3 hour x-mas hunt turned into 5 hour ER visit

Soup

Sep 26, 2011
Okinawa, Japan
So low tide was at 1am this morning on Xmas day. Nate and everyone I know I would normally go out with are all gone, so I decided to hit a place I looked at once in downtown Naha near the Air Port. The wind was really blowing the waves in and trash was floating everywhere, the first 2 & 1/2 hours went great yen was everywhere and I found a lot of rings. Around my 3 hour mark I felt something bite my leg right above my water boot. I did not think too much about it and just thought it was time to leave. I got out of the water and went into the bathroom to wash up and noticed my leg was bleeding and 2 marks on my leg that looked like a snake bite. I drove to the ER and explained what happened. 5 hours later was released with no symptoms of anything. I still do not have any pain but I looked at my boot and I can see where the other part of what ever it was mouth had chomped down on me. The doc did not know what it was, I have been bitten by a snake before and it sure felt like it. What ever it was I was lucky to be wearing my boots instead of my normal sandals. I think I will go there again tonight haha. Well thanks for stopping in and Happy Holidays to everyone. Hope you find the good stuff soon.

Yen 6,044 ($77)
9 Silver items at 61g
1 Chinese coin?

On a side note, I decided to start cleaning my silver because I like to look at the history of what the ring is etc. So I followed some Electrolysis advice. It works great for the silver rings and such.

Rob

Attachments

• X-Mas 001.JPG
    X-Mas 001.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,394
  • X-Mas 002.JPG
    X-Mas 002.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,367
  • X-Mas 003.JPG
    X-Mas 003.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,374
Upvote 0

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
silver, snakes and santa all in one day, gnarly soup :headbang: I got a 6-8ft cyclone swell for Christmas and I'm out tomorrow to see what pressies were left under the cuts !

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go to the same spot, be sure to bite him first this time around :laughing7:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just keep dragging in the goodies. I really dislike snakes.... especially those willing to bite.

Dew

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice booty, you must feel like Indiana Jones looking for treasures. He hates snakes!!

ianth

Greenie
Feb 21, 2011
Thank goodness your bite was not more eventful. Your previous snake bite.....did that also occur in Japan? Please keep us updated should more information on this current bite/ sting come to light. Gads!! Snakes slithering across salt water beaches in the depth of night....don't want to think about it!!

Well done on the finds and thanks for the pics.

Ian (Japan)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
HEADS UP DUDE

warning the area around naha is infested with OKINAWA HABU -A POISONOUS SNAKE !!!! DO NOT TAKE THIS LIGHTLY

I USED TO WORK ON A TUG BARGE COMBO VESSEL CARRYING FUEL TO WHITE BEACH (NAHA AREA) IN THE EARLY 90'S

HOPEFULLY YOU GOT A DRY BITE * BUT WATCH OUT FOR SURE .

UPON TELLING THE LOCAL GUARDS ABOUT WANTING TO "BEACH COMB" IN THE EARLY 90'S I WAS TOLD BEST NOT TO AS SOME SPOTS OF THE BEACH IN THE EARLY 90'S STILL HAD UNEXPLODED ORDANANCE FROM WW2 AS WELL AS THE "HABU" SNAKES

habu kill about 3% of those they bite and a additional 6- 8 % have long term bad effects from their bite , while the habu is highly poisonious their kill rate is low due to their bite being easily treatible if one gets taken care of in time .

the locals catch the snakes and make --"habu sake" --basically they pickle the snake in distilled rice wine / brandy booze,

the snake is quite fast and very aggressive normal size is about 4 to 5 foot

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
If you go to the same spot, be sure to bite him first this time around :laughing7:

Or at least pop him good with your scoop and change his mind about biting.
Be careful Soup and the silvers look better with a light cleaning. :thumbsup:
Gold Nuggets :hello:

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soup, I'm sorry to read about that mishap. Be careful out there

Nice silver you have there...some of those rings are "chunkers" :headbang:

Lorraine

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
A friend of mine was detecting this fall , on Long Island NY. He was bitten by a 5 foot Black snake, its not poisonous , but he fell into poison ivy when he ran from the snake. He was itching for days. But on a good note he found a nice reales. HH

OP
OP
Soup

Soup

Sep 26, 2011
Okinawa, Japan
Just to keep you all updated. I am fine, my leg does not even hurt anymore. I think I got really lucky on that one. Thank you all for the comments and as always good luck finding the gold.

Rob

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever this HABU is that Ivan detailed, stays were it is. I can't imagin what this thing is capable of doing. Now! One has to wear Snake Guards when hunting? I guess you have to know the area. Glad you had no effects.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
folks google - "okinawa habu" to see what it is -- nasty critter :whip2: back , back

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wondered why beach patrol kicked you out of the water the other day. Now we know.

California Girl

Dec 19, 2011
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, White's Mxt Pro & GMT, Gold Master ll.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: Next time avoid the bites and just go for the HUNT! Nice finds. Keep up the great digs. :hello2:

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was stationed at Camp Hanson on Okinawa. Was the Habu also known as the (Three Step Snake)?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
three stepper's were a form of snake ( blue or green krait ) common in veitnam --extremely deadly toxin wize -- called that because once bitten you'ld get about 3 steps and keel over dead * (according to the tales )-- BTW -blue krait's have a 50% death rate even IF you get anti venom.--if no anti venom is obtained its 100% fatal once bitten.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread