dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got up real early this morning for low tide. When I hit the main beach I saw that I wasn't the only one there. I have to say the place looked like a moon scape. Huge craters everywhere and some were friggin HUGE! I was still dark and there were joggers and walkers out. I was afraid one would break an ankle. There was another guy there who I initially thought was making the mess but as it turned out he was filling in the holes from someone else. We talked for a bit as he thought I was making the mess too.

He had spoken with a life guard who told him there have been a ton of complaints and that we are all being watched. It DOES NOT TAKE A LOT TO CLEAN UP YOUR MESS! Please so we don't loose our privilege of detecting on that beach and all other beaches in Pinellas county.

Upvote 0

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is always some idot that does that. I once told some guy to please cover his pot holes , that someone could get hurt and he went into a rant. Said kids dig bigger holes. I told him the difference is he is an Adult and should know better.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw the one by the pier you mentioned -- Look like a back hoe came in there. >:(

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Years ago about 10 - 12 years I guess, 3 guys came from Orlando, at least 1 was using a Fisher CZ20, and about the middle of the day they showed up at Siesta Beach. They worked the dry sand. I had been working the water. I talked to them briefly when I went up to my truck for some lunch and a drink, then went back in the water. One had told me last time they were there, one guy found a silver cross. They left a couple hours later, and it was obvious where they had detected as they walked dragging the scoops behind. They gridded areas, and when they dug a hole, they left it open, and threw the junk trash back in. Didnt fill one hole and there were plenty. I found this when I was leaving, and since I had my detector with me I found that they left much clad coins, quarters and nickels, lots of them. Never even dug them. Weird. I didnt go all over, just a little and found a bunch of change. But I filled all their holes, took out all the metal trash they threw in the holes first, and did post it on here, the old Tnet, but never got any reaction from the culprits. That was the worst I have seen, usually people do fill in the holes and take their trash. I usually work in the water, where it isnt so bad. But when I do work the wet or dry sand, I fill my holes back in. And I always take any trash i find. It's true, one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. They can get someone to say that the detectors are not filling holes, and we want to ban them. That is all it takes is one person at a city hall meeting or what ever to get that to happen.

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FILL YOUR HOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too have seen large open holes on all the popular beaches and it is just a matter of time before enough people complain(and rightfully so) and we get banned. Not to mention all it takes is one jogger/walker to sprain an ankle in one and all hell will break loose. Even if you just take half a scoop on a target, just drag the sand back over the hole and give it a step to pack it. As for leaving your trash in the hole, that is the craziest thing I've ever heard!! Unless you are never going to detect that beach again, you are just making more work for yourself next time.

:angry5:

Aaron

Jan 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys as the title says im new to the treasure hunting game, and i have been DT'ing out at clearwater beach with my father who is also new and i can tell you even being new to DT'ing world common sense says fill your holes up, i was even having my son 3.5 years old help me so that one day if he wanted to get into it it will already be instilled in him to fill his holes, as just starting this fun adventure i would hate for somebody to ruin it for me and all the other treasure hunters out there.

looking forward to hopefully seeing some of you out there, and happy hunting

Wesley

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Not filling holes, and not taking your trash is like gun hunting on somebodies private property and leaving the cattle gates open, and killing non game animals and just leaving them and shooting signs and bee hives just for target practice, and this does happen, and obviously that person and any of his friends will never hunt on that cattle ranchers property again. And leave a bad taste in his mouth should someone who doesnt do that asks about hunting his property. But that is one property owner. The beach is city or county owned, but all it takes is one person complaining to get the ball rolling to get rid of us. And it could spread to other cities and counties if started.

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the same thing happen before, a bunch of guys came from another area and did the same thing and i asked one where are you from and he told me and i told him i'm goeing to his area and do the same and that woke them up fast, as bad as it is right now and we don't need jerks like that tearing up the beaches and not filling holes.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same trouble on our freshwater beaches and even in the water. The guys say the water will fill the holes and after time it will. But in the shallows where the kids play it is worse. The county is talking about closing the parks to metal detecting as they were in the past because of damage in the grass. Its not all newbies either doing the damage.

Burldrives

Sep 26, 2011
St Petersburg Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was there on Monday and saw the same thing . Out of about 6 guys only one left holes in the wet sand where most the joggers are , but that is all it takes. Later I met a father and son using a bucket and small shovel but still making a mess . I showed him how to use a long handled scoop and explained to him what would happen to us all if people continue to make a mess. He was very appreciative . A smile and on his way.

Burl

gssteve

Jul 4, 2011
fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for posting the reasons to fill the holes you dig on public lands, i have lived here for 30 years and have been detecting in pinellas co. for 2 years. this hobby has become very popular in the county in a. 2 to 3 year time frame. i will fill in any hole i dig and any hole i consider dangerous to the walkers or runners. there is a huge difference between a 3 foot by 3 foot sand castle and a 6 inch diameter 1 foot deep hole. sometimes i follow the speed detecting, non hole filling people and catch them on there way back,show them what I've found behind them and tell em how many holes i filled for them;not happy birds after that.

badman#5

Greenie
Jun 7, 2011
the hole by the pier was dug by a guy and his wife from Ga.thay had a excal.the hole was about 4ft across. :BangHead:newbes christmas present?sales are up at minelab,the fun and hobby are gone :angry5:take the gold leave the trash for the guys with puls machine like me white surf master makes you a beach cleaner pick it all up.

badman#5

Greenie
Jun 7, 2011
once upon a time I over herd a guy talking at an arrowhead show how he had found a small gold bead in an indian mound that he had to break an intact grave bowl,the bowl was priceless,lack of knowlege can mess things up.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Really wanted to skip this post....

Really wanted to skip this post....
But its dear to me that we have such a great amount of hunters that just believe it's there right to just do as they please.I use to think it was limitted to just a few but now I know better.We all have horror stories so won't bore you with another! While NOT this post I have come to learn over the last two years posting on many forums. I have been able to meet some hunters and matched forum names to faces.While this has mostly built friendship's I can truly say some have not! I have seen some make post about filling in holes and taken trash only to find out they are one of the bad hunters not doing what they claim to preach! I don't get it! Want to cringe more go to you tube and watch hunters dig up parks with shovels, picks and leave an area like its turned over garden. And we wonder why we are loosing hunting sites and seen by the public as thief's? People these are not just newbies these are folks that have been hunting for many many years! They just as fast tell you to shut the @^%$ up, should you approach them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions