To hookah or not to hookah?

pt1000

Jul 12, 2011
This is a questions for the hookah users out there. I have been contemplating if I should purchase a hookah or purchase another metal detector for a back up unit? I just cashed in last years finds and I will be receiving around $17,000 back so I was thinking that I deserve a new toy and I am leaning towards a hookah since I already own an Excal II 1000 and a Sea Hunter. My hunting style is free diving to 12' max and fanning and I have enjoyed hunting this way for 5 years with great success but it takes a lot of work. I was wondering if using a hookah would still keep the hobby fun and would it still be challenging (because I do enjoy the challenge just as much as the thrill of the hunt)?

do you find that setting up, tearing down, cleaning and storing your hookah is worth having one or should I ask do you find enough treasures to justify using a hookah for hunting?

Is there any hunters out there who only hunt with a hookah?

Upvote 0

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All right.

I am going to be the idiot here.

I have seen countless references to hookah diving.

So here it comes:

What the heck is a "hookah"?? ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diving with a hookah system is great and will open lots more area for you as you won't have to come to the surface for another breath and you can dive deeper or with a buddy. Will it be worth the extra effort of ownership. Only you can answer that question. There really is hardly any set up, just start the motor and breath. You should have diving lessons for your safety and confidence. I also carried a spare air tank with my BC and two dive knives for cutting fishing line if caught in it as you can't break it with your bare hands. There are many more tips and maybe other divers will chip in with suggestions.
My setup is by Kneen Engineering but there are many others. J-Sink makes a great outfit.
http://www.airlinebyjsink.com/

Attachments

• xlstudio2diverthumb.gif
    xlstudio2diverthumb.gif
    13 KB · Views: 2,026
  • xlstudio2diverthumb.gif
    xlstudio2diverthumb.gif
    13 KB · Views: 1,829

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have several, and a ton of scuba gear, and hookahs are great. I first scuba dove in the ocean in 1962. And have been doing it steady since then. You can stay down for about 4 - 5 hours on less than 1 gallon of gasoline for 2 or 3 people. You cant use scuba for that cheap, and it weighs about what a scuba tank, reg and backpack weigh. You still need a weight belt and mask and fins anyway. From a boat it is great, you just leave it in the boat, or with a float. From the beach, you would need a cart with beach wheels to carry the hookah down to the shore, and then lock it up somewhere, or put the cart back in your car. The only problem I know is the noise. And it wouldnt work if there are waves. Neither does any diving. What part of the world are you in pt1000?

OP
OP
P

pt1000

Jul 12, 2011
I'm located on the Island of Oahu, in Hawaii but I travel to the other Islands to treasure hunt as well.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In 1975 and 76 I lived on the North shore of Oahu, first stayed with friends on Wiamea Bay and then got a house just beyond Sunset Beach off Kam Hiway on Wehiwa Place. Right before Comsat Rd. Nice diving there. Wish I was there now! I guess that I cant let you try mine very easy! Too far away!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you could try "Snuba" too - I own a "tote & float"
"
I own largest Keene hookah - it is a pain if you cant unload at waters edge

but gets you out past the snorkel TH'ers
I have gotten gold out deep almost every time with it

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
I like a hookah, you can stay down a long time. if you have to fan 6" or move rocks, you can do it all at once. tanks have their places and advantages too. I river dive with a hookah that has a 6.5hp engine on floats for a dredge. A quiet battery one would be nice.

The river current can be strong and there is stuff to get tangled in. I have my airline wrapped around a rope that is tied off to the floats. The rope is shorter than the airline, so if you have to, you can hang on if you slip and get beat up by the current. I don't know if that would be practical in the ocean or not.

R

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oohhhh pt1000, I love a hookah! Just wish I had one of my own! 8)
I've never cared for scuba too much, but them hookahs is great!
Just remember to turn on the gas before you jump overboard! LOL! :laughing7:

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just reading the original post I was already picturing a guy sitting on the bank of a river, smoke "Medical marijuana" through his "Hookah" while dredging...just an accident waiting to happen :p. But in My area, I wouldn't be surprised if I came across such a scene.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been Hookah Diving since 1980. Haven't been in 5 years as i don't like diving alone, not a good habit to follow. Never took any SCUBA lessons but consulted a Master Diver named Hal Watts and he told me not to dive deeper than 1 atmosphere or 30 feet and never hold your breath. Just breath naturally and use common sense. I built my own system from a Gold dredge I used to have. I'm having it serviced right now with a new diaphram and motor and will start back up in the Spring diving with a friend who has her own Hookah. Brownie's 3rd Lungs are expensive but I found Octopumps are just as good and more reasonably priced. Do your own research before you buy. You can also build your own like I did from Keene Engineering: www.keeneeng.com . Any Honda or B&S 5hp can be utilized and you'll save a lot of money on freight.
You can also read material from author Dave McCracken in Happy Camp, CA who is a Gold Miner diver. Just type his name in SEARCH. One safety tip NEVER attach your airline directly to your harness. Put a quick disconnect on it so in case the air line gets tangled and you can't free it then with a flip of your wrist disconnect from air line and exhale as you swim to the surface.
Good Luck! :thumbsup: :coffee2:

http://www.octopumps.com/index.html

The ultra light floating hookah is a very portable breathing pump. Powered by an extremely light weight 2.5 horsepower engine you will easily achieve depths of 60 feet. The whole unit weighs in at under 35 pounds and you will barely notice as you tow it across the water. Great for those of you who clean your own boat bottoms, do pool maintenance, gold dredging or enjoy extended periods of underwater recreation. Comes complete with 53 feet of hose, a hookah regulator and a padded weight belt with quick connect lanyard. $829.00

Briggs & Stratton 550 10CFM
$1299.00
This 127CC 5.50 HP Gross Torque Briggs & Stratton Engine features Overhead Valve Design (OHV). Engine runs cooler and cleaner delivering more power, smoother operation, longer engine life, and improved fuel economy. Compact and dependable power. Excellent performance for mid-duty utility applications. Dura-LubeSplash Lubrication System Gear driven system continuously supplies oil to all internal parts. Automotive-style paper filter protects engine from dirt to extend engine life. Cast iron cylinder sleeve withstands wear and abuse while providing improved oil control. Dual ball bearings reduces wear for longer life. A 2.0-quart fuel tank for long run time. The Briggs and Stratton also has a 24 month warranty.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Another tip, when you are underwater there is no way to maintain your bearing so you don't keep hunting the same area twice. Take a boat anchor like a Danford type that digs into the bottom with a ten foot rope. Check the spot where you plant it first so its free of targets. Place the anchor and hold the rope in one hand while detecting with the other and swim in a circle, maybe tie a divers weight to the free end so you'll have a reference point when you have to move the anchor. You can cover a large area using this method and work it like a grid. Others take a six foot square of 1 inch diameter PVC pipe and fill the inside of the pipe with sand before gluing the right angles. The diver hunts the inside then moves the rig over to overlap and keep hunting. But it'll only work in areas where there isn't a lot of tidal surge.
Good Luck. :headbang: :coffee2:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THIS IS FROM A FEW YEARS BACK - i FOUND OLD GOLD OUT SNORKELING AROUND 6 FEET DEEP WATER AT LOW TIDE - i KNEW THERE HAD TO BE STUFF OUT DEEPER CAUSE THEY HAD FLOATING RAFTS FOR YEARS OUT DEEP
CLASS RING IS 1943 - COIN IS BARBER QUARTER - I GOT SOME OTHER OLD GOLD WITH HOOKAH HERE TOO

Attachments

• HOOKAH.jpg
    HOOKAH.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,226
OP
OP
P

pt1000

Jul 12, 2011
Mahalo, to all that replied with great suggestions and tips. I placed my order for a HydroAir from keene Engineering, I will let you know how it goes.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The HydroAir is a lightweight and highly efficient air supply diving system. The HydroAir is powered by a group 24 deep cycle marine battery or other similar 12 volt battery configuration. The dual air compressor system maximizes battery life by working only on demand by use of pressure switches. The compressors are mounted under water for cooling and providing minimum power draw and optimum air output. The sealed environment of the HydroAir system provides for its longevity and dependability. Its construction is of a heavy duty Marlex plastic in a "safety orange" color for high visibility and it is extremely stable, even in rough water conditions, due to its low center of gravity. Virtually maintenance free, the HydroAir is quick, easy and fun to use!
The HydroAir comes equipped with flotation, a vinyl float cover, stainless steel hardware, diving flag, built in straps and handles for easy carrying. Hose and battery are not included.
Specifications:
Body Dimensions - 23" x 18"
Flotation Dimensions - 13" x 32"
Running Time - 2 to 4 hours depending on consumer requirements.
One Diver can achieve 75 feet in depth.
Two Divers can achieve 25 feet in depth
Net weight 29 pounds
Unfortunately, due to shipping restrictions we are unable to offer the appropriate battery for this system. We apologize for any inconvenience.

http://www.keeneeng.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread