SunSpot new handle design

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Sunspot new scoop handle design:
I have been water hunting for many years and have used a bunch of scoops- some good, some bad. For the past several years I have been using Sun Spot Stealth scoops,both sizes and have found them to be of excellent quality and well adapted to hunting both here in SWFL & in the lakes in upstate NY.
So, when I saw that they came out with a new handle design I thought I might give it a try. Bear in mind that I am a died in the wool wood handle hunter and didn’t think I would really like the bent design. I also hated the thought of having to wrap the foam around the scoop to make it float but Chuck assured me that it ws a sealed unit and it would float. The first thing I did after assembly was throw it in my pool to see if it would float and was happy to see that it floated just as well as the wooden one. Before I got the handle I asked Chuck to install a ring bolt in the end because I drag my scoops attached to a tether. This he did and the handle worked well.
Now for the digging. I hunted both wet sand and in the water up to my neck in both sand and hard shell and I have to admit that is was a lot easier digging with the bent handle. IMHO since the scoop is just as important as the detector it is not something you want to cut corners on and years of hunting have proved me correct.
Just thought I would pass this along. BTW i am not a dealer or any way connected with sun Spot

Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About time someone gave us a review. Erikk.... i saw it when Chuck put it on the web. Im not a fan of the 90 degree handle but this adds an angle i like. Thanks for posting man. Im still draggen my RTG around. Got someone going to mod it this week for me a bit. Hope you are still cleaning house out there with that big ole coil.

Dew

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, I am thinking of getting a SunSpot, and went to their website last week and saw the new bent handle. It does seem good, but very pricey. But like you said, it is as important as your detector. The guys with the Sunspots dig faster than me with my RTG solid stainless. How is it bringing up the sand? The other with the straight handle, you just brought it up straight, do you have to angle it to keep the sand from coming out? I would suppose so.

OP
OP
erikk

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
stevemc said:
Yes, I am thinking of getting a SunSpot, and went to their website last week and saw the new bent handle. It does seem good, but very pricey. But like you said, it is as important as your detector. The guys with the Sunspots dig faster than me with my RTG solid stainless. How is it bringing up the sand? The other with the straight handle, you just brought it up straight, do you have to angle it to keep the sand from coming out? I would suppose so.
I also use the backsaver handle (cured my wrist problem) so when I bring it up it is pretty well empty when it hits the surface

OP
OP
erikk

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
dewcon4414 said:
About time someone gave us a review. Erikk.... i saw it when Chuck put it on the web. Im not a fan of the 90 degree handle but this adds an angle i like. Thanks for posting man. Im still draggen my RTG around. Got someone going to mod it this week for me a bit. Hope you are still cleaning house out there with that big ole coil.

Dew
Ended year .925 & started W 10K Best mod for that scoop is a smelter :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This new angled Sunspot handle saves you from getting that sip of water while pushing the point into the bottom.

Attachments

• hybrid-hand3.jpg
    hybrid-hand3.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 424

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread