Anyone ever do any searches in Bays or Canals?

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being that I live on the coastline in Florida... There are tons of Bays, waterways, Canals, etc. and I bet there's tons of old relics, coins and stuff down there waiting to be found. Near the edges of some of these bays you could probably just use a snorkle and fins, deeper you'd need to scuba dive with a metal detector. I wonder if it's even legal to do this?

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have worked the bays around Florida. There is a lot of old things there. Not too old but fairly old. I havent found anything really good or valuable. It is neat to find old stuff. I have also dove quite a few rivers many years ago, not detecting. Mostly fossils, arrowheads, and bottles, stuff like that. Have eyeballed a few musket balls too.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going to snorkle any canals or bays be sure to tow a Dive float and divers flag so boaters won't run over you. They might anyways them not knowing what a dive flag is for. You could find lots of trash as most boaters never haul the beer cans back to shore. I have found anchors and a few SS props. Lots of fun and better than cleaning out the garage. Good Luck...

Bluetangclan

Greenie
Jan 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you are talking freshwater or inland canals, be aware other things sharing the water might take an interest in you as well, as I find gators fairly common in smaller waterways, fresh(Florida, its a given) and salt(it happens). Odds are you will be fine, just a bit shaken to pull your head out of the water to see some ten foot critter swimming alongside you trying to figure out what you are.

OP
OP
1869er

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes this is true... Sharks, etc... But especially the alligator factor.... I was just reading about alligator attacks in Florida, usually 30+ a year, and most happen when people are in the water, or swimming. I'm thinking twice about considering this now... I have an adventurous spirit, but not if it envolves alligators.

Cammonk

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2011
Peterborough, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys, I'm coming to the Clearwater area next week for a 7 day visit and would like to get out to explore some waterways. I'm bringing my dive gear and CZ21, would love to meet up with anyone wanting to do some hunting.

Drop me a line if you want to buddy up or don't mind a crazy Canuck tagging along.

Thanks,

Cam.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You will love the warm water temps, for you any way. It was 67 dergrees F today at the beach, that is measured right near the beach. Air temp was 82 F. If a cold front comes through that is real cold, the bay temp will get real cold. This is the dead of winter, and sometimes it gets down to 57 F. That is for Venice and Sarasota, Clearwater maybe a little colder. It is definetly wetsuit weather for us!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up on Mobile bay in Alabama. Lots of history. Wish I could go back in time to childhood. I used to pick up old bottles ,indian pottery and musket balls off of the surface or at low tide. It is all private property now. I still have family that have summer places there but I have not been back in 10 years..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread