How to break my Fiber Rob On my Excalibur II Lose with out breaking it.

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
Could use some suggestions here. I only used it two or three times this summer water hunting, and I went to break it down the other day and I can't get it to budge.

I tried running water over it and working it back and forth (it won't move). But I just can't get it apart. I'm afraid to put to much pressure on it or use a wrench to try to break it free as I would probably crush or crack the carbon fiber rod.

Any suggestions you folks would have would be greatly appreciated.

Rick :coffee2:

Upvote 0
Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's easier to prevent this than get it apart. Flush the sand and salt out after each use and let dry before putting the lower rod back in.

If the locking collar is frozen you can try drilling a couple of small holes in the outer part of the collar and then force water into the holes while you try to loosen the collar. If the rod is stuck inside the upper rod then try twisting the lower rod while running water into it. Best to remove the coil and electronics tube so you don't damage them. With the coil removed, you can put a screwdriver through the hole where the coil bolts on and use it to get extra leverage. Use lots of water and short twisting motions. Of course, try not to break anything.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it is on a straight shaft, u can get a all thread rod ...say 3/4" .......should be like 7/8" od.........and use it to push it out from the top.....AFTER SOAKING WITH ANY TYPE OF SPRAY TYPE OIL OR LUBRICANT......maybe two days.

if it is stock blue rod with S handle.............soak and spray even more......put pipe wrench on fiber rob and twist gentley.

once u get it out, u must seperate it from the shaft each and everyday after use and wash it off or i will happen again.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to worry about this but now I just leave them locked up. Course I had no need to break them down for travel even when I toured the coast in my van. Once the detector is adjusted for your height your all set.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What i found has helped me is i us a straight shaft that fits well .... but didnt put a shaft lock on it. It moves a tad but doesnt lock up.

Dew

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kinda agree with Sandman

but once in a while the lower tip part breaks just above coil bolt .......then u have to replace the lower rod.

it is just a necessary pain in the butt.

Attachments

• LOWER END RAMROD.jpg
    LOWER END RAMROD.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 542
  • LOWER END RAMROD 2.jpg
    LOWER END RAMROD 2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 568
  • LOWER END RAMROD 3.jpg
    LOWER END RAMROD 3.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 598

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got totally fed up with this issue. I was constantly breaking it down and reconfigureing for water (dive rod) vs. wading or land.
Finally I turned in some gold bands when gold peaked at $1,900 and I bought another Excal. Paid for by gold finds :)
I leave my old one set up for diving and my new one set up for wading. Best move I ever made.
With the reputation Minelab has for not getting units back from repair for several weeks and sometimes months, I was not excepting Minelabs poor service and excusses as an answer. Unfortunately Minelab sold another Excal. but I purchased it only because I love the performance of it.
So now I have two Excals ready to go wether it is wading or Diving. Plus I can use one as a back up if I have to send the other one away for long periods of time.
If you are breaking it down for travel, that's a different story.
Yes, the fiberglass rods will crack - been there and done it.
Good luck hunting.
GG

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I grip the lower rod with a pair of Chanel Locks right next to the cam lock. The sand has always broken loose before the rod. If I break a rod it's my own fault for not keeping it clean. I like Max's idea too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread