The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. Hoping to tap the vast experience we have here. I am considering an Excaliber but have a few questions. Here goes:
1. when using it in saltwater (mostly New Jersey beaches) does the unit false on incoming waves?
2. how well does it pinpoint?
3. how long of a learning curve to master the machine/
4. have the earlier production flaws been addresed

thanks
John

Upvote 0

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Hi John. Just bought one myself. Playing around with it on dry land and waiting for my trip to Florida in a couple of weeks. From what I have heard from the more experienced hunters with the excalibur, the pinpointing is good so long as you x over the target, pull the coil off the x towards you, and then move it forward to the target untill you get a signal. That is your pinpoint spot. I tried this and had good success immediately. There is definitely a pretty good learning curve if you only want to dig good targets of only one or two types. If you have used a pulse machine before it will definitely help on the learning curve of figuring out that most of the gold signals are your smaller softer sounds. You can listen to good sounds of different metals on a number of you tube videos, but the trueth is most of your gold will be deep and a lot of it will only be in range of your non discriminate on the detector especially on hard hunted beaches. Minelabe has improved some on their quality control from my understanding. That is why I did not spend the cash for one sooner. The Excalibur is certainly a great detector that should pay good dividends for the serious beach hunter. Experience will make it even more productive. There are so many experienced detectorists on this sight that can say so much more than me about this machine that I can hardly wait to hear from their vast knowledge what tips they will share with you. I have so much that I have learned from them and continue to learn all the time. Hope this helps some.

OP
OP
The-Bone

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the response. hoping some others can jump in and offer their advice as well

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
1. when using it in saltwater (mostly New Jersey beaches) does the unit false on incoming waves? = yes but its something you quickly get used to.

2. how well does it pinpoint? its acceptable, but I advise to have a rather large scoop for using with excalibur

3. how long of a learning curve to master the machine = depends on your learning ability, but its not long at all. Dig everything you hear, some people even dig iron but I dont. Just dig dig everything you hear and go slowly

4. have the earlier production flaws been addresed = yes, the new one's are generally good.

you CANT go wrong with excalibur. And no, I dont work for minelab :)

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only heard of four gripes with the Minelab Excalibur:

1. The knobs are cheap and break easily until you replace them with after market knobs (a $1400 detector with cheap knobs? :dontknow:)

2. The detector is heavy and that leads to arm fatigue, but but good luck finding a lightweight water detector.

3. The multi tones are pain to learn, but once most users learn them, they love them. Some can never get used to them and sell the machine.

4. Customer service at Minelab is terrible when your unit needs a repair.

In spite of that, the Minelab Excalibur is without question the most popular and sought after metal detector for beach hunting, in and out of the water. I would scan this section of the forum and look the most experienced hunters. The overwhelming majority of them use the Excal. That should tell you something.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my two cents. I've had mine for about 3 years and I have tendinitis in my elbow so it is hard to swing a heavy machine.

Remove the control unit and battery pack from the shaft. Attach them to a nylon belt and wear them around your waist. The shaft and coil will now weigh less than 2 pounds. You'll be able to swing forever.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes it does false when an incoming wave goes over, as any underwater detectors do, if you have it sensitive enough for gold. I dont think there is much learning curve. If you have any time at all on any detector, you should have it down in an hour. Just throw out some assorted metal objects, and practice the sounds and pinpointing. I have 3 different coils 8" 10" and 15", and I can pinpoint with all of them in a few seconds. In deep water or at night in the water it is a little slower, but once you get it, it is quick. My Excal is from the early 1990s, and it still works fine. You will have to lower the sensitivity in saltwater so it doesnt constantly false. Maybe 11-12 o clock or 1 O clock, depends on the saltiness of the water. On dry land you can run it all the way up. Threshhold you want it so you can hear it buzzing like a mosquito in your ear, not too loud or you will hear buzzing in your sleep! Volume all the way up, to hear the quiet ones. I use it in disc to null out iron, but many use it in PP to search then use the Disc to see what it is. Set the disc knob all the way to the left, no disc.

OP
OP
The-Bone

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Steve, how badly does it false on an incoming wave? Just a rise in threshold volume or a response like the coil is over a good target? My BHID is almost completely useless in a wave situation(partly due to the horrible coil design they insist on putting on the machine). My Sea Hunter increases threshold volume when a wave washes over it but usually not enough to mimic a target
thanks
John

stevemc said:
Yes it does false when an incoming wave goes over, as any underwater detectors do, if you have it sensitive enough for gold. I dont think there is much learning curve. If you have any time at all on any detector, you should have it down in an hour. Just throw out some assorted metal objects, and practice the sounds and pinpointing. I have 3 different coils 8" 10" and 15", and I can pinpoint with all of them in a few seconds. In deep water or at night in the water it is a little slower, but once you get it, it is quick. My Excal is from the early 1990s, and it still works fine. You will have to lower the sensitivity in saltwater so it doesnt constantly false. Maybe 11-12 o clock or 1 O clock, depends on the saltiness of the water. On dry land you can run it all the way up. Threshhold you want it so you can hear it buzzing like a mosquito in your ear, not too loud or you will hear buzzing in your sleep! Volume all the way up, to hear the quiet ones. I use it in disc to null out iron, but many use it in PP to search then use the Disc to see what it is. Set the disc knob all the way to the left, no disc.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. when using it in saltwater (mostly New Jersey beaches) does the unit false on incoming waves? I have never had mine false on an incoming wave in Florida

2. how well does it pinpoint? Pinpoints better then expected (about the size of a silver dollar)

3. how long of a learning curve to master the machine? Maybe 10-20 minutes

4. have the earlier production flaws been addressed? There are no problems that I am aware of. They are built like a tank but if there is ever a problem Felix is wonderful to work with.

We are talking about the CZ21 aren't we :laughing7: Just kidding but if you decide against the Excal (which from what I hear are very good machines) You may want to look at the CZ

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is like when you learned to drive, difficult at first but you wanted to drive so you finally mastered it. This is no different. The more you read the manual and the more you use it the better you will understand and find lots of items. If you get falsing, reduce the sensitivity slowly. I have owned several Excls since 1993 and all work exceptionally well. The older models had coil problems if you hip mounted the detector. Use a long shaft!!

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
1. when using it in saltwater (mostly New Jersey beaches) does the unit false on incoming waves? In Florida, it never falses. Never been to Jersey so sand and such are as different as night to day.

2. how well does it pinpoint? In pinpoint, the target is at the tip of the coil. I use a large scoop and a floating sifter box to aid in recovery.

3. how long of a learning curve to master the machine. About 10-20 minutes. Do the nail test. Take a large nail and insert it in a gold ring and pass it under any detector other than a Excalibur and both will be discriminated. Now pass it under a Excalibur and since Iron is ignored, the ring sounds off.

4. have the earlier production flaws been addressed. My Excalibur started out as a 1990 model and the only thing original on it is the shaft. Stuff wears out when used heavily but the gold it found more than paid for the metal detector and its repairs. Nothing is perfect.

5. It is a heavy machine but go to a SCUBA store and buy a nylon weight belt, get some nylon bolts and wing nuts. You'll have to place a 1/2 inch piece of EMT tubing to support the battery tube. That hip mount is a life saver when hunting all day.
Too save my cheap knobs, I set the knobs as I like them and don't touch them again. To shut off the machine, I disconnect the power cord from the battery. The Minelab Tech thought that was clever too, one less part to wear out. The part that wore out on my machine was the pinpoint/discrimination mode switch and cost $147.00, parts and labor. Good luck in your choice. :coffee2:

Attachments

• MVC-888S.JPG
    MVC-888S.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 439
  • MVC-889S.JPG
    MVC-889S.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 463

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. when using it in saltwater (mostly New Jersey beaches) does the unit false on incoming waves?
Only if your hunting in 12 inches of water or less as water rolls over it

2. how well does it pinpoint?
I have never had a problem pinpointing, you can x it, or you just slowly move the coil off the target forward or backward till the tone disappears, the target will be just off the toe or heel of the coil this way.

3. how long of a learning curve to master the machine/
There is a learning curve? ???

4. have the earlier production flaws been addresed
I have 2 of the Excal 1000s not a problem with either..

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can take you a while to get use to the machine, just like any other machine. There is a great temptation to run these machines "too hot" and this can actually cost you some deeper faint signals that can be lost in, or mistaken for, chatter/falsing, especially if there is no nulling of the target such as with small gold targets. Easy for the "whisper" of these faint signals to get lost in all the threshold noise and chatter that is typical when running the machines really hot.

mtpockets

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had my share of issues with Minelab.. All of which had been addressed.. But it did take Some time... Crappy repairs from their Tech's.

Haven't had any issues since replacing all units with the Excal II's... Only learning curve I know of, Is maybe turning the unit on. Set it Forget it...

My very first Post ! wow.. ;) How my doing !.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The-Bone

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all...i have an almost new Sea Hunter2 with only 12 hours on it to get rid of and then i am going to pull the trigger on an Excal with a 10" coil. Can't get use to the SH2 and digging 15" for junk...Really like my BHID but Whites refuses to address the floating coil issue and it lacks auto ground balance. The floating coil make it almost useless in the water at the shore. It's ok for freshwater but not the ocean..Thanks again.

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
You will love your machine. I have 2 of them. I have had the old guy for close to 20 years now and it has paid for itself several times over. As for wave action affecting your Excal make sure your cable is tight to the shaft. I use several tie wraps. This should slow down the false readings. I have learned to listen to the slightest change in calm water and have been rewarded with ear ring studs, some with diamonds. Problem is, what do you do with one ear ring. If I am away from shore (pass throwing distance) I dig everything... mostly to get rid of the junk so the next time I won't be wondering what is that signal.
To all Excal owners... I need to replace my bottom shaft with a piece of carbon fibre tubbing. Does anyone know where I can purchase a piece about 2-3 feet long? My old guy is pretty beat up.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve said it well. The Excal can false on an incoming wave because of the differences in salt deposits and the amount of black sand being washed around. Still the sound is different from a target response.

The knobs can loosen and metal knobs with hex screws are available but I never needed to install them. I also hang my control box from my neck so the cable hangs free till it goes tight to the straight shaft taped to the left side for water resistance. I just liked the handle on the straight shaft and it was longer for a wider sweep which covers more area.

Don't worry about learning the sounds as they will come to you soon enough. What I do is if I hear any sound is to dig it!!! I use only a Sunspot Stealth scoop as I found them to be to my liking.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Had my share of issues with Minelab.. All of which had been addressed.. But it did take Some time... Crappy repairs from their Tech's.

Haven't had any issues since replacing all units with the Excal II's... Only learning curve I know of, Is maybe turning the unit on. Set it Forget it...

My very first Post ! wow.. ;) How my doing !.

Like you've done this before you Rookie!! Good to see your back...

Excal falsing...at One Minute 25 seconds...waves coming in just like the Jersey shores...One Note, I run Hot all the time....

Last edited:
OP
OP
The-Bone

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Video! Really lets those of us unaccustomed to the excal hear what she sounds like. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread