Kids making holes?

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am sooooooo sick of this crap.... Really......... So does this meen that If I take my granchild to the beach and we walk away after he has played in the sand that I too will be in trouble. This sickens me... cmon people get a life, and stop being jelouse of people finding stuff on the beach. Everyone wants a cut thats what the REAL story is here... We are finding pennies leave us alone! we also CLEAN the beach for others to use safely....Signed .... AGRIVATED! Who else is with me on this?

Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
I read the ordinance and it is not unreasonable. I truly don't think they are after hunters with metal detectors. However, with that said, it only makes sense to fill in your holes just out of courtesy and an attempt to keep a low profile and not draw negative attention to what you are doing. If you fill your holes, I highly doubt there will be any problem. I recently read an article about a teen digging a huge hole in the sand only to have it collapse in on him and bury him alive. I don't know if they got him out in time or not and I am not sure which beach it was on. I googled to try and find the article and could not, but I came up with this which likely explains why they would put such an ordinance in place: http://www.beachhunter.net/blog/2007/06/holes-in-beach-sand-deadlier-than.html Seems more people die on beaches from hole/tunnel cave-ins than shark attacks. When people insist on doing unsafe and unreasonable things because they think it is "their right" then you can be sure the government will eventually step in to try to force proper behavior to protect the digger, the general public and the town. Just remember the woman who got a huge settlement from McDonalds because the coffee she just bought and spilled between her legs was hot. Dahhhh

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Petersra is right of course. Many detectorist just walk away from the hole they had dug with no thought that someone could twist an ankle or thinking the tide will fill it. We shouldn't call attention to our selves but we are the weirdo's out there for all to see.

captaindoug

May 1, 2011
And the person walking down the beach apparently has no responsibility to watch where he is walking, Because as we all know the beaches are always perfectly smooth. If not, it is now the goverments job to make sure they are, and to pass out contraceptives along the way

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you have a link to some new ordinance or some thing? (kids making holes ) I'm confused with your question. HH :dontknow:
Broken Knee

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cities, Counties and some resorts spend hundreds of thousands of dollars smoothing and grooming beaches for ALL people to enjoy. NOBODY should be allowed to leave holes that trash the beach for others enjoyment, not grand kids, idiots or metal detectorist. I have tripped in holes when heading to the water before dawn and it pi$$es me off. If you dug a hole fill it in...if you carried anything to the beach, carry it out! Why should anyone have to clean up someone else mess. If you can't leave a beach the way you found it....stay home!

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can Slaw said:
Cities, Counties and some resorts spend hundreds of thousands of dollars smoothing and grooming beaches for ALL people to enjoy. NOBODY should be allowed to leave holes that trash the beach for others enjoyment, not grand kids, idiots or metal detectorist. I have tripped in holes when heading to the water before dawn and it pi$$es me off. If you dug a hole fill it in...if you carried anything to the beach, carry it out! Why should anyone have to clean up someone else mess. If you can't leave a beach the way you found it....stay home!
Well said Slaw

Jonnie

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of people jog on the beaches before sunrise and after sunset, holes are dangerous. Why is it so hard for some people to understand this?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I agree! I cant stand to see holes all over the beach, not filled, and often with cans and other trash back in the hole. That is lazy! I fill them when I see them. I hate it and I am sure there are people who would run right to the city or county commisioners meeting and show pictures and want to get all metal detecting banned. They have a lot of money to make off the beaches, and they could easily ban it, and it only takes one bad idiot to ruin it all. The counties or cities pour millions into beach cleaning, beach renourishing, and ads, just for tourists to come and spend money. I have said it over and over again on here for years. Fill the holes, and pick up all trash!

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can Slaw said:

Add another well said!!! The problem is liabilty. Someone gets hurt then the town has to defend themselves. Lawyers charge for every minute of their time. So, even a get lost letter is going to cost. However, a get lost letter isn't going to be the route the town takes. Under 20k lawsuits are cheaper to settle than to litigate.

There are hunters who leave the beach full of holes and tell anyone who tries to talk to them to eff off. That's just the way it is. A law isn't going to change that unless they are caught red handed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread