Digging holes on California beaches carry 100 to 1,000 in fines???????

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
They voted them in to "protect us"

Vote 'em out. Isn't everyone sick and tired of the BS in regulating the public?

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The news casters as always hosed things up again. What they are doing is to make a place on the beach for people to play football, soccer and toss a frisbee. This will only happen when the beaches are packed to avoid people getting bonked on the head with a ball while they are taking in the sun. Shhhhhh they didn't say anything about making holes. (even though I cover mine up, after picking out the trash)

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
I am guessing digging holes and not filling them in is part of it. Like kids building caves on the beach deeper than 18 inches. I have to say I agree with it. Here in NJ we have treasure hunters (adults) who readily dig holes all over the beach and not fill them. Lots of other beach goers have to navigate around then so as not to trip or fall while on the beach. You just can't tell these hunters anything, they all have a come back.... tide,waves, wind, kids dig I can too, ect.. I have seen many of people trip in holes on the beach not all from metal detecting. Here is a short video I shot last year after a few words none of them printable here.The old guy gave me the finger and ran off under the pier.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That vid is really obnoxious....
I would have to say something to someone like that.
Can you imagine the liability if some one was to step in one of those while
jogging and break their foot ?

In 30 years of hunting I have not seen something so bad.
I normally cover up even other holes when I see them, but have never seen anything like this..
I admit, that sometimes my holes are not covered as well as they might should be...
But never like this...
So so sad.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
TORRERO said:
That vid is really obnoxious....
I would have to say something to someone like that.
Can you imagine the liability if some one was to step in one of those while
jogging and break their foot ?

In 30 years of hunting I have not seen something so bad.
I normally cover up even other holes when I see them, but have never seen anything like this..
I admit, that sometimes my holes are not covered as well as they might should be...
But never like this...
So so sad.
Just as a note I did cover these holes and do step on the side of others holes as I hunt down the beach.
I have been hunting since 1974 and this type of bad behavior has increased more and more each year. I am starting to see it in parks and vacant lots!
What pisses me off more is hunters who post this is bad and you figure out there names from forums and then you find them on the beach leaving holes your left wondering what the $#@%.
"I don't mean the above poster leaving holes"

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A report by television station KNTV in Los Angeles said Thursday that LA beaches will soon be levying fines for those who throw footballs or Frisbees on their beaches.

The fines, which could cost violators up to $1,000, are an attempt to protect beach attendees from being hit by flying objects, the report stated. Special permission would be necessary for a person to be allowed to have such objects on the beach, and "no structure used for ball-playing purposes" (like a goal) will be permitted on the beach, according to KNTV.

The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors said this is the first time since the 1980s that beach rules had been updated. The 37-page local law was written to clear up what will be allowed on beaches going forward. According to the report, it also clarified the powers and duties of lifeguards to keep order.

Now, from late May to early September, the only objects allowed on the beach for play are beachballs and beach volleyballs, the law states. Other "light objects" have been deemed possibly dangerous, and would result in a fine if used on the beaches.

A spokeswoman for the new law told KNTV, "The rules are put in place so that during a busy, crowded summer beach day, no one is put at risk by a spontaneous football game."

Also banned by the new law is the digging of any sandpits by children that are deeper than 18 inches, but an exception to that rule may be granted during television and film productions.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've mentioned to other water hunters that they should fill their holes in the water. In the surf it is different, but in freshwater there isn't that much wave action and people can twist ankles. It only takes a couple complaints and water detecting is off limits too.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See - now THAT is the problem with our society - all over the United States.

Everyone wants government out of our business, EXCEPT for the things that they think the government should do something about.

I'm sick and tired of laws, laws, laws.

Beth

"and then they came for me" ----- Anne Frank

Bottlecap King

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2017
CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
WHITES BEACH HUNTER , MINELAB 800.
Primary Interest:
Keep digging and don't worry about it. I HAVE A GREAT BOTTLE CAP AND BOBBY PIN COLLECTION .Pull tabs are my favorite along with old rusty nails. I WILL SEND THEM TO CITY HALL AND ASK IF THEY WOULD LIKE ME TO CONTINUE THE ENVIRONMENTAL BEACH CLEANUP. SO FAR I HAVN'T BEEN ARRESTED FOR DIGGING IN THE SAND IN N. CALIFORNIA..

Bottlecap King

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2017
CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
WHITES BEACH HUNTER , MINELAB 800.
Primary Interest:
Any metal detecting clubs in the Monterey Ca. Area?

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before everyone gets their underwear up to tight. I live in So Cal.
The "Throwing football , Frisbee law" is only during May through September.
Here's a picture of Zuma beach mid summer
beach.jpg
Here's one law that helps the majority.
Can't dig deeper than 18 inches ? So what . If i hit A quarter at 8 inches i'm thrilled. On dry sand ,If i cant reach it in three or four deep scoops , i'll move on.
These laws have nothing to do with metal detecting.

Last edited:

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
at least your state allowed the stores to open. the democrats of massachusetts won’t let that happen. they were gonna bam detecting too...outright. it was defeated by several ways. the next time your in mass i’ll have to have you bring something back. i don’t see any stores opening here for a long time. i meant bring an extra detector....

I watched J Leno the other night and he said California passed a law or will be passing one, stopping people from throwing footballs or frisbes ect. and up 1,000 fine for digging holes 18 inch. deep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this a sick JOKE!!!!!!??????????????? :dontknow:

SnT

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How hard is it to kick sand back in your holes ! REALLY !! Gives us all a bad name !

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Our Southern California beaches are pounded by detectorist and I’ve rarely seen holes left. After the beach sweepers and pounding surf everything is filled in if there is any holes left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread