Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Had a real good low tide last night that pushed into the negatives. I had great expectations but after the last hunt of 2 hours I was getting pretty cold. Something had to change this time and it did. I decided to make a trip to the scuba shop and buy a shorty wetsuit. Once I saw how cheap they were ($62), I decided to pick up a decent dive knife and neoprene holder for the leg. So I got out of the store for just a tad over $100. Not bad I guess, but I would have liked the suit to be a tad thinner, and I didn't feel like driving to Foster to check out their larger selection of suits.

With Jason just arriving back in town from his Christmas vacation, I had a feeling that he would want to go out.... especially since he had a brand new Excal waiting for him at the post office. My wife and I had lunch with him and his wife, and I could see how much he wanted to go, so I told him that Rob and I were already staking claims on some real estate to hunt that night, and he was always invited.

I called Jason after his bowling league game and he asserted that he was definitely down with going out. I follow up call to Rob laid the plan in motion and we all were at the designated meeting point on time. After packing everything into Rob's van, we headed down the road a ways to a little hunny hole we've been working.

The weather was dismal... rain, wind, and not a lot to look forward to weather wise. That's my kind of hunting!!! With weather that nasty, you're guaranteed to be left alone and not run into any roving security patrols or drunkards on the beach.

We follow our normal patterns and do what we usually do... one person in deeper water, one in shallower water, and I stay in the wet sand area.

The tide is low... real low and it's not long before I nab a large silver ring. The thing is huge... weighing in at 17 grams I find out later. Too bad it's not a fatty 18k tho.

I tie in with Jason and he's doing well with the new Excal. There's always a learning curve, but he's doing admirably.

The hunt continues until 2 am, so we felt pretty accomplished for the 3+ hours we did hunt. While nobody scored any gold or pt, it was nice to have the clan back out and doing our thing.

So here's the plundering for the night....

3,160 yen $42
4 silver rings - 28 grams

Happy hunting everyone and thanks for stopping by to take a looky loo.

003-19.jpg

001-23.jpg

005-13.jpg

Upvote 0

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post , Bobbypins

I like all those silver rings....the "fatty" has an interesting design...any idea what the design means?

Great hunting!

Lorraine

Soup

Sep 26, 2011
Okinawa, Japan
That was a good post Nate. It was fun to get out again with the whole crew. I still have not even looked at what I got for the night. When I got home, through the bag in the sink took a shower and hit the sack. Woke up got ready for work and am still at work until tomorrow morning. How did Jason end up doing?

Rob

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I'm not sure how well Jason did, but I want to say he thought he had around 1,200 or so. Could be more. I don't think that's too bad considering that was his first night with the Excal.

ianth

Greenie
Feb 21, 2011
Looks like a positive start to the new year. The addition of the SDW (Snake Defensive Weapon) may also be useful in the displacement of some of that slag coral!

Most of my beaches up on the east coast of Japan have sanded in and the last time I was out a week ago netted me 7 coins or about 5$; this from a beach that over the past six outings had produced over 100$ per outing. So, it was fun while it lasted.

Just came home from a short stay at the hospital where a small basal cell carcinoma was removed from the tip of my nose which required two skin flaps and over 30 stitches. Ouch!!! These early year low tides at night are one of my favorite times to hunt but for it will be February before I get back into the game.

Until then, I will look forward to your posts as well as the rest of the Naha gang.

Ian (Japan)

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
ianth said:
Looks like a positive start to the new year. The addition of the SDW (Snake Defensive Weapon) may also be useful in the displacement of some of that slag coral!

Most of my beaches up on the east coast of Japan have sanded in and the last time I was out a week ago netted me 7 coins or about 5$; this from a beach that over the past six outings had produced over 100$ per outing. So, it was fun while it lasted.

Just came home from a short stay at the hospital where a small basal cell carcinoma was removed from the tip of my nose which required two skin flaps and over 30 stitches. Ouch!!! These early year low tides at night are one of my favorite times to hunt but for it will be February before I get back into the game.

Until then, I will look forward to your posts as well as the rest of the Naha gang.

Ian (Japan)

Sorry to hear about your surgery. Hopefully you're in good spirits and you'll be back to your "A" game before you know it.

Our beaches here don't move that much sand in most areas. While it does some... the reefs edge that's a few hundred meters off shore really does wonders for keeping the waves in control during the high tide.

I love these late night low tides... it makes my job of hunting a lot easier in the water, and we don't get bugged much by the locals. I hate the charades game.

Best of luck my friend. I feel some gold soon.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man,I miss hunting the tide cycles in Korea.... Yes ,the night hunts are much more peaceful. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions