Sifter test

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Work will have me tied up for a month of Midnight shifts 13 hours a day 6 days a week for a month so I had to take advantage of the day off yesterday. Day was nice but not near what it was in Florida the past few weeks. Off to some fresh water beaches to give it a go. I wanted to test out my sifter but the first beach was a bit to rough for waders and the sifter, the second beach is more protected and was almost glass. I had hit this beach once before and thought it was littered with pop cans do to the sound the CZ-21 makes for large targets (sounds like a door bell) but yesterday I was using the SOV GT and the sound to me didn't say pop can so I kept digging until I was successful in retriving one of the targets.

I used a soda crate with plastic screen and pool noodles to make the sifter and wanted to see how it would work out and how many scoops I could put in it until it sunk and it amazed me . This area has a lot of gravel and small rocks under the sand so eventually the sifter would clog up and not let out the fine sand/dirt and after loading this thing up, it started to sink and made a dash to the shore so I wouldn't lose my treasures that I hadn't seen yet.....

Apparently, this beach is used by hunters for ducks and geese cause I ended up with 3 decoy anchors.... there are plenty more in there but they are hard to get into the scoop for some reason (not pinpointing well?). Anyway, along with the anchors, I ended up with lots of bottle tops, pulltabs, $2.50 in clad and surprise... a silver toe ring... I'd have to say, the sifter paid off on its first outing... not to say I wouldn't have got the ring and clad without it, it does make work a little easier when removing rocks and shells from the scoop.

The decoy anchors will now be used for drag anchors for the sifter.....

HH all,

Attachments

• IMG_0811sm.jpg
    IMG_0811sm.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0812sm.jpg
    IMG_0812sm.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation, detecting is gold, if i were you search the beach when move the sand. I wish you luck.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cdv1,
I love my sifter!! My first time out and got a silver ring too!!! I have saved 20x-time in recovery!! Times when competition was thick and they didn't have one! Recently I have replaced the pool noodles with pvc tube, will last years longer!!! HH&GL!
P.s. where's the pic of your sifter!
SnT

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found hunting in the water is much easier with a floating sifter. I don't ever leave goodies in it though. I pull them out after the sand works off, then periodically I dump the rocks and shells so it won't overload.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would like to know where you found plastic screen/mesh. I have been finding it hard to find any. I would like to make a floating sifter, and make it all out of plastic so I can scan to make sure target is in it.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
All differet sizes, I just got some .26, and .22 good for the small stuff..the larger is .45, they ship fast and cheap..I got several O-Ring sets, and 2 large pieces of the netting and cost me like 5 dollars to ship all

McMaster-Carr

k SNAG-0027.jpg SNAG-0030.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
cdv1

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
All differet sizes, I just got some .26, and .22 good for the small stuff..the larger is .45, they ship fast and cheap..I got several O-Ring sets, and 2 large pieces of the netting and cost me like 5 dollars to ship all

McMaster-Carr

k View attachment 624714 View attachment 624715

Yep as OBN said, McMaster Carr, good stuff and fast shipping. I got carried away and will not need any new mesh now for quite awhile.... the plastic mesh is easy to work with and cuts easily with scissors. No metal what so ever in the sifter and I learned to check it out after a few targets to make sure I don't sink it. LOL

Cliff

Attachments

• 100MEDIA_IMAG0357sm.jpg
    100MEDIA_IMAG0357sm.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 140

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks pretty good-:thumb_up:- sent you a PM with link to story i did on sifters

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks Lite, like those big pool noodles....

I'm always looking for new idea's..this one is a kewl one.."Storage Sifter"..from Raven69 over on finds...And here a couple oldone's from the past...in the vid..

SNAG-0001.jpg

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first saw that pic, I thought "why the heck is there an opening in the floatation?!" Now I get it, I just don't see how they sealed it off. I really like the idea of a built in keeper place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread