jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For as old as it looks, I'd have it checked. CONGRATS, on the great find ; HH Jeff

OP
OP
S

skip_fla

Oct 6, 2004
Wakulla, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab
The cross it's self is 2 1/2" tall by 1 1/2" wide. I can't see any thing stamped on the cross, only on the ring wher the chain would pass thru, it's marked 925

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most silver does come out of water tarnished gray. something that intricate most likely is. as for the Diamonds. they did mount real diamonds in silver years ago.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great Find!
It reminds me of the one I found awhile back.
CrossF.JPG

This one is marked " 925 ", and above that? " GM " in the same place, on the loop, in the back...
It's also about the same size: 2- 7/8" long, and 1-1/2" wide...

My main point of showing you this one is that the first jeweler I took it to said, it look old to him, and he wasn't sure if the diamonds were real or not...He said if he had to guess, he would guess that they were real. I took it to some other jewelers, and they pretty much, just looked at it at a glance and said, Sterling silver/ Cubic Zirconium's... I still haven't taken it somewhere that I could probably trust to really find out...
A lot of them will tell you they don't put diamonds in silver, but as Jeff stated, they used to years ago...
Knowing where you found yours,, I would say, it's a good chance that it is old, and the diamonds are real...
We might want to take the to the Antiques Road Show... ;D
Good luck & Happy Hunting~

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Thats pretty big, must have a little weight to it. The .925 is the grade of the silver, its a little odd that the cross isn't stamped too. Can you tell if the loop appears to be solid all the way around? or if theres a split were it was opened to go over the ring on the cross

OP
OP
S

skip_fla

Oct 6, 2004
Wakulla, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab
First off thanks guys.

kenb: yes there does seem to be a split in the ring and then soldered together. Don't know what it weighs yet I will be going down to work tomarrow to pick up my check and will weight them then.

This was my best find to date. However I went out for a little bit today and look what else I found ;D It's also marked 925.

Attachments

• Silver Ring Found 12-29-04.jpg
    Silver Ring Found 12-29-04.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 374
OP
OP
S

skip_fla

Oct 6, 2004
Wakulla, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Well I got the weights yesterday down at work, the cross weighs in at 18.7 grams and the ring at 7.06 grams. I stopped at a beach on the way home for about 4 hours. I didn't find anything good this time just $2.63 cents in clad, I believe one is a 1953 Wheaties and an almost silver dime 1965. maybe next time. I showed the cross to one of my co-workers and he said that the diamonds looked real to him, but who knows. It's back to work next week so I'll probably take it to a jeweler down in west palm and get it checked out.

HH to all

warthog steve

Mar 23, 2003
Brown City,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350GTA for dry,Fisher 1280X for wet........
;D real diamonds or not,you found it;something to be proud of!I have found lots of crosses;but none with stones!!!

navychief1968

Jan 7, 2005
Water Valley, MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Skip,

Old time elite user here myself. One question. What does that cross read on your LCD readout? On my machine, silver always reads "550". One thing tho, my machine has some internal custom modifications so your LCD reading may not be the same as mine. A good test for you would be to test your machine on some known silver objects, note the LCD reading, then check your find. Are the readings the same? Then it's more than likely silver.
Lastly, The level of corrosion and pitting on that find of yours concerns me. It looks like it may have been silver plated and the salt has started "eating" the cheaper base metal.

Chris Reynolds
Chief Petty Officer, USN

OP
OP
S

skip_fla

Oct 6, 2004
Wakulla, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Steve P: Believe me I'm proud of it. It is better than any clad or toys that I've found ;D

navychief1968: I've modified my meter to the 180 scale. On the ring that I posted that has 925 stamped on the inside it reads 180 on the meter. The cross also reads 180, even if I do the wiggel on it. I also checked if it would be attracted to a magnet (the ones out of a hard drive, man those things are strong) and it wasn't, just like the ring.

navychief1968

Jan 7, 2005
Water Valley, MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Skip,

Sounds like you got yourself a really nice find there. Congratulations! You going to take it to a jeweler or pawn shop and have it tested to see it those are real diamonds?

Chris Reynolds
Chief Petty Officer, USN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread