TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just wondering, not trying to be a naysayer, I would be interested in finding out what a jeweler
would say about that cross. It's an interesting find, but as a long time treasure hunter, if I was to find something like that I would question the gold content becuase of the discoloration of the metal and what appears to be pitting on the back where the markings are.
The Ring to the right looks good.
Just wondering what a jeweler would say.

OP
OP
S

snooksion

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
TORRERO said:
I'm just wondering, not trying to be a naysayer, I would be interested in finding out what a jeweler
would say about that cross. It's an interesting find, but as a long time treasure hunter, if I was to find something like that I would question the gold content becuase of the discoloration of the metal and what appears to be pitting on the back where the markings are.
The Ring to the right looks good.
Just wondering what a jeweler would say.
good eyeball torrero. its the real deal. the discoloration is due to it was sitting next to iron.there is zero "pitting"any where. found numerous pieces like this.i will try to get better pics.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks a little better over here...

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=449991.new#new

although still not totally convinced, it does look a bit better...

The "pitting" I refer to is the "Orange Peel" look the back has, Rarely do you see gold like that.
You can see it in the old and the new pics.

BOXING63

Jan 7, 2007
PIRATE ,CT
Detector(s) used
Excalibur ll, Sovereign GT / New England Detectors USA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WTG very nice hunt snooksion :icon_pirat:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks fine to me. We all know about staining caused from leaching of iron based metals in proximity of gold finds. As far as the "pitting," thats probably from the cast itself. Pendant was made to be worn facing only one direction. Kind of like the back of my hollowed out pendant that was made by a friend of mine who dabbles, notice the back hollowed out part especially and below too-

100_5678.jpg

And some rough surfacing on the front, not the scales, but the head area, probably due to excessive releasing agent.
100_5679.jpg

Sweet find!

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great yellow for sure. Nice hunt! :thumbsup:

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here is my link for buying gold test kits! I never want to wonder! The second I get home from the hunt I want to know what Karat I really have!!! Just wear gloves if your going to test your own gold as the test solutions are dangerous! They are Acids and you do not want to have contact with them on your skin.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,419831.msg2997598.html#msg2997598

OP
OP
S

snooksion

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
i have one. tested it on the stone. tested true.than cleaned it with the 18k the whole thing.you can see it has been down for a long time.when i put the 18k on it if any part was fake would have seen it instantly.also me camera pic looks off "color needs adjusting".there was no question it wasnt real when i first found it. weight is dead on.if you seen it in person you would have no doubt.also ive seen enough gold. to know it was real. if it was"iffy" i wouldnt of even posted it

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice snook! You amaze me! I do have to talk to you about some things and will call today.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snooksion said:
i have one. tested it on the stone. tested true.than cleaned it with the 18k the whole thing.you can see it has been down for a long time.when i put the 18k on it if any part was fake would have seen it instantly.also me camera pic looks off "color needs adjusting".there was no question it wasnt real when i first found it. weight is dead on.if you seen it in person you would have no doubt.also ive seen enough gold. to know it was real. if it was"iffy" i wouldnt of even posted it
Yeah, the more gold you handle the easier it is. I have a test kit myself just to double check,in the rare event that I may be wrong. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions