Hi

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Welcome to the forum. Is that Florida, or where are you from?

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum Redfish, happy New Year and may you find lots of treasure in 05. It?s always good to meet another treasure hunter from the neighborhood (I?m also in Satellite Beach). Have you been treasure hunting our beaches yet?

OP
OP
redfish

redfish

Greenie
Dec 30, 2004
FL.
Thank you wreckdiver1715. Yes I been going on low tide. I still have lots to lean.My wife just bought me the Excalibur 1000. If you ever need someone to go with you just let me know?

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome Redfish....also relatively new, have Excalibur 800, live in Stuart. Went to Wabasso/Disney yestiddy, got 60 cents in coins and a parking ticket. Excalibur works great for beach hunting..set it on "disc" setting, discriminate on 3, threshhold barely audible, volume 2/3, sensitivity in the middle. Unit will absolutely reject ferrous items. Aluminum sounds different than other metals, takes time to get used to the sound. Settings don't change from dry beach to surf edge. As you increase discrimination setting unit will reject certain metals, including aluminum...but will also reject recent coins. Look for coarse sand...the recently built up "fines" on a beach are often windblown or moved with slight water movement, and probably don't have anything heavy in them.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your wife has good taste in detectors. I have been using the same machine four about the last four years all up and down Satellite Beach. Pelican Park has been a profitable beach for me, as fare as finding modern coins and jewelry. I was sure happy to see that it was one of the first beaches to re-open after hurricanes. Since then I have been mostly concentrating on the ocean side of the dunes, finding some older stuff. I have also been doing some diving with my detector along the coast and having a blast during spring and summer.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, I was down that why yesterday also. Tragic about Wabasso Beach, and I see that Turtle Trail is still closed. Why do we live in Florida? Oh yea! Sunny, and in the seventies today.

OP
OP
redfish

redfish

Greenie
Dec 30, 2004
FL.
Thank You billinstuart for the info I went yesterday with my daughter and we fond three dollars in low tide.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My tide prediction server shows some lower than average tides in the next couple months...now if the wind is from the west it will be great for tide line detecting. Wreckdiver..Douglass beach appears open (no ticket), county scraped beach to build up sand berm. Many other St. Lucie beaches closed. I have seen gold coins and cobs recovered immediately after the storm in the upper beach area, but have you found anything old?? I haven't....yet. Some peeps say to look at tide line in shell layers, others, like yerself, take the high road. My present preference is in the high energy surf area, where stuff is constantly turned over...but I'm not real far up the experience ladder yet.

OP
OP
redfish

redfish

Greenie
Dec 30, 2004
FL.
Just got back from Bonssteel park. Lot's of pepole with detector. Four pennies three dimes and one nickel. Maybe next time. ???

D

Darod

First of all,

Hello everyone, Happy New Year, and I've truely enjoyed reading all your posts!

I am as new as you can get to detecting,....I don't even have a detector yet. I've been posting trying to get advice on which is the best ones for the dry beach and surf but I've only had one reply to my post :-[ Anyhow, I too am luck enough (I guess) to live in Brevard County. I'm a West Melbourne resident. I work out at Patrick AFB,....I'm not active duty out there. I did however put in 4 years with the Air Force stationed at Patrick. Enough about me, I'm more interested in what you guys have to say :)

I want to spend some money on a detector but I don't want to go crazy about it. I'd like to stay under the $500 range. Not sure what I can get to do a good job with beach hunting at that price but I'm sure you guys have some suggestions.

I'd love to get together with any of you guys and hunt together. Maybe I can get off to the right foot with the detecting stuff.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this forum. I learned tons just reading everyone's posts. It's even more encouraging see that there are local people posting here!!!!

Hope to talk with you guys soon! Email me if you'd like.

Rod

OP
OP
redfish

redfish

Greenie
Dec 30, 2004
FL.
Hi Rob

I'm new at this detecting I bought mine at Kellyco if you go there or call them up they will help you out. Toll FREE 1-800-898-6673 & 1-800-327-9697

1085 Belle Ave.Winter Springs Fl. 32708 Take 95 To the B-line 528 . B-Line to 417 then get off Exit 44. Then take a left. Is about 5 to 6 miles to left. Just go down the street

Is on the left. Is about One and half hour. Is worth the ride.Talk to Tony Pascal. Red Fish

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darod, redfish is absolutely correct about Kellyco. That is where I purchased my MineLab Excalibur 1000 about four years back. Due to your location, I would recommend that you go with a detector for beach use that is salt water resistant. If you are a diver I would encourage you to go with an underwater detector. You won?t be sorry about laying down a little extra cash in order to be able to dive with your detector. I have dove with both the Excalibur and the JW Fisher Pulse 8X Pro.
I am one of a handful of folks that I know who also work at Patrick AFB, and treasure hunt with metal detectors. Most of us work at the 920RQW, and one at the DOS air wing. I also keep the dive boat ?Enterprise?, at the Manatee Cove Marina at Patrick. She is an old 33 foot Chris Craft Corinthian that is not much to look at right now. However, I can be found aboard her most evenings after work, and some weekends re-fitting her in preparation for the spring dive season. If you?re in the neighborhood, feel free to drop in.

D

Darod

Re: Hi : wreckdiver1715

Hi,

I work for CE in Bldg 535 on base. My number is 4-3734. I'd love to pick your brain a bit if you have time, sometime. I just purchased a Fisher 1280X off eBay for $350. A descent deal I guess. I don't dive (don't know how to :)). I'm interested in hitting the beachs mainly at first. Anyhow, give me a call when you have time and we'll talk.

Thanks,
Rod

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rod, congratulations on your new detector, it looks like just the machine for our sunny Florida beaches. I will give you a call Tuesday.
Happy hunting!

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions