Fisher CZ-7a Pro in Saltwater

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have an older Fisher CZ-7a Pro metal detector. I would like to start detecting in the water along the beaches here in NJ where I live (LBI, Seaside, etc.). Anyone have experience using this detector in saltwater? Am I better off buying a new (used) detector specifically for this? If so what would everyone recommend? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never used the CZ-7a at a saltwater beach but have the CZ-6a. Both are two freq units like the totally water proof CZ-20/21 which would be better if even walking in wet sand because of the water vapor. The 7a should do you well if placed in a baggie and chest mounted. But the king of the saltwater sand is the SOV GT with the addition of the WOT coil. It will not respond to any but the largest iron with Iron Mask on but still respond to a gold ring near it unlike the CZ's.

http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/fisher-research-cz-7a-pro-quicksilver-metal-detector

Good Luck,
Sandman

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 7aPro works great at the beach. I run mine in Salt mode, All metal at about 8 sensitivity (or a high as possible). When I hit a target I just switch to I.D. to make sure it's not iron. You will love it. You say "in the water" and I assume that means wet sand or waters edge very shallow. If you intend on going any further than about a foot deep I would go with a waterproof detector. Good Luck:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Jersey Hunter

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
biggmike, is there anything found in 1 foot of water or do I need to go deeper to find gold jewelry?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Baywalker uses a Fisher CZ6a in calm shallow salt water and wet salt sand and he does well with it. Like Sandman said the CZ series is all pretty much the same, with the CZ21 and CZ20 being waterproof. If you plan to do anything beyond just getting the coil underwater in calm water, please do waterproof the box tightly. Or of course it will ruin it.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jersey Hunter said:
biggmike, is there anything found in 1 foot of water or do I need to go deeper to find gold jewelry?

Jersey Hunter there is plenty to be found in the edge of the water and wet sand. That's how most of us started out. A lot of the finds being posted this time of year come from there. Look on YouTube and search "wet sand metal detector" or any combination of words that define what you want to do and there are tons of videos to watch. I can tell you this though. The whole time I was hunting the wet sand and shallow water I was looking at where all the swimmers were and thinking to myself "If I could just get out there I could find more" and I was right. If I could get a waterproof detector I would if I were you. There is no hurry though. The water is mighty cold right now so hit the beach at low tide (make the low tide time about the middle of your hunt) and see how you like it. I would do that first before I drop a grand on more equipment. You will need a good sturdy scoop if you don't have one. It is a must have on the beach and don't skimp here. It is just as important (if not more) than your detector. http://www.rtgscoops.com/rtgroyalscoops.html After a few hunts you will know what to do. Now when it comes to the best waterproof machine..... Well, we can help you with that when the time comes ::) Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Jersey Hunter

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK BiggMike, I'll bite! ;D Whats the best waterproof detector??? Also what size holes in the scoop? 1/2" or 5/8"? Thanks, I appreciate all the advise.
Marty

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jersey Hunter said:
OK BiggMike, I'll bite! ;D Whats the best waterproof detector??? Also what size holes in the scoop? 1/2" or 5/8"? Thanks, I appreciate all the advise.
Marty

IMO there are two choices. The Fisher CZ21 or the Minelab Excalibur. I use the Fisher and could not be happier with it. I think the Excalibur is just as good but I have never used one. There is a huge range of water detectors and prices plus the PI option so you need to do some research and figure out which is best for you. I also like the 5/8" holes but then again I hunt with a lot of small shells and it drains better. If I were in a more sandy area I would use the 1/2" scoop. Here's a lot of good reading on the subject....

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=+si....,cf.osb&fp=5ac088929e1bc45b&biw=1024&bih=614

OP
OP
Jersey Hunter

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank You so much for all the info. I will definitely start doing my research. I can't purchase a new one right now as I just bought the M6. I will get myself some boots and a good scoop and start with the CZ-7a in low water for now and maybe by summer I can get a waterproof detector. I started this hobby about 12 years ago and got busy with work that I stopped and just restarted this year. Boy am I having a blast.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 7a will do just fine but remember don't get the housing wet. Watch the tides and try to hit the beach when there is a negative low. I used to hunt the wet sand at night because it was a lot cooler. I always hunt with a partner at night though. Good Luck

OP
OP
Jersey Hunter

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry but what is a negative low? ???

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you look at the tide tables for your area, you will see that a couple times a month that tides are either real high or real low or both. This is because the moon and the sun have an effect on the tides, and when they are in phase together, the tides will be very low and very high. There are 4 tides in a 24 hour period. Every 5 hours and 50 minutes or so there is a tide. That is because the moon is 50 minutes slower than the sun in revolutions around the earth. So each day, each tide will be 50 minutes later than the day before. You have a low low tide and and a high high tide. You also have a mediocre low and high tide. You are looking for the low low tide, and hopefully it has a - in front which means it is lower than normal. The average low is called low mean water. That is what all marine charts are based on-the depths on the chart. So what you want to see is a -09 which means it is 9/10ths of a foot lower than normal. In your area it could be greater. Go to any bait shop or fishing place and get a tide chart for the month. Or find one on line.

OP
OP
Jersey Hunter

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for this information. I'm glad I came onto the forum. Everyone is very helpful to the newbies.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jersey Hunter said:
Thank you for this information. I'm glad I came onto the forum. Everyone is very helpful to the newbies.

Here is a chart for New Jersey. You can find just about anything on the net. Saltwatertides is the one I use. Look for the beach, month , date and amount of days you want. You will notice that some of the days each month will have a negative or minus sign by a low. That is the negative low dates.

http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/newjerseysites.html

Burldrives

Sep 26, 2011
St Petersburg Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Jersey I am or ginally a Jersey guy my self moved to Florida 6 years ago grew up summers in Waretown.
I hunted parks in Trenton during the 80's till I got held up. Anyway there where several clubs in Jersey back then. A great way to learn is on Utube look up gravediggermax he has many videos on beach hunting and tells it like it is. Some folks here have many detectors. I bought an older used pi ( pulse induction ) and am very disappointed. now saving for a better machine. After a good nor'easter storm you should do well
Burl PS please send NY pizza, bagels, wawa coffee and fresh Pollock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions