Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gulf Shores is where I am from but I moved away years ago. Those beaches are packed in the summer months so there has to be some gold waiting to be found.

shot410ga

Jan 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would not waste my time, if I was you. The beaches, since the big oil spill have been dug up and sifted so many times you'll be lucky to find a rock. They have had mega machines and crews digging down and sifting three feet in some places. And crews still come out every time any oil is spotted. This is from West Florida to Louisiana. Sorry!!!

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
They have a small crew with ATVs cruising looking for globs of oil at low tide. They will put any globs found in a plastic bag and cart it off. There is no big digging operations going on. The beaches are white and pristine. It was that way in the summer too. I find clad but no gold. The reason the pickings are slim is because there are many folks doing what I am doing. But, they detected with the beaches full of people in the summer. I do not see another soul detecting this time of year. I am waiting for Spring Break. The beaches will again be full of folks. There are tons of condos but all are, for the most part except for some snow birds, empty. The owners rent the units out in the summer and spring break. There are many old schools, Spanish finds, and Civil War finds in the area. It would be nice to find someone else to hunt with.....jim

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up down Fort Morgan rd. Lots of CW action and there was spanish silver found in the 30s. I can even tell you the names of the family who found it .They never paid taxes on it so they tried to keep it hush,hush.

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
JR,

It was a pleasure meeting you. I charged up the TDI Li-ion batteries and we will give it another try for the small nugget you lost in the yard. I got a new Stealth scoop today and it is very well made. I hope the next time we go out I get more than 6 cents. The beaches here are pretty worked out. I am seeing that the wind and tides are moving the sand from the beach in Gulf Shores. The sifters did not get it all as I was finding coins this past week that were down deeper than what the crews removed. I found a 1939 Wheat penny last week on the beach there....jim

wecandigit

Feb 8, 2011
shot410ga said:
I would not waste my time, if I was you. The beaches, since the big oil spill have been dug up and sifted so many times you'll be lucky to find a rock. They have had mega machines and crews digging down and sifting three feet in some places. And crews still come out every time any oil is spotted. This is from West Florida to Louisiana. Sorry!!!
The beaches will replenish by beachgoers. It will be like hunting any other popular beach. Spring break and summer with 85° water is on the way!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a bit further east in northwest Florida. I've only gotten out once recently and it's the first time I've ever been skunked. I didn't hunt a long time though, ergonomics on the AT Pro I was using SUCK.

I didn't get out over the summer or fall. My wife passed away a year ago and I've been battling health issues ever since. I'm looking forward to this season though. It looks like I will be medically retired and have a lot of time on my hands. I may have to use training wheels as my own balance is as bad as the AT Pro. At least I can fix it on the detector :)

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I would have seen your post earlier....we were down there in January for a week. I hunted several days and found a few bucks in clad and a girl's class ring (found owner and returned). Found a lot of junk, such as bobbie pins, bottle caps, and cans. The most frustrating thing was all the small bits of rusted iron, especially near the water line. On the plus side, I didn't see another detector the entire time we were there.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coincrawlin said:
Wish I would have seen your post earlier....we were down there in January for a week. I hunted several days and found a few bucks in clad and a girl's class ring (found owner and returned). Found a lot of junk, such as bobbie pins, bottle caps, and cans. The most frustrating thing was all the small bits of rusted iron, especially near the water line. On the plus side, I didn't see another detector the entire time we were there.

Those iron bits are a pain. They disc out easily on dry sand, but when wet with salt water they sound off on everything I've used except my Sovereign.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Heading to gulf shores next week. The 12 year old is bringing his detector. We’ve never hunted anywhere except our own yard and never been to gulf shores before. Any tips or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread