Need some advice......

tah06090

Nov 6, 2011
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-trac/ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to decide on a water detector. I do alot of land hunting with a etrac love it lol dont have much expirience int he water. Living in vermont i dont plan on doin much ocean maybe a couple time sof year in new england so hunting will be id say 95% freshwater lakes and rivers. Im somewhat on a budget> I have been leaning tword the tesoro tiger shark also looking at maybe a at pro but more tword the tesoro any advice on a good freshwater detector with the once or twice a year ocean trip? also if any tesoros users which do you prefer 8in or 10in coil? and strictly for water what would the AT have over the tesoro? Thanks guys

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sent you a PM

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buy a sand shark you like it better, it's also good in salt or fresh water.

OP
OP
tah06090

tah06090

Nov 6, 2011
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-trac/ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read the sand shark in fresh water you will be digging tons and tons of junk due to the discrimination settings on it?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your gonna be hunting freshwater 95 percent of the time I don't know if i'd go with a Sand Shark. They are great for saltwater but I wouldn't recommend a pulse unit for freshwater, unless you want to be digging every little scrap of whatever up to 2 feet down, you'll get tired of that pretty quick. I'd go with a Tigershark or the AT Pro for freshwater. The only thing the AT Pro has over the Tigershark (IMHO) is bells and whistles with a bigger learning curve. They are both good machines and you can't beat the Tesoro warranty. Also the AT Pro is only good for shallow water 10 ft or less, the Tigershark, 200 ft. As for the coils, 8 inch is better for more trashy areas, 10 inch will get you a little deeper and cover more area faster. The next detector on my list is an AT Pro.

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
tesoro

Trying to decide on a water detector. I do alot of land hunting with a etrac love it lol dont have much expirience int he water. Living in vermont i dont plan on doin much ocean maybe a couple time sof year in new england so hunting will be id say 95% freshwater lakes and rivers. Im somewhat on a budget> I have been leaning tword the tesoro tiger shark also looking at maybe a at pro but more tword the tesoro any advice on a good freshwater detector with the once or twice a year ocean trip? also if any tesoros users which do you prefer 8in or 10in coil? and strictly for water what would the AT have over the tesoro? Thanks guys

I think a tesoro stingray is way to go, used is cheaper 4.4lbs. good on land too. 8 inch coil is hardwired and waterproof to 200 feet under. In case it rains.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Again, Tiger Shark with 8" coil. Good Hunting!

OP
OP
tah06090

tah06090

Nov 6, 2011
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-trac/ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys pretty sure im gonna get the tiger shark any ideas on good submersible head phones?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT pro...lighter,vdi numbers, three tones, easier to change batteries, DD coil...killer freshwater machine.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys pretty sure im gonna get the tiger shark any ideas on good submersible head phones?
The tiger shark comes with attached headphones. One other great point with the tiger shark is the Tesoro warranty. It will save you hundreds of dollars. And while the tiger is heavy, if you mount the control box at the top, it will counter balance the coil and you can comfortably land hunt with it all day.

OP
OP
tah06090

tah06090

Nov 6, 2011
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-trac/ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info on the phones!

OP
OP
tah06090

tah06090

Nov 6, 2011
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-trac/ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tiger shark comes with attached headphones. One other great point with the tiger shark is the Tesoro warranty. It will save you hundreds of dollars. And while the tiger is heavy, if you mount the control box at the top, it will counter balance the coil and you can comfortably land hunt with it all day.

are the hard wired or detachable?

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't mess around! Excal! You will make your money back & quick!!!

SnT

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are the hard wired or detachable?

Tiger shark headphones are hardwired. But Tesoro repairs or replaces them as needed. My four year old Tiger Shark got a brand new pair at no cost last year. And Tesoro turns around their work fast. I think it was about two weeks for me last March when I sent mine in to them.

OP
OP
tah06090

tah06090

Nov 6, 2011
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-trac/ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have a oppertunity to buy a used tiger shark with the exchangable coils any thoughts?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions