Hawaii trip

claytargethntr

Sep 20, 2009
Hello all

My wife and I went to HI for a week. We took our detectors with us (Etrak and Excalibur). Before leaving I did not find much info on detecting in HI. So I thought I would pass along what I learned. We did not get to hunt very much due to other vacation plans but we did a short hunt on the big island and a couple short hunts on Waikiki beach. I wish we were able to hunt longer. What I found on the net is sandy beaches are open to detecting with some beaches that have limitations (example no going in the water in Huanami (sp) bay). The other info on the net says the beaches are hit very hard. Yes I saw detectors out there, but I would not say any worse than other beaches I have been to (NC). Our finds were small but we honestly did not put in much time. Some clad, lead weights and junk jewelry. On Waikiki beach the clad I dug was quarters, nickels and dimes. All two to three sunspot scoops deep and had a dark patina. I also read the locals are very territorial. We stopped and talked to one who said he lurks on here. Very nice guy, very helpful. He did warn us of one local that can be a hand full and has had run ins with the cops for disturbing the tourists. We didnt see him. Of the others I watched out there they all used whites detectors. The Excalibur was very chattery, really had to run lower sensitivity but still found deeper stuff. The main swim beach (section with sea wall) was closed as they are pumping in sand. Too bad! The one other surprise was the shear number of homeless on the beach.

Over all the trip was awesome. I just wish we had more time to hunt.

To the detectorist we met on Waikiki it was great meeting you and thanks for the info. Good luck on your hunting

Claytargethntr

Upvote 0

h2ojunkie

Jul 7, 2010
Honolulu
Detector(s) used
Excal II, DF
Wished I had bumped into you cth. Hunting here (especially in Waikiki) is hit or miss. Add the renourishment and it's only going to get worse I suspect.
Oh...and the beach/bay you were refering to is Hanauma Bay. It's a national marine reserve that some idiot ruined for the rest of us after he was caught prying up live coral to get at targets back in the late 80's-early 90's.

HawaiiMDer

Jul 31, 2009
Kapolei, Hawaii
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field and Minelab Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
claytargethntr said:
Hello all

My wife and I went to HI for a week. We took our detectors with us (Etrak and Excalibur). Before leaving I did not find much info on detecting in HI. So I thought I would pass along what I learned. We did not get to hunt very much due to other vacation plans but we did a short hunt on the big island and a couple short hunts on Waikiki beach. I wish we were able to hunt longer. What I found on the net is sandy beaches are open to detecting with some beaches that have limitations (example no going in the water in Huanami (sp) bay). The other info on the net says the beaches are hit very hard. Yes I saw detectors out there, but I would not say any worse than other beaches I have been to (NC). Our finds were small but we honestly did not put in much time. Some clad, lead weights and junk jewelry. On Waikiki beach the clad I dug was quarters, nickels and dimes. All two to three sunspot scoops deep and had a dark patina. I also read the locals are very territorial. We stopped and talked to one who said he lurks on here. Very nice guy, very helpful. He did warn us of one local that can be a hand full and has had run ins with the cops for disturbing the tourists. We didnt see him. Of the others I watched out there they all used whites detectors. The Excalibur was very chattery, really had to run lower sensitivity but still found deeper stuff. The main swim beach (section with sea wall) was closed as they are pumping in sand. Too bad! The one other surprise was the shear number of homeless on the beach.

Over all the trip was awesome. I just wish we had more time to hunt.

To the detectorist we met on Waikiki it was great meeting you and thanks for the info. Good luck on your hunting

Claytargethntr

We have sooooo many homeless here because all the other states send theirs to us with only a one way ticket. It's unbelievable now!!!!!

ken

OP
OP
C

claytargethntr

Sep 20, 2009
H2o junkey it would have been good to catch up. And yep that is the bay. We had a great time snorkling there. A stranger following me out actually lost his wedding band, but somehow found it while snorkling back to shore. We did hear the story of the guy tearing up the coral and the closing of water detecting because of it, from a local.

We look forward to going back some day. Hopefully we will have more time to detect.

Claytargethntr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread