What is the best overall Saltwater waterproof unit able to be totally submersed?

Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello Again,

You all have helped tremendously giving this Newbie advice on my first detector purchase.

I am brand new at this and have spent the past week researching everything about what kind of metal detector to buy. I have seen countless reviews, videos, manuals and etc. I have just purchased a condo right on the St. Pete Beach in Florida. I am basically retired at 48 and will be there mostly as a snow bird. I plan on metal detecting instead of golfing everyday. My wife and I will be doing this together. I plan on going no deeper than waist deep in the ocean. All I know is I want a waterproof metal detector with a warranty. Also I will be doing wet sand and dry white sand from Key West Atlantic Ocean and Miami to St. Pete Beach and Clearwater Gulf Beaches. I have heard that the Excalibur is the best, but I am afraid of getting one of their lemons, which they say can happen 2 out of 10. I also am not into modifying or changing things like shafts and etc. I have crossed out the AT Pro now because it seems no good in saltwater. I originally thought buy 2 machines the Garrett Sea Hunter for waist deep saltwater hunting and the AT Pro for the beach, because it has a display unit. Someone said bad idea.
I don't want the Excalibur or the CZ21. I would really like ONE overall saltwater submersion to saltwater wet and dry white sand detector. These are the one's I am considering now: Garrett Sea Hunter with 2 coils $729 (know I will be doing alot of digging, but I still go to the gym and bench over 300 pounds, so I may get a better workout digging deep holes.) Tesoro Sand Shark $577 with a lifetime warranty. White's Beach Hunter 300 for $1000 (I really like the 3 LED lights for Iron, Gold, Silver). My question is honestly what would you all recommend as the best machine for me? If I want to spend $1000 I can get either one White's Beach Hunter 300. Or I can get the Sea Hunter or Sand Shark and get an additional wet salt sand and dry sand detector with a control panel and have more features?
I appreciate any input. I know I am driving my wife crazy about all my research, but I don't want buyer remorse. Is White's Beach Hunter 300 all they say it is? Is the Whites Surf PI Dual field a good machine also, it is $900.

Thank You for any advice.

Thank You

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgive me if I am dense, but are you related to Overkill, Overkill? He was a hoot by asking the same questions on many sections of Tnet and not taking the advice of anyone. But he was fun........

Try not to cut and paste the same post so many times to see how many responses you get. We are here to help.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It not just the BIG holes you will be digging with a PI.... its EVERYTHING and on a wet/dry sand beach you are talking a lot of targets and the bad to good ratio is horrible the more people you have on the beach. Next just how much extra depth do you think you are going to get? How much beach do you think you are going to cover when you spend more time digging bobbie pens than gold? They are cheaper and deeper, but even the Gurus on here knows that a PI isnt always the better choice for an area. I hunted with a guy the other day that spent more time in one spot digging trash..... while i was dismissing it and covering beach. On a beach.... time really is money when there are 4 other guys with detectors on the beach. At the end of the day its not how full your pouch is.

Dew

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you say you do not want the Excal or CZ21?!

Those are the 2 best overall machines.

Like I said last time you posted this, you dont want to hunt with a PI in the dry sand, it will drive you crazy.

Get a PI if you want the deepest machines, can live with only hunting wet sand/water, and dont mind digging a lot of rusty iron.

Or get an Excal or CZ21 if you want to do dry sand also, and be able to skip digging iron.

You asked for bestoverall, Excal and CZ21 are the best overall.

You will not be happy with the AT pro at a saltwater beach, it can't compete with an excal/cz21.

In my opinion, your choices are excal or cz21 for a vlf machine... df pi or infinium for a PI machine. Those are the best of both sides... imo.

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Forgive me if I am dense, but are you related to Overkill, Overkill? He was a hoot by asking the same questions on many sections of Tnet and not taking the advise of anyone. But he was fun........

Try not to cut and paste the same post so many times to see how many responses you get. We are here to help.
Sandman, I think your on to something the similarity is amazing! Could be twins? HH :laughing7:
BK

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMO, Excal ll All the way it's Idiot proof and waterproof to what more could you ask for? HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally agree with all the other guys.
Stay away from the pulse ! I have personally spent 20 minutes digging a Bread Bag metal twist tie at 16 inches !
Excal the way to go.
Gary G.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know why you ruled out one of the best water detectors.... You can go from dry sand to underwater with the Excal and never have to ground balance it, it will tell you every time if your target is iron or not, you will not be digging deep holes for tiny pieces of iron......

tiggar

Sep 26, 2011
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
I couldn't agree more about staying away from the PI's....been there, done that, & dug a million holes for trash to prove it.....
you try finding the small black straight pin that keeps sifting thru your scoop, and sounds like a Quarter going off......
a big waste of time...IMO

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your looking for a water machine, and then a seperate one for the dry sand? Grab a PI machine for the water. The AT Pro would be fine for the dry sand, if its just a metered machine your after. You could drag a PI machine through the dry sand, if your feeling sporty, but not recommended unless your proficient with the scoop.

Alot of misconceptions out there. Every machine will locate trash. Makes no difference which you get. The excal, which has a null feature on iron, will dig just as much aluminum, pop tops, pull tabs, and bottle caps as the next one. Most PI machines the tone is discernible on iron, as its skippy. Easy to pass on those if you like. I dig them all myself. Prefer it that way, and find the most that way.

Don't fall into the 'it cost more so it must be better' mantra. PT Barnum said it best -- 'A fool and his money are soon parted'.

Things to consider:

a) Warranty.
b) Turn around time on service/repair.
c) Functions well out of box, or requires after market purchases for heavy use.
d) Machine selection based on targets - Are your beaches heavy hunted, if so, less in-water trash.
e) Scoop. Make sure you get a good, strong one. I've been through 2 this year, and hunt almost daily.
f) Boots. Hard sole. I like 5 mm mares boots myself.
g) Waders/Wet suit/Dry suit - water is cold, get something to keep you dry and warm.

Whatever you settle on: Patience, Positivity, and Persistence is key to your hunting and recoveries.

Get out and have some fun!

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to DewGuru. He is consistently one of the top producing hunters on this board. His finds far outnumber even the guys who write the books(you know who they are).

There are really 2 schools around here. The PI guys, and the Non PI guys(I'd say VLF guys, but the Minelabs are BBS which is another animal). You just have to determine which one you are.

No matter what machine you swing, if you put in your time and stay positive, you will make good finds. There is a saying that goes something along the lines of "10% of the guys make 90% of the good finds" That is true because they get out there and keep there heads down.

Buy a used Excal and a used Sand Shark. Try them both for a couple months. Sell the one you don't like or maybe keep them both. You could get a nice used Excal and a nice used SS for the price of a new Excal and you would have both. The majority of problems with any detector are operator caused. Take good care of your machine and it will take good care of you.

Nuff said.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Forgive me if I am dense, but are you related to Overkill, Overkill? He was a hoot by asking the same questions on many sections of Tnet and not taking the advice of anyone. But he was fun........

IT MAY BE OVERKILL - YOU NEVER KNOW.

BUY AN AQUA PULSE - END OF STORY.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:

IT MAY BE OVERKILL. YOU NVER KNOW.

BUY AN AQUA PULSE.

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Read the replies to your post of Dec. 11th and then go out and buy an Excalibur or a CZ-21. But I guess you have already completely ruled out the two most popular detectors for salt water. So here is my new advice for you. Go on eBay and buy one of those cheap Chinese made waterproof detectors. I hear they are great! :BangHead:

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
southfloridabeachhunter said:
Hello Again,

You all have helped tremendously giving this Newbie advice on my first detector purchase.

I am brand new at this and have spent the past week researching everything about what kind of metal detector to buy. I have seen countless reviews, videos, manuals and etc. I have just purchased a condo right on the St. Pete Beach in Florida. I am basically retired at 48 and will be there mostly as a snow bird. I plan on metal detecting instead of golfing everyday. My wife and I will be doing this together. I plan on going no deeper than waist deep in the ocean. All I know is I want a waterproof metal detector with a warranty. Also I will be doing wet sand and dry white sand from Key West Atlantic Ocean and Miami to St. Pete Beach and Clearwater Gulf Beaches. I have heard that the Excalibur is the best, but I am afraid of getting one of their lemons, which they say can happen 2 out of 10. I also am not into modifying or changing things like shafts and etc. I have crossed out the AT Pro now because it seems no good in saltwater. I originally thought buy 2 machines the Garrett Sea Hunter for waist deep saltwater hunting and the AT Pro for the beach, because it has a display unit. Someone said bad idea.
I don't want the Excalibur or the CZ21. I would really like ONE overall saltwater submersion to saltwater wet and dry white sand detector. These are the one's I am considering now: Garrett Sea Hunter with 2 coils $729 (know I will be doing alot of digging, but I still go to the gym and bench over 300 pounds, so I may get a better workout digging deep holes.) Tesoro Sand Shark $577 with a lifetime warranty. White's Beach Hunter 300 for $1000 (I really like the 3 LED lights for Iron, Gold, Silver). My question is honestly what would you all recommend as the best machine for me? If I want to spend $1000 I can get either one White's Beach Hunter 300. Or I can get the Sea Hunter or Sand Shark and get an additional wet salt sand and dry sand detector with a control panel and have more features?
I appreciate any input. I know I am driving my wife crazy about all my research, but I don't want buyer remorse. Is White's Beach Hunter 300 all they say it is? Is the Whites Surf PI Dual field a good machine also, it is $900.

Thank You for any advice.

Thank You
May I ask where you got the information stating 2 out of 10 Excals are lemons? Who are they?
Broken Knee

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ssshhhh, if he doesn't want an Excal, don't try to talk him into one, let him buy a PI...... The people who own the Excal will be happy he did...... The time it takes to recover those bobbypins he finds at 2.5 feet gives the Excal owners that much more time to cover that much more ground.......

I can cover a lot of ground with my Excals with their 15 inch coils while he is digging that hole, and I not digging any tiny pieces of iron.......

Beach hunting isn't like going to the gym, your right, you will get a lot more of a workout hunting in the water for 4-8 hours......

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think he is interested in metal detection at all as he is another of them Overkill types. If I am wrong, I apologize.

tiggar

Sep 26, 2011
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
I'm with you Sandman, the most experienced 20 year+ TH'ers have given him their advise, and he is just not listening or comprehending the information.....how many times do you have to repeat yourself.....

tiggar

Razr

Oct 4, 2008
Oregon Dunes
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark, Whites TDI,T2 SE, Tesoro Cortez.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a sand shark just go behind the others and still get your quota,lol..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions