A question about your beach hunting techniques?

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Beaches vary according to location.

In my situation (Okinawa), I like to hunt the low tide line... where the beach slope hits the hard pan and goes horizontal. That little trough has an abundance of heavier targets on MY beaches. Yours may be different depending on how yours is set up with the tides, currents, and beach erosion.

My second favorite spot is to get a nice negative tide and hunt the deepest water I can manage to get to and still dig effectively. This is the last stop before a hookah is needed. Touched very seldom, it's often very very profitable.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't hurt to hunt the areas that are heavily populated with sunbathers either :tongue3:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
1869er

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just curious because I've always usually hunted close to the shore line during low tide, and have found a few things... But recently on some night hunts, I started hitting higher up, and was getting about equal to or even a bit better good targets, away from the water edge.

Bobbypins, I think your right... it does probably depend on the particular beach you go to.... I'm on the Gulf of Mexico... Very little water erosion, and little water movement... It's basically like a big pond... unless of course there's a storm.

Sandman, that's a good link, thanks... I was just reading over the techniques pages!

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me it all about high traffic areas and attractions. If it's possible to cover the dry sections they can produce too.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt from the shore to neck deep water, I look for the troughs.A trough is where every thing settles. Remember the Ocean is like a big Gold Pan ,your rings and other heavy thing all collect in one spot ,but it's up to you to find that spot. In 2004 I found a spot where I found 36 Gold Rings in 10 Days. HH Ron Lord

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ron lord said:
I hunt from the shore to neck deep water, I look for the troughs.A trough is where every thing settles. Remember the Ocean is like a big Gold Pan ,your rings and other heavy thing all collect in one spot ,but it's up to you to find that spot. In 2004 I found a spot where I found 36 Gold Rings in 10 Days. HH Ron Lord
36 gold rings in 10 days...incredible...how big was the area the rings came from?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many people have found multiple rings in one small spot?

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i have found 3 different finds in 1 place.
a coin, watch and ring. wintin a 5 foot place.
the sand was flat, then there was like a river in the ocean. (sounds stupid to me too)
but that's what i hunt.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
3 gold rings in about a 5 foot area, at about the same depth..all different weight..21gr----1.5gr----4gr...all mens rings...very odd for the area, where most of the finds are womens, light gram rings

I've heard after a storm that at least 14 gold were found in a small area, on the beach I detect ever summer

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lookindown said:
How many people have found multiple rings in one small spot?

In the past 6 yrs I've gotten lucky......finding two gold rings a couple of times in small areas around 8x8; also found combined silver(2) and gold (1) rings in small trough area on two different occasions.

Doesn't happen often, but it sure is fun when it does happen.

Lorraine

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the short time ive been water detecting ive found much like sand hunting, if you find one target do a few rings around the area you might find more... i have. Items settle to equal weight unless it hits hard pan or a larger target to keep it from settling.

Dew

OP
OP
1869er

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found more than one ring at a time at the beach... However I have found two gold rings in a grass/dirt church parking lot a long time ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread