Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: AT Pro??????????????????????????

The ATpro is not a great salt water hunter but does well in fresh. I have an excal which rocks on gold rings but has a problem on small gold chains. Very stable in the salt water environment.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I am not a fan of the AT Pro for salt water beaches. However it can be used successfully on salt water beaches. It would not be a good choice as a beach detector for a newbie. Remembering that this is an low priced entry level water detector.It will require a intense knowledge of hunting targeting setting of both sensitivity and ground balancing to the negative.This is a contant problem during the hunt and some times needs to be done every 100 feet.This do to the sand content changes and the detector falsing do to the salt water. Its not to say you can't use one on the beach it will just need speical attention. I have used one on several occasions and like the machine it was just a little difficult to use! Great for land and fresh water!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mine was sent back 3 times. They are not great in any wet saltwater sand at the coasts and Excal's or CZ-20/21 is much better along with the White's BHID them being more than one frequency. AT PRO does work well in fresh water and in the dry coasts sand. Garrett has excellent service but I haven't had mine back in the water and might not.

Florida Sand Digger

Jun 16, 2009
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX w/Bigfoot coil, BHID, SMPI

I don't have an AT but I have ran into a couple of people using them on the beach. One was very disappointed the other was pleased. The first was disappointed due to falsing, I stopped and talked to them and they showed me their problem, which reminded me a lot of a Bounty Hunter, if you bump the ground with the coil you get a signal, in the water every time you switch direction you get a signal, if they were the same signal maybe you could work around them, but the tones were varied. I saw a another person using one just this weekend, I asked them if they were having any problems like this and they said no and that the machine was performing well for them both in the dry and wet sand. I don't know, so far I am not impressed.

HH
Digger

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Florida Sand Digger said:
, if you bump the ground with the coil you get a signal,

hmmm, I would have thought Garrett had fixed that by now. That was the reason I moved from my Garrett MH7 to a Whites. Over 20 years and still the same issues.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

On West coast Florida beaches my AT works great in the wet sand. My friends CZ21 gets 1 inch more depth. In the water I back the sens down to 5 bars out of 8 and it still gets plenty deep. I hunted with two friends all Summer that have been using CZs for years and our finds were equal. Ive only been water hunting since last April. Ive found 17 gold items with my AT PRO. It will false if you bump it hard on the bottom.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Both my Etrac and MXT do reasonably well in the wet sand. The Etrac is an awesome park hunter and loves silver. The MXT is a great coin shooter and awesome relic hunter. I spend 90% of the time on soil and 10% on the beach so these work for me.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Short and sweet. I sent mine back for erratic feed back and it was never the same.
False signals that you dig for and can not find. The off center pinpointing, drove me crazy.
Traded it off and still here about it. :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread