Florida beaches ??

masterofdisaster

Jan 24, 2012
Ionia,michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok i guess i dont get it..i have read that you can detect the beaches, but you cannot detect in the water.. due to some type of salvage rights or what not....the question is can we hunt in the water at daytona beach and the other beaches on the east side?? any input would be appreciated..

Upvote 0

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have looked at this again, and Aquanut has a point.

To attempt to remove even a specimen from state sovereignty lands (read that: beach) makes it a crime.

It does not even have to be a designated archaeological site.

That is disturbing.

I'm writing my state representatives right now. I hope we're not too late.

I'd suggest everyone else do the same.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, here is what I wrote to the Speaker of the House and my state senator. My house member does not grace us with an email address.

"I am writing you regarding SR 868, which is slated to be passed very soon.

Please do what you can to oppose it.

Under this new law, if a someone swinging a metal detector on beach
(a hobby with attracts THOUSANDS of tourists a year to Florida)
finds anything that can be interpreted as an artifact, even in areas not designed as an archaeological site,
they would be guilty of breaking the law.

To put it simply, that strikes me as absolutely ludicrous.

While I respect the need to protect archaeological sites, this bill is so draconian and overreaching in its scope,
it makes me question this state's commitment to smaller, less invasive government.

Not to mention the chilling effect this bill will have on a significant
number of tourists who flock to our beaches every year and keep our local businesses afloat.

I hope you can use your considerable influence to block this bill until it can be revised to something far more reasonable."

Ming

Jul 25, 2012
Rhode Island & Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You cant (CANNOT) hunt in the water from Satelite Beach, to down South past Ft Pierce to the St Lucie Inlet at Stuart. Also North and South of Jupiter Inlet 1 mile. They are all a bunch of treasure leases and Admiralty areas. You will get arrested. They havent changed any laws about detecting in leases or admiralty areas. They fly airplanes and helicopters along that area several times a day. The county sheriffs will arrest you. Post this in the shipwreck area if you dont believe me. Or call the Brevard or Indian River County Sheriffs dept. about water detecting in lease areas.

Thanks for the info Steve, I'll be in Vero next week and you just may have saved me a trip to the clink! :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions