Wading and snorkel diving...illegal in fl?

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's V3I, Garrett's AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, please help me out. I was reading in the relic quest book that came with my AT Pro, and it stated that Florida had changed the laws that beach finds were finders keepers, but that any finds from the water that was 50 years or older were illegal to remove. So does this mean we can't shallow wade or snorkel dive for stuff, and if a gold or silver coin ends up under the coil. We cant keep it? Or does this only go for deep water exploration? Sorry for such a newbie question, but I was really excited about getting my scuba cert next year and just going out in the keys and going hunting. But if I did luck up and find something, I dont wanna get in trouble. Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Keys is pretty strict, that whole area is a preserve and has rules on everything, and any historic items are not to be taken. You really cant go around with a metal detector and find old stuff legally. But the rest of Florida, excluding treasure sites, which are mainly on the mid/south East Coast, you can snorkle dive wade and detect and pick up coins and rings if you are lucky. Any wreck site that holds treasure is not allowed to use a detector in the water, but beach detecting is allowed. Most wreck sites are several miles wide and not marked well any more.

OP
OP
j.dean

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's V3I, Garrett's AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, thanks man...one more question. How far out do you have to go before the rules no longer apply. It said something about 9 miles on the east coast and 12 miles from the west? Not that this really matters right now, as im gonna be mostly beach hunting, and now probably just st. Augustine, but im interested in knowing. I mean I hate detecting or searching places that have strict rules... I would rather take the boat out and go the 12 miles or whatever and be free to see and find whatever. Again, I know this is such a newbie question to you guys, but im at the point where alot of you were when you started. I need more adventure in this boring life! Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10 nautical miles on the west coast and 3 on the east is the limit of state waters federal laws apply after that I am going by mem. but pretty sure :icon_scratch:

Jonnie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread