Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a How to Video, I'm not doing this as a side.
With more hunters coming out to the beach, one needs every advantage and this is a inexpensive way to stay EQUAL for about 25 Dollars compared to hundreds you would spend on similar.
A excellent upgrade for Old and New water detectors. Tested several sets of Peltors over the last 3 years, The 98's (NRR25), 101's (NRR 27), and by far the Best, the Peltor 105's with a (Noise Reduction Rating of 30db), these have a extra shell insert to block more amblient noise, (ruff waves, sea gulls, human generated back ground noise, etc) allowing for better audio, and faint targets to be heard. I chose the Excalibur because it has the poorest quality head phones, with a weak grip, and poor NRR of 12+db. This would work great on the older CZ's and PI machines allowing those weak deep signals to be heard. The 105's come in the standard R/B color and also offered in a HI VIS...., this upgrade will Void any warranty...

Good luck, hope this simple guide will increase your treasure...............OBN

Attachments

• SNAG-0006.jpg
    SNAG-0006.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,323
Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Tired of those old Head Phones?

Well done! Very well made video! I have White's Surfmaster PIs and those headphones are also not great. Plus the original turquize ones for the old blue and green sword/NY Excal. I do plan on doing that mod. I had bought some of Harbor Freight's noise blocking ear muffs for use with chain saws, and cutting and grinding tools. They work well for that, and are very inexpensive, and had thought of doing just what you did with them. They dont have the inner cup like the ones you showed, just a foam sheet. So I will research and find a good source for those that you recommended, Thanks! Who has the best price on those? Steve.

grizj

May 22, 2011
maryland
Detector(s) used
Waterproof unit
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

OBN, Thats a good one i just got my new excal and the head phones are junk.I may have to try that, thanks for sharing maybe see you on the beach. GRIZ

OP
OP
OBN

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Steve I got these at Lowe's for $25 total, quick and easy. But I have seen them amazon for 22 shipped. The newer version are under 3M now since they have bought Peltor out. There are alot of old detectors out there and these will bring new life to them..special with the Double shell noise protection. One thing to take note on is to make sure you leave a couple small holes in the tranducer plate for more audio to come thur from behind. Near the end I show a few of my other sets of Peltor's..........Peltor Treasure Screamers, been working on them for about 4 years now..

Attachments

• DSC_8645.jpg
    DSC_8645.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,693

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Got it! Thanks again.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Old Beech Nut, went to Lowes, got the 3M 30 db. Thanks.

OP
OP
OBN

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Great steve, I think you will find a 100% improvement over the stockers, Those old NY xcals have some of the best audio of all...reason, the hard plastic that is used is a excellent conductive of the piezo buzzer. Plus many don't know this and this is one secret of the GM's & the old New York xcal's...there is no filters in the endcaps, allowing a louder audio from the detector.

Attachments

• SNAG-0002.jpg
    SNAG-0002.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,170
  • SNAG-0005.jpg
    SNAG-0005.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,634

Stumppass

Nov 14, 2010
Tampa, FL.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II WOT coil / Minelab Excalibur 800 /Minelab Excalibur II 1000 / Pro Pointer

OBN,

I did one set today and it worked out fine! I'll be doing another this week.

Also, I did not realize that the yellow's use 50mm piezo's, I bought some for Digi Key and didn't use them however, I might just make a new set and try them out.

BTW - Northen Tool has the HI VIS for $21.00

Thanks again for doing what you do!

SP

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OBN,
Great step by step, since hunting has slowed down it's time for some tuning up!!! Thanks for the info!!!

Snt

killerb

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2008

Will the mod allow water to drain if you dive with the headphones?

killerb

OP
OP
OBN

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

SnT, you being a PP/AM hunter will reconize the greatest improvement of all.

Stumppass
yellow's use 50mm piezo's

Yes the stock yellow xcal headphones do use the 50mm but for some reason the better of the two are the PUI Piezo 50mm, same as used on the GM's. If you change to the PUI piezo 50mm available from digikey.com the audio of the targets will change. And you have to almost relearn your tones.

I'm in the slow process of obtaining these from china...60mm....which from the beginning of time the saying goes........, Bigger is better

Kind a funny, this post was kicked out by the Moderators of Findmall.com because someone complained about it...rumor has it was "Mr. Gold Master"?

Attachments

• piezo transducers.jpg
    piezo transducers.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,088
  • SNAG-0001 (2).jpg
    SNAG-0001 (2).jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 2,806
OP
OP
OBN

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

killerb
Will the mod allow water to drain if you dive with the headphones?

I have used these underwater but not for more then a few seconds, the main thing theses are for, those who hunt in the surf and have to deal with amblient noise. Underwater/diving I would recommend keeping the stock or having to drill the 4 holes for drainage, like the stock yellows, on the peltor cups. The only advantage then would be for the duribility over the stock, the fact they stay on your head much better..and you would lose the NNR 30db rating with the drain holes.

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

OBN said:
Kind a funny, this post was kicked out by the Moderators of Findmall.com because someone complained about it...rumor has it was "Mr. Gold Master"?

That's why I don't post much on Findmall anymore. You can't post about any product that is not sold by one of their sponsors. Treasure Net is much more open to the free exchange of information.

Midas_touch

Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi OBN.

Thank you for posting this video. I am definitely going to do this to my excal2. I was curious during the part of the video when you cut the back shell of the peltor ear muffs for the transducers to slide into you said you cut an extra 1/4" off of the middle part of the back shell. In the video it looks like you just cut around your blue tape without removing the extra 1/4". Am I misunderstanding this part? I've watched it twice and am unsure. Thanks again. You did a great job and I would love to see an in depth video for how you added the screamer as well as your remote discrimination switch.

OP
OP
OBN

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

I 'll get you a picture of a uncut and the cut to show the difference and how much extra needs to be trimmed off....this afternoon..........joe

The cuts on this secondary Peltor shell are for the Yellow HeadPhone Excaliburs only. For any other excalibur or detector model you will need to measure and trim as needed. I think the others would be less, I have most of the popular water detectors and most Piezo transducer plates are flat.

Attachments

• DSC_8908.jpg
    DSC_8908.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 794

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I like the mod. Well done. My only concern would be the exposed metal on the new headphones. I hunt salt water and salt water can play havock on any metal not designed for it. For now I think I will keep using the original headphones on the Excal II at least until they fail, then who knows?

Ed D.

wormsdad

Greenie
Feb 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab - GT-excallibur 2- 1000

Steve can you tell me if the transducer that come with the standard yellow headphones for the excallibur should be changed as well,and if so where would be a good place to get them?Thanks Paul

OP
OP
OBN

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

I like the mod. Well done. My only concern would be the exposed metal on the new headphones. I hunt salt water and salt water can play havock on any metal not designed for it. For now I think I will keep using the original headphones on the Excal II at least until they fail, then who knows?

Ed D.

Good to see you Ed,!!

The Peltors use stainless steel only. I've been using Peltors for over 4 years now and hunt the same beach's you do, mine have been under several times with no issues at all, other then when someone starts talking ..I have to take them off.. Infact I still have a old set of 101 H7A's that I started using long ago....no rust here.

Attachments

• SNAG-0005.jpg
    SNAG-0005.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 632
OP
OP
OBN

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Steve can you tell me if the transducer that come with the standard yellow headphones for the excallibur should be changed as well,and if so where would be a good place to get them?Thanks Paul

I would recommend if this is your first time, stay with the yellow stockers, they are as good as most.. Then maybe build a second set once you have some idea of what you are getting into, and really..it not hard at all. Digikey you can get the 50mm piezo buzzers, make sure you silicon fully over and to a piece of hard plastic..they work only if pressed against a object
I believe these are the same as used on the GoldMasters...

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1388061-buzzer-piezo-element-1-2khz-50mm-aps4812b-lw100-r.html

One thing to remember, always becareful and not cut, nick the headphone cord..what happens is something called wicking..if the water enters the coiled HP cord the integrity of the cord to keep water out will cause issues later, turning the copperwires black causing a weak signal, and even shorting out the electronic's of the Pod if it reachs there........Good Luck

Attachments

• APS4812B-LW100R.jpg
    APS4812B-LW100R.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 750

Midas_touch

Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you for clarifying. I will be making mine this weekend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions