Upvote 0

Conch1

Feb 7, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
BH Quickdraw II, Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are right. The one on the bottom left of the page you linked to looks a lot like it to me.

This one:

View attachment 623657

Actually, this looks like a postumus antoninianus (2 denarii) commemorating the death of the emperor Valerian I probably issued during the sole reign of his son, Gallienus sometime around 260 a.d. The coin's legends are in Latin, as opposed to the eastern issues which still used Greek lettering.

Conch1

Feb 7, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probus, Potin Tetradrachm of Egypt, Alexandria

Ob: A K M AVP PP-OBOC CEB - Laureate, cuirassed bust right
Rv: L-Z, eagle standing right with wreath in its beak View attachment 623659

What makes me think that the found coin is an Antioch issue is that it is thinner and has a greated diameter than the typical Egyptian issues of this emperor. The greek legends would be pretty consistent, but during this era Egyptian tetradrachms were typically slightly larger in diameter than a dime but about three times as thick.

Conch1

Feb 7, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can sometimes be difficult to accurately pin-point Roman coin issues. For one thing, die cutters in outlying officinas almost never had a good look at the new emperor in order to accurately depict him on the new coins of the realm, so they often reused old portraits that were copied from coins issued in the officinas of Rome that would eventually make their way out to the far reaches of the empire. During this era emperors rarely lasted more than a few years. There are literally thousands of variations.

Sometimes, many issues cannot be found in the standard references so attributions can only be a judgement call based on my 45 years of collecting Roman coins.

Conch1

Feb 7, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, this looks like a postumus antoninianus (2 denarii) commemorating the death of the emperor Valerian I probably issued during the sole reign of his son, Gallienus sometime around 260 a.d. The coin's legends are in Latin, as opposed to the eastern issues which still used Greek lettering.

I may have to qualify this one now that I think about it...the legend indicates that the person who had died and was diefied as a god was only a Caesar and not an Emperor, so this is is the son of Gallienus, Valerian II, who dies sometime around 255 A.D. As close as I can get to a full attribution with available (to me) references is that it is similar to #27 listed in Roman Imperial Coinage by Mattingly and Sydenham.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find:thumb_up:
bet necklace is still out there