and it takes months to get back. That's not where I want to be. To have a waterproof metal detector is a small list. The Sov GT will eventually get wet, sprayed or dropped in the water and that is the end of a not completely waterproof metal detector. I really want the best (Excalibur), but not sure I can buy 2 detectors, because of the expense of the Excalibur.
I keep thinking Garrett Sea Hunter and the Garrett AT Pro together is basically the same price as the Excalibur. And that is with two coils for the Sea Hunter. What I like about that is one's pulse and known for underwater and the AT Pro has readouts and lots of features and is water proof. Would a Garrett dealer give a good package for both detectors? I have talked to several dealers and they all are wanting to sell units now.
I keep hearing about the Tesor Tiger and Sand Shark one is pulse the other VLF? I like it that they both have lifetime warranties. I plan on metal detecting 3-5 hours a day 300 days a year at least. So what machines hold up?
The only machine I have had in my hands is the AT Pro and it feels good. I just don't understand how some reviews say not good in the salt water and some say great in salt water. Is the Garrett Sea Hunter dependable? It reminds me of a "Tank".

Thank You for any input.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more info needed

1)...where will you hunt 90% of the time: water..? damp sand??....water and damp sand..??...dry....?

2).....fresh water or salt?

3)......minelabs and garretts are not equal

4).......what about scoops??

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget the ATPro. Garrett even says in it's lit that it's not designed for salt water use. The Pro is a good machine for those who want to dirt hunt inland and have the ability of an all one detector for fresh water rivers, ponds, lakes etc. And, yes it will work in the ocean, just not made for it and not the best tool for the job. Experienced beach hunters aren't using the ATpro or aren't using it as their primary salt water machine.

Excal is the best choice. Great machine, easy to use. Excal is number one choice further up the east coast.

You want warranty? Tesoro gives a lifetime warranty. One of the premiere hunters on these pages uses a Tesoro Sand Shark. His primary hunting ground is right in your neighborhood. Sand shark works for him, it should work for you. if you don't want to lay down for an Excal, Fisher CZ21 or White's, Tesoro is a top beach machine for those with a tighter budget.

Lastly, chk some other dealers. Kellyco isn't the best deal, only the most visible dealer. The dealer is at least as important as the manufacturer. You want a dealer with a solid rep for good customer service. Not every dealer has that going for them.

Burldrives

Sep 26, 2011
St Petersburg Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
I am much in the same situation and location as you are , you have gotten some good advice.
There is a local shop in Tampa that sells tesoro and garrett , his prices are the same as the big mail order houses , plus he detects the local beaches . I will leave it to you to find him I don't feel it is my place to drop names here ( the only one in Tampa )

The other great advise you where given was shop just as hard for a good sand scoop , I thought my arm was going to drop off the other day . My next will be a stavr scoop.
I am using a OLD garrett sea hunter xl500 not happy no depth . But will stick with a pi many will tell you they dig everything anyway. Good luck digging crab pot pieces

Neg tide in the am, be at the beach the off to Savanah, Charlston and Snt Augustine with My little old ladies . ( tour bus driver ) HH Craig

tiggar

Sep 26, 2011
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
me either Max....been there, done that, & dug a million holes for trash to prove it.....
you try finding the small black straight pin that keeps sifting thru your scoop, and sounds like a Quarter going off......
a big waste of time...IMO

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tiggar said:
me either Max....been there, done that, & dug a million holes for trash to prove it.....
you try finding the small black straight pin that keeps sifting thru your scoop, and sounds like a Quarter going off......
a big waste of time...IMO

Sounds like an unprepared scoop. :D

Being that most straight pins are no longer being made in iron, the iron null
feature of the excal becomes moot.

As for the AT Pro (or the Tiger Shark) to the OP - Leave them be. It won't get'r done in salt water.

Keep in mind that if Brand A costs more than Brand B - It does NOT mean it's better/superior.

Another poster above mentioned a Tampa Dealer. I highly recommend not doing business there, if you go in seek of a Tesoro. You'd be better off getting it directly from Rusty. You can find his information under "dealers" on the Tesoro web site under California.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was you three years ago...
I bought an Ace 250 and within a year I bought an excal then an excal II and now I just bought an etrac. If you are really going to stick with the hobby, buy the best. As a very smart hunter once said "life is too short to swing an inferior detector"
I really don't see myself buying anything other than a Minelab.

tiggar

Sep 26, 2011
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
It took me longer than 3 years, and alot of md'er purchases to figure that out.....
but your right....Minelab rules....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread