BEGINER MD NEED ADVICE PLEASE

justicious

Jan 22, 2012
Delray Beach, Florida
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi I live 2.5 mi from the beach in Florida where snow birds come every year and people constantly are at the beach. I want to metal detect and have seen other detectors out there. Maybe I'll get some cool coins maybe I'll get some jewelry maybe I'll get nothing. Is the Garrett ace 250 good at detecting gold on beaches? which detector in the $200-300 range for a beginner would you suggest for beaches? All help is greatly apreciated. :help:

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just about any detector will work on the dry sand. It is the wet sand and salt water that make most detectors go crazy. Salt water is conductive, and that is what makes a metal detector beep-conductivity. Some detectors can work in salt water and wet sand beaches. But if you want to start on the dry sand, then yes, the Ace 250 would be a good start. Try that for a while, then if you want to get into the water, it will cost you, so save up your gold and silver! Where are you located? I am in Sarasota, and if you are near, I could let you try a few different types. Steve.

OP
OP
justicious

justicious

Jan 22, 2012
Delray Beach, Florida
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Located in Delray beach just 30mins north of fort Lauderdale Wish I was close. Thanks for repy. do you think I would find enough to cover the cost. I'm 14 so I got lots of time. Found this great forum through Coin roll hunting. Old artifacts and coins intrest me. I also love to have lots of cash money :laughing7: I never take my parents money just doesn't feel right I feel I want to earn my cash. So I do through small, fun and interesting jobs. I have made over $1'200 from collecting scrap metal on my bike. I want to get known on this forum and get to start posting some sweet MD finds hopefully ;D

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of finds in the sand, coins and sometimes nice jewelery. Hope you try the hobby. It can be a lot of fun and sometimes very exciting.

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
my first three months of detecting was only on dry sand with a Tesoro uMax which is in your price range and I found heaps, I switched to a more appropriate detector for my needs ( got in the water ) and of course found more quality,,,, but the point here is I was doing well on the dry, plenty of finds on the paths, under the shady dune palms and I especially like the cliff nooks where sunbathers get away from prevailing onshore winds, under paths, beach look outs - it really is endless.................................................................................... :wink:

sandnut

Nov 17, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II uMax , Tesoro Silver uMax, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Smoogle said:
my first three months of detecting was only on dry sand with a Tesoro uMax which is in your price range and I found heaps, I switched to a more appropriate detector for my needs ( got in the water ) and of course found more quality,,,, but the point here is I was doing well on the dry, plenty of finds on the paths, under the shady dune palms and I especially like the cliff nooks where sunbathers get away from prevailing onshore winds, under paths, beach look outs - it really is endless.................................................................................... :wink:

I agree, silver umax. Great detector life time warranty. Not good in the wet sand but good in dry. only has 2 knobs to mess with light and fun to use. cost about 250.

OP
OP
justicious

justicious

Jan 22, 2012
Delray Beach, Florida
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe I'll get that one... will It be worth my time? Do you guys sell your gold,silver and platinum online or locally? Can anyone give me an Idea of how much they have made in one year of detecting? what my chances are? Thanks for your reply everyone.

chicepo

Jun 5, 2008
Calabash, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Ace 250/Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the ACE 250 for two years and it is one of the best units on the market. It is great in the sand and for relic hunting. I just my 2nd ACE a 350 that has a double d coil and I love it. I would buy the ACE over some of the other higher priced units on the market. The price does not equate to quality. The ACE has it all. :icon_thumright:

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
I think the absolute best tip that can be given is to do your research!!!

EVERY question that can be asked, has ALREADY been asked over and over and over again on this and other sites.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After you choose a detector you will need a good scoop. This is a great sand scoop.

http://newenglanddetectors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_31&products_id=103

Hit it early in the morning or late in the day after the crowd has gone. Hunt the dry sand along the towel line or where the people have been laying. Be patient and don't expect too much at first. Remember this is just a hobby and if you do it for fun you will always have fun doing it. You can expect a few good finds to come your way but again be patient and have fun. Most people agree that www.aragold.com is the best place to sell your precious metal finds. Good Luck

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That is a good dry sand scoop. A good water scoop will run you over $200, and if you try to make a scoop, remember that all that money and time making it are gone when it breaks. A good scoop will last you for many years, and get the target quick. A bad scoop will fall apart soon, and wont get you on the target very quickly.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sent you a PM - hope it helps

OP
OP
justicious

justicious

Jan 22, 2012
Delray Beach, Florida
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I will get the Tesoro silver uMax for $250 headphones for $30 and a scoop for $100. with shipping it will add up to about $400. How long do you think it would take for me to make my money back ? 6 months?

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
7-1/2 days.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
justicious said:
So I will get the Tesoro silver uMax for $250 headphones for $30 and a scoop for $100. with shipping it will add up to about $400. How long do you think it would take for me to make my money back ? 6 months?

Maybe 6 minutes.... Maybe 6 months..... :dontknow: That's what makes it fun. If you're in it only for the money you might want to try something else.

OP
OP
justicious

justicious

Jan 22, 2012
Delray Beach, Florida
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like old artifacts and coins I think it would be fun to try but it would probably just sit in my closet.....
I might just buy it for the fun of it and use it when ever i go to the beach. one ring and I'll have a big smile on my face :). I am in it for money and fun. I will just buy this beginer detector and if I like detecting I will Keep going if not then it will be on craigslist, ebay or a gift.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I had an ACE 250 and it did great in the dry sand. I paid for it in clad alone in the first year but also found 4 gold rings in that year too! Good luck and show us what you find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions