Looking for some tips...Thank you

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay everyone...I've beach hunted many times but I've done next to nothing as far as surf hunting goes. This winter I plan on doing some in NJ and NC. Since we are approaching the holiday season and I having a new born in the house my time has been very tight so I somewhat blindly ordered Caddis Neoprene Stocking Foot Waders...not even sure that is what I should have ordered. Do stocking feet waders have built in soles or do I need to wear shoes over the bottom???...I guess I will find this out when they arrive.

What I'm looking for here are some tips for surf hunting in cold weather? Can I wear something under the waders? If so what do you recommend? How do you stay warm out there? Anything else you feel many be helpful?

Thank you

NJ

Upvote 0

tiggar

Sep 26, 2011
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I wear long johns & heavy socks under the stocking foot waders with neoprene bootie type shoes over the stocking foot. I got mine from cabelas or bass pro, and they do have a sole on them.... hope this helps.....
HH

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, do get the neoprene booties with sole, regular sneakers will get sand in them and hurt your feet, I know this from doing just that. Those neoprene waders are the best, I assume that is what you got. The rubber waders can be dangerous, they can fill up with water and prevent you from getting up if knocked over by a wave. I know some guys use a belt, or a rain jacket over it but still they are dangerous in anything but calm water that is all waist deep.

tiggar

Sep 26, 2011
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
yea Steve,
a friend of mine drowned wearing rubber waders fishing on the edge of an ocean sandbar.....

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stevemc said:
Yes, do get the neoprene booties with sole, regular sneakers will get sand in them and hurt your feet, I know this from doing just that. Those neoprene waders are the best, I assume that is what you got. The rubber waders can be dangerous, they can fill up with water and prevent you from getting up if knocked over by a wave. I know some guys use a belt, or a rain jacket over it but still they are dangerous in anything but calm water that is all waist deep.

Thanks everyone...I did get the neoprene waders and they are chest high instead of waist...figured that would be better in the ocean. I will most likely not go any deeper the thigh high and that is only if it is rather calm. I will not be able to get the booties in time for my first trip so I will wear water shoes and see how that works out. Are the booties just for extra warmth? I will also do the long johns and insulated socks...I hope the waders are big enough too fit enough warm clothes...lol.

Thanks again. Keep the tips coming. I can't wait to try this out.
NJ

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Stocking foot is a waterproof sock...attached to the bottom of the waders or drysuit..best to wear hardsole's with these

Warm is, polypropylene thermals to wick the moister away from your body, on top of that I use the Rocky thermals, redhead wool hunting socks http://www.polypropylenethermals.com/ , I use the NRS titanium water boots, no sand, felt bottom..a good set of neoprene gloves, make sure they are wind proof or some clammers gloves. Get the red's like CraigPi '' http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Trapping+Gloves+Gauntlets/Polar+Paw+Full+Length+Insulated+Gauntlets

Not the Green like mine..to stiff, can't pick the small stuff

Also I like a good Neoprene hood..to keep the wind and rain out...final, some hot paks, air activated, get them at a hunting shop like Bass Pro

Attachments

• DSC_8415.JPG
    DSC_8415.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 945
OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OBN said:
Stocking foot is a waterproof sock...attached to the bottom of the waders or drysuit..best to wear hardsole's with these

Warm is, polypropylene thermals to wick the moister away from your body, on top of that I use the Rocky thermals, redhead wool hunting socks http://www.polypropylenethermals.com/ , I use the NRS titanium water boots, no sand, felt bottom..a good set of neoprene gloves, make sure they are wind proof or some clammers gloves. Get the red's like CraigPi '' http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Trapping+Gloves+Gauntlets/Polar+Paw+Full+Length+Insulated+Gauntlets

Not the Green like mine..to stiff, can't pick the small stuff

Also I like a good Neoprene hood..to keep the wind and rain out...final, some hot paks, air activated, get them at a hunting shop like Bass Pro

Looks like a nice setup. Is that a basket full of Excal batteries?? LOL I thought I was covered with two.

Thanks

NJ

Goggy

Dec 6, 2011
Tejas
Detector(s) used
CZ21
Primary Interest:
Make sure you get at least one size bigger in water shoes or boots than your current foot size or you will be like Cinderella's step sister trying to fit into the glass slipper, as the booties on stocking waders are a little thick. Some folks get two sizes bigger, but I get by with just one size bigger.

Goggy

Dec 6, 2011
Tejas
Detector(s) used
CZ21
Primary Interest:
tiggar said:
yea Steve,
a friend of mine drowned wearing rubber waders fishing on the edge of an ocean sandbar.....

It can happen. Mythbusters did a segment on waders and came to the conclusion that waders won't pull you under, but that is a dangerous conclusion, because what waders will do is become like a sea anchor, fill with about 100lbs of water, and if you are already tip-toeing to keep your head above water, you won't be able to pull that extra weight to get back inshore and be at the mercy of the current. And if the current pulls you into deeper water...

JMW

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 (10.5" coil), DetectorPro Headhunter PI (8", 11" coils), Tesoro Stingray (8" coil), Ace 250 (4.5" Sniper, 6.5" x 9" coils) and White's Classic ID (8" coil)
Primary Interest:
A nice manually inflatable PFD might be in order. Can't say I use mine all the time, but there are times and places where I won't go without it.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
A nice manually inflatable PFD might be in order. Can't say I use mine all the time, but there are times and places where I won't go without it.

I'll second that, ...Good Advice :thumbsup:

tiggar

Sep 26, 2011
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
Goggy said:
tiggar said:
yea Steve,

It can happen. Mythbusters did a segment on waders and came to the conclusion that waders won't pull you under, but that is a dangerous conclusion, because what waders will do is become like a sea anchor, fill with about 100lbs of water, and if you are already tip-toeing to keep your head above water, you won't be able to pull that extra weight to get back inshore and be at the mercy of the current. And if the current pulls you into deeper water...

that's exactly what they think happened to my friend.....

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing i noticed was all the Xcal batteries also. Wow. Whats the silicone for..... waterproofing or maintenance of the rubber?

Dew

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for their wader tips and warnings...safety first.

Anyone want share some general surf hunting tips. What can I do to increase my chances of having a successful hunt? The first beach I'm hitting I've found musketballs and a 1705 Spanish cob in the dry sand so I know the old stuff is there. This will be my first venture into the water other then walking in up to my knees when it was warmer out.

Thanks again

NJ

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Best thing you can do is join surfdiggers facebook page..lots of great video's for the Jersey shores..

Whats the silicone for..... waterproofing or maintenance of the rubber?
Yes, for my drysuits and the cables on my detectors..But mostly the xcals cables, they seem to fall short of good and need all the help they can get. I had to replace the O-Rings on my xcals..a few of them, special the top O-ring were dryrotted. Some good advice is to make sure that area get cleaned, with the hose and then silicon sprayed as often as ever hunt. On the batteries, I got a good deal on a couple xcal's that were in need of repair..they came with 5 batteries, and 1 alka pack batt.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks OBN,
I'm not on facebook so I watched them on YouTube. Good videos...I know a few of the video stars..lol.

Watching them hunt down in AC reminded me that there is going to be a huge metal detecting event in AC in May 2012 that I want to attend. I need to clear that with the boss. Since my B-day is a few days before the event I should be able to guilt her in to allowing me to sneak away for a day or two. If not then I'll convince her that we should take the kids for a weekend getaway.

NJ

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few things:

1. The Surf hunter FB page and a second page called "Da beach and More" will plug you into the local network of beach hunters. You will see what's being found and once you get to know the players, without spot burning, will be able to deduce the approximate locations of the finds. Of course once you get to know the members of these groups you will be invited to hunt with them and they will tell you what they are finding and where. These groups also give beach condition reports helping you zero in on where you want to hunt or, even of you want to hunt.

2. Another safety tip; don't hunt in the water bad weather or immediately following the passage of a front. The strong easterly flow will pound the beaches with high surf. Also, chk the weather and any wind over 15 KTs in any direction other than west, stay home and practice your knitting or something. Strong SW winds on many NJ beaches also a problem as the state's coastline is oriented NE to SW. Of course you want to hunt around the low tide. Hunting the last 3 hours of the outgoing will bring the best conditions.

3. The May hunt in AC sponsored by Minelab will be a really special event. Along with the usual seeded hunts there will be a real beach hunting contest. IOW, go hunt and show us what you've found. Being a May event, before tourist season, it should be interesting. Details are being worked out as to exactly what will win the hunt and how to keep the less than honest who might want to game the system from ruining the fun. Should be a great time where the winners can really claim best hunter rights!!!!

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks tjc,
I may have to break down and join facebook.

Ron told me about the Minelab event and the wife just gave me the green light. Sounds like a good time.

NJ

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out twice while down in the OBX. The beach was pretty sanded in so the targets were few. I did manage a few modern coins, a junk ring, a fishing weight marked 5 and the usual trash which included alot of brass from bullet casings. Ran into one other detectorist while down there and he was not having any better success.

I liked my new waders although they take a little getting use to...strange feeling waliking into the water with neoprene on. I did not have time to get neoprene booties so I used some water sandles that I already had. Just opened up the velcro straps then put them on and the straps just reached to keep them on my feet over the waders. I had some concerns about them possible falling off but they worked like a charm.

I followed some tips I watched on you tube videos and they really helped to increase my meager finds. I think once I find this beach not so sanded in that I will clean up.

Thanks again everyone.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions