st. pete beach find

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
found a coin on st.pete beach. i posted pictures on "what is it" to see if anyone can help me with what it is.
after i walked off the beach a couple came up to me and asked what i found. i did not have the brains to put it in my pocket so they got a look at it.
i watched them as i walked to my truck. the guy and girl talked to an older man and here he came.
told me it was his and he lost it the day before. he gave me a basic description of the coin face.
i asked what it had on the back and he could not remember.
i said sorry and walked away. it said "the last supper"
i think he was trying to scam me!
anybody else have the same problem?
what do you do?
thanks, jack

Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got smart quickly .... if people ask i say junk or just another coin. Rings i turn my back to people and as quickly as possible put it away. I never take the time to look it over until im at the truck. If you spend to much time .... someone wants to see.

Dew

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People ask the same thing, I ask them what did they lose . If no answer ,I tell them just coins.

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember to take a quick look at your keeper
and put it away till you can look at it again later. A
lot of free-loaders will try to run a scam on anyone
just to get something for free. Like was mentioned,
tell them junk and some modern coins. HH
Gold Nuggets :hello:

OP
OP
urdaboss

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
thanks guys, a lot of good info. if it was his i would really feel bad, but if it was his he would know what it said!
from now on its either in my pocket or what did you loose! thanks, urdaboss
ps any idea what it is?

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Never tell anyone what you found. You might be setting yourself up for an assault or robbery.

I carry with me a small pepper spray and take it with me when on the beach. Especially at night when I am hitting the night time low tides. Anyone I see who comes up to me at night on the beaches are suspect of being a possible thief or worse. I get my shovel ready in an attack mode if I need to.

It is no ones business what you found.

But I will say this.....I do report to the IRS what I found as I pay all taxes that I am required to pay. (NOT)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I do not know what coin it is, but think it is just a token, not a coin you can spend.

I never really look at any targets I find while wading or anywhere. I slip them away for looking at later no matter how strong the urge to do the Happy Dance is. You never know who is watching you. We always get the curious people that are just being friendly and want to know what we find and I sometimes reach into the junk pouch to show the bottle caps, hairpins and junk.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
NEVER tell anybody except your wife what you found. Next time it could be the diamond ring you have been dreaming of finding. If someone you showed it to goes and tells a police office that you found THEIR ring and won't return it, guess who is in trouble? What I find is my business and mine only. JMHO.

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
about for hunts ago I had a father and son following me and re-digging every one of my holes by hand and eyeballing the sand, I'm never flashy with finds and after some time I realised they thought I was not recovering any of the goods :laughing7: ... however, recently I found a gold / ice half eternity ring while looking for a lost chain and the guy who lost the chain was following me in the hunt ... he was in such disbelief he told half the beach, one lady even asked if I'd like her to hold it in case I lost it again in the water :whip2:

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Can Slaw,
Whats gotten into you ? "Don't show anybody but your wife" ?
That's exactly how I lost 7 rings ! My wife loves them.
Actually, I totally agree with "Show your Wife"
I can go detecting anytime I want, In fact she about throws me out the door to go now! :):)

Urdaboss - stick with this user name when you are detecting - You are the boss when detecting. Put all your finds in your pouch ASAP and do not pull them out till you get to the vehicle.
Remember, people sit in their hotels/ houses/ cars and watch with binoc's. There is no hurry to look at your finds. In fact it's just the opposite - Your wasting time recovering another target.
If they ask, I tell them not much. ------ DO NOT TELL ANYONE !
Take care and keep the finds rolling!
Gary G.

OP
OP
urdaboss

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
:headbang:
thanks again to all that posted. a LOT of great info! But tell my wife or not? 7 rings gone to her? well i guess i will tell my wife, she bought me the ex-cal

surfhunter

Sep 25, 2011
FL NATIVE
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark+ Excal.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I hunt there are plenty of sand dollars so when people ask what I found I'll pull one out and say ,"Sand Dollars." :laughing7:

OP
OP
urdaboss

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
after reading your responces i have come to the conclusion i am very stupid! a guy called me who md's with me and he asked if that was me posting the coin i found. i asked why and he told me i sounded like a newbie.
he NEVER shows anything he found before he gets home. he reminded me about the time i thought i lost a watch i just picked out of the sand. i had set it in the back of my pickup truck with my scoop. watch was gone. i thought it slid out under the tail gate. he thinks someone was watching, and picked it up.
so, thanks to all who gave me a wakeup call!!!!!
:thumbsup:

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't show your finds. If someone lost an article they will ask you to find it for them. No one should know what is in your pouch but you. Unless you know them I advise you not to brag.

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Les West Central Fl said:
Don't show your finds. If someone lost an article they will ask you to find it for them. No one should know what is in your pouch but you. Unless you know them I advise you not to brag.

Shoot! Even the people that ask you to find something for them are not necessarily good people. I can't count how many times some one has asked me to look for something and when I start I see them laughing with their friends about the "wild goose chase" they have me on. Usually if it looks like a "for real" loss I will tell them I will try but the chances are slim and I won't take a lot of time out of my own hunting to look for their loss. I tell them to give me their name and where to reach them on a piece of paper and I will contact them if I find it. I agree with all the above answers.... don't show anyone your find. Wait til you get home to look at them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread