Wifes a Joker

surfhunter

Sep 25, 2011
FL NATIVE
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark+ Excal.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i worked Christmas eve at the station and was up all night running fires and medical calls, literally no sleep. Off at 0700 and rushed off home before the kids woke up. A great way of getting over a bad shift is to watch kids reactions on Christmas morning, sure did the trick. So my wife gives me a big box to open and it's a Bounty hunter Pro 550. She says suprise I got you a new detector. I say wow this is great, she knows i hunt the beaches and ocean but hey I'll give it a go. We go through the usual, " you don't like it do you". "No honey I like it it's great". "Well you can take it back if you want". "No no I'll use it".

So after we all open are present she says," now lets go next door to give the neighbors there present". So we walk in and Jon my neighbor is sitting on his sofa, his wife and kids on the floor with stuff spewed about. Were there talking for about 3 min and Jon goes and grabs a big box and starts to open it. I immediately notice the MineLab logo on the outside of the box, It's a Excalaber II, and say,"wow Jon you got a really good detector there, she must of spent a pretty penny on that one." "Hey you can now go hunting with me"! You see Jon does not medal detect so I was happy he got a detector and I would have someone to hunt with. They all just sit there just looking at me, I'm like what? IT'S FOR YOU YOU BIG GOOF!! .......we all had a good laugh....day just got excellent!

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: A good joke pulled on you. Now is the wife gonna detect with you using the BH? What fun y'all will have together. Make a bet with her on who finds the 1st silver or gold.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll love the excal. Get a harness for it so that you can swing for hours. Good luck.

AdamBuchanan

Jun 22, 2010
Keystone Heights, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To funny,, I'm at the station as we speak. I work for Clay County, I cant wait for my 48 off to find me some swing time this week ! Its funny we're usually the ones pulling the jokes ! Just goes to show the jokers and can be had ! She did GREAT !! now go fill her hair dryer with flour ! :o good luck with that new machine.. and see ya on the beaches sometime.. :icon_thumleft:

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paybacks are HELL! Your face she saw was PRICLESS? NOW! Go for the GOLD!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I felt your pain when you saw it was a Bounty Hunter. Glad everything turned out OK. Forget the Pay back......

OP
OP
surfhunter

surfhunter

Sep 25, 2011
FL NATIVE
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark+ Excal.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never owning one is there anything I should do to Excal before I start to use it, other than whats in the instruction manual.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing I did was...

I got a vinyl woven belt and a pair of vinyl suspenders, punched two holes in the belt that lined up with the bolts on the control unit and made a chest mounted unit. It is a whole lot easier swinging one pound than four. Getting those batteries of the arm added at least three hours to every hunt.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That is one of the best surprise stories I have heard. Nice!! ending too.

California Girl

Dec 19, 2011
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, White's Mxt Pro & GMT, Gold Master ll.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: Good One. Now go find the treasures. Let us(TN) know what you find. Can't wait. Happy New Year!!!!!!!!! :headbang:

OP
OP
surfhunter

surfhunter

Sep 25, 2011
FL NATIVE
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark+ Excal.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife's so proud of herself she's telling everyone how good she got me. She got this detector from Kellyco, (typically I don't shop there, like to give business to smaller shops) but it's like a 30 min. drive from us. The Bounty hunter was part of there BOGO so I went there today to return it. Heads Up!! they take nothing back if it's open and charge a 30% WOW restocking fee!!! even if it's not open. So after having some uhm...words with them I made a even exchange for a Anderson straight shaft since I'm so tall anyway I need it. The only negatives I've seen with this detector so far without taking it out to the beach yet is how short the shaft is and that the battery charger has no visual light or meter to show charge level. Just say'n 1300.00 bucks. It says nothing in the manual of cycling the battery at least 3 times so it holds a longer charge, has any1 done this and do you think I should?

That got me thinking on the price. Since she's still a virgin I was thinking of keeping a log on here or just posts of my finds to see how fast she'll pay herself off. Since it's near the beginning of the years it would just be all of 2012's finds.

I would like a bit of advise on settings used. Maybe ChicaoRon could suggest some settings or tips. Coming after you Ron and that 1Lb. of gold!! LOL.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
surfhunter, I am a recently retired FF/paramedic/fire-rescue boat captain in Sarasota. I have an older Excal, the first model made-blue sword with green handle, blue headphones. I have used PIs for many years, and I finally came over to the BBS side. I like to have the sens at 1 or as low a number as it will be stable. Sometimes it has to be at 5 or 6, depending on the soil, saltwater, etc. Thresh hold just an audible buzz, volume fairly loud, depending on wind, waves etc, just want to be able to hear fluctuations of threshhold on deep stuff. Disc at 1. I never change that. I hunt in Disc, the threshhold goes quiet on iron in disc, and makes different sounds. But in pin point it makes same sound on all metals. I sometimes use PP when I am digging in dry/wet sand to pinpoint exact spot, then switch back once found. Pinpointing in disc is fine, but I hate digging a deep hole, and the target is in wall of hole. You will notice that the sounds will go back and forth, kind of change tones, that is normal, but annoying. If it is too bad, or if it happens if you swing too fast, slow your swing, and maybe turn down sens. I put a 15" SEF coil on it, and it is too much in the water, drags and is harder to pinpoint in the dirty,rough water and in the dark in the water. It is OK on the land, great in fact, but I normally use the stock 8" coil in the water, much easier to swing. I switch out to the 15" when I am going to hunt land only. As you may have found out, swinging the stock rod/original configuration will give you a pump/cramp/burn in the lower bicep. The long straight rod will help a lot. Good luck and keep us informed. Steve.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread