Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most pulses won't pickup the thin gold chains and if they did you'd be digging two foot holes for birdshot that would sound like a brass cannon. Those tiny chains mostly weigh less than a gram and the time saved would get you to cover more sweeps to find the larger items. Be careful what you wish for...... :coffee2:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your AT pro will pick it up.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lookindown said:
Your AT pro will pick it up.

Are you sure about that ?

May 31, 2008
Lake City, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 II, Ace 250, Gold Bug 2, Fisher 1265-X, C&G Bobcat, Previously Garrett Groundhog and Bounty Hunter RB 10
Merry Christmas!

I'm sorry to hear your Sand Shark would not pick up your small gold chain. I've always heard that they are famous for picking up small chains.

Bob

Attachments

• christmas-animal.jpg
    christmas-animal.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 934

Soup

Sep 26, 2011
Okinawa, Japan
I have not had any problems finding chains with my sand shark. I found a 14K gold chain and a 18K gold plated chain and 3 or 4 silver ones so far. I did notice they sounded really really week signals though, almost like it was really deep and they all were. Hope that helps.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to remember when someone says their detector can find gold chains you have to wonder if the chain had a larger than normal clasp or even a pendant. Some times there is another target under the chain. Silver chains are more conductive than gold and gold plated are over a base metal that could also be discriminated out. My AT Pro can't see a thin 14 kt. gold chain unless I rub the chain on the coil.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to remember when someone says their detector can find gold chains you have to wonder if the chain had a larger than normal clasp or even a pendant. Some times there is another target under the chain. Silver chains are more conductive than gold and gold plated are over a base metal that could also be discriminated out. My AT Pro can't see a thin 14 kt. gold chain unless I rub the chain on the coil.

This sounds more in line with my experience.
The only machine I have ever used that could get reasonably small chains was the Tesoro Stingray...
Which I now believe is the Tiger Shark...

I have a sand shark and in air tests it would not pick up the rope chain, but the clasp did sound off.

Attachments

• 18k ROPE CHAIN 1 (Large).jpg
    18k ROPE CHAIN 1 (Large).jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 2,480
  • 18k ROPE CHAIN 1 (Large).jpg
    18k ROPE CHAIN 1 (Large).jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 603

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not had much of a problem finding them -- in fact, heres a photo of one of them which had no clasp on it. I think alot of it has to do with position within the ground. Be it a ball, or stretched out. One thing I have noticed is that i've never had a chain in the scoop itself, everytime i've dug one, its always hanging out of my scoop. Heres some photos of a few ive found this year that I could locate a photo on quickly.

Attachments

• chain-1.jpg
    chain-1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 497
  • chain-2.jpg
    chain-2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 521
  • chain-3.jpg
    chain-3.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 551
  • chain-4.jpg
    chain-4.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 581
  • chain-5.jpg
    chain-5.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 912

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not sure what everyone is calling thin....My AT picks up a 4 gram 20 inch chain at 3 inches in air test, the chain, not the clasp. When I found it I was hunting with two friends that were using CZ21s and they asked if my machine detected it or was it an eyeball find. Their CZ couldnt pick it up. Maybe yall are talking about hair thin chains. :dontknow: This was found in freshwater with 7 bars sens. It picks it up hanging straight. I have a new CZ21 with 10 inch coil that I havent used yet. In airtest the ATpro kills the CZ on small gold, but when I test gold 5 grams and up the CZ shines. The bigger the gold the more the CZ beats my AT. Im planning to use the CZ in salt and the AT in fresh. My AT works in salt, but much better in fresh, I can run 7 bars sens in fresh with no falsing and only 5 bars in salt with a little falsing now and then.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread