Clad, Junk Jewelry, and lil Gold.

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad, Junk Jewelry, and lil' Gold.

I forgot where I was posting this, meant to post here.

Here are my best finds from the last two beach night hunts. Finding that little piece of gold makes it worth it, and It's my first gold of the year, even although it's pretty small, I'll take it! There's a Tb initials on the gold ring, however, there's no stamp inside the gold so I don't know what Karat it is!

I also found a stainless seafood grabber, kitchen tool, and a toy battle ship, but left them out of the group shot. That foreign coin is from Croatia of all places.

There was another guy using his metal detector already when I got down there tonight. We talked for a short bit... He said he was leaving if he found any gold.... I wonder if he had any luck? He wasn't down there too much longer after we talked??

Attachments

• Best finds 2 beach hunts.jpg
    Best finds 2 beach hunts.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 648
  • Best finds 2 beach hunts.jpg
    Best finds 2 beach hunts.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 643
  • goldclsup.jpg
    goldclsup.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 655
Upvote 0

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: Clad, Junk Jewelry, and lil' Gold.

lil' golds make my day - :headbang:

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice finds, 1869er!

And the claddagh ring looks like a "keeper".....might it be made of gold also?

Lorraine

OP
OP
1869er

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lorraine, I wish the chaddagh piece was gold or even silver.... Unfortunately it seems to be some kind of an unknown junk jewelry metal. There's little green stones in that piece as well.

OP
OP
1869er

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What the heck... I scraped the edge of this gold thing I found...

Ugh.... It appears to be a fake, and gold plated. I was starting to have some doubts about the authenticity of it being gold. Strange it rings on my Metal Detector around 44. I thought for sure it was gold, and it's got a little weight. Bummer it's fools gold of the beach variety.

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1869er said:
Lorraine, I wish the chaddagh piece was gold or even silver.... Unfortunately it seems to be some kind of an unknown junk jewelry metal. There's little green stones in that piece as well.

Thanks for your reply to my inquiry, 1869er. I think I see that it is a medallion; didn't see that at first viewing.

Still, I'm surprised that any "claddagh" jewelry would not be gold or silver because this jewelry has a special meaning to those who wear it. I've never seen a claddagh ring that was not gold or silver....but then again , I've not come across a "claddagh" in medallion form.

Lorraine

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Remember you cant really go by a meter with gold jewelry, it will be all over the place, from very conductive to hardly conductive. That is what the meter reads, and depth can effect that too, and what it is buried in. If you go by a meter, you will be leaving gold at the beach. The lower the carat the lower the conductivity. On the beach dig it all, unless you know for sure something is iron. Gold can also sound like a pulltab, especially a folded over one, or a crushed aluminum bottle cap, foil, lots of things.

OP
OP
1869er

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the tips, and info.... I usually dig all targets at the beach except two kinds.... foil that reads like less than (9), and iron. Only reason why I don't dig the foils is that there's a lot at my local beach... I think the snack shack must sell yogurt or something, then people toss the foil tops on the beach. Funny thing is... I still dig quite a bit of foil anyway... As soon as it's rolled up in a ball, it usually reads higher than just plain foil.

I went out again night hunting at the beach till about 1:30 am... Found lots of change, More new silverware, a small pipe.... (not the kind for regular tobacco) ... and what at first appeared to be a diamond encrusted part of a ring... Unfortunately when I got home... I realized it was... Once again.... Junk jewelry, complete with fake diamonds... It sure looked sparkly in the dark... I'm quickly becoming the junk jewelry king! LOL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread