Which 10X14 coil for the SeaHunter?

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm thinking about getting the 10x14 coil for my SeaHunter, but there are 2 types, the open coil original and the PROformance eliptical which looks like a double d type coil. The original is 110 and the PROformance coil is 129 so do any or have any of you used either or both of these coils, and which should I get and why? Update: This is confusing, the site I'm looking at shows a double d type but the Garrett website only shows the 1 style 10X14, anyone know if there are 2 styles that work on the SeaHunter?Thanks

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I just know of the two, the 8 and the 10x14 inch, both mono coils..this is the kellyCo ad...are you talking about the Cx series

Attachments

• SNAG-0001.jpg
    SNAG-0001.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 752

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Since a pulse induction uses the same coil to transmit and receive, I cant see a DD coil even working. Maybe it is a folded close figure 8. That would still work, but I dont know if any better. It wouldnt work like a Minelab Excal with a double DD because they are not PIs. They transmit on one coil and receive on another. Most if not all that I have seen PIs have round, square or oval concentric coils. That is all I have. Do the Minelab GPX 4500 have DD coils?

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own both 10x14s, and the 8 inch mono. I like the 10x14 mono the best, the big DD coil is heavy, and is a bear to pinpoint with on whispers in the water. The big mono gets a little better depth, is lighter, and easier to pinpoint with. According to Eric Foster, monos (not concentric) have just as much coverage as DDs.

As for how the DD works, after a lot of testing, the DD coil seems to transmit from left side then receive from the right, then it transmits from the right and receives from the left, rinse and repeat.

The big Mono coil actually has 2 coils inside laying on top of each other, one transmit (tx) the other receive (rx), instead of one coil doing both tx and rx like a true mono. The advantage with this setup, is with a separate receive coil there is no errant noise from the transmit coil getting into the receive coil during sampling, so you can sample the signal earlier. With a true mono with one coil used for transmit and receive, you have to wait until the noise from transmitting dies down before you can sample, which requires a longer wait for sampling versus 2 separate tx and rx coils.

10x14 mono is the one to get, IMO.

The only advantage the big DD has is on super hot ground, it will be able to keep a super steady threshold, where as with the big mono over really hot ground you may have to increase the pulse delay (and lose depth on some small gold) to get the threshold steady and stop the falsing.

OP
OP
Captain Loosechange

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aka Nameless said:
I own both 10x14s, and the 8 inch mono. I like the 10x14 mono the best, the big DD coil is heavy, and is a bear to pinpoint with on whispers in the water. The big mono gets a little better depth, is lighter, and easier to pinpoint with. According to Eric Foster, monos (not concentric) have just as much coverage as DDs.

As for how the DD works, after a lot of testing, the DD coil seems to transmit from left side then receive from the right, then it transmits from the right and receives from the left, rinse and repeat.

The big Mono coil actually has 2 coils inside laying on top of each other, one transmit (tx) the other receive (rx), instead of one coil doing both tx and rx like a true mono. The advantage with this setup, is with a separate receive coil there is no errant noise from the transmit coil getting into the receive coil during sampling, so you can sample the signal earlier. With a true mono with one coil used for transmit and receive, you have to wait until the noise from transmitting dies down before you can sample, which requires a longer wait for sampling versus 2 separate tx and rx coils.

10x14 mono is the one to get, IMO.

The only advantage the big DD has is on super hot ground, it will be able to keep a super steady threshold, where as with the big mono over really hot ground you may have to increase the pulse delay (and lose depth on some small gold) to get the threshold steady and stop the falsing.
Wow thanks for the very informative reply. I knew I had seen 2 styles of the 10x14 coil. I will get the mono, thanks again for the reply and to the others who have replied as well.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yep, I forgot what it was called-Mono! Not concentric. I never heard about the 2 coil PI, but it has been a long time since I have been on the PI forums. Having made PI coils, I know they used to be just one coil. 2 coils sounds like the way it should be. Sounds like Eric Foster is still working hard on it! Apparently that is what the White's Dual Field is, which Eric was instamental in coming out on with White's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread