Anyone here use a P.I. detector for beach and surf?

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious if anyone has any experience with a P.I. detector? I've always wanted a submersible metal detector.... But I've never used a Pulse Induction type before. However I've had 3 land detectors... Including an old antique Compass, a Garrett, and White MXT, have no idea how a PI would compare. Are there any particular PI models that stick out as better than others?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
1869er

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know exactly what he does but it works! I had him mod my surfmasters and the next season I found more gold than ever before!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
He speeds up the pulse rate and shortens the delay. White's apparently saw this going on and made the Surfmaster PI Pro, which is about what a Mr Bill's reworked Surfmaster PI is. I have a Garrett XL 200, its about mid 80s model, and it will not find gold jewelry. I have also tried a Garrett XL 500 and it too is too slow, and wont find alloys. I have heard, but not ever used one, the new Garrett Seahunter II is good on gold, but like I said, I have not tried it.

OP
OP
1869er

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put together a Surf PI detector kit this week... One of the electronic kits from Silverdog... Everything seems to be working well and as described. I built a little 4" coil to test with, and with a nickel, I'm getting strong signal depth in air, at least equal to the diameter of the coil... Nothing that great, but I still need to experiment with the coil windings, and coil size. Next, I need to box everything, build the body and attach the coil and box, tune everything... And eventually test it out in the field. There's lots of modifications that can be done with this kit, similar to some of the comments above. I don't expect this to be as great as a commercial metal detector... However some folks have gotten fairly good results so have to see how this all works out. I'm just glad to have a working Pulse Induction detector, which is something I've never owned/used before. Looking forward to seeing how a bigger coil does near and slightly under the salt water.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i started with Compass no discrim myself
used a PI Pro for many years