Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Best PI machine for Salt beach

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2004
    Oregon
    IDX PRO, TDI SL, BHID
    35 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by U.K. Brian View Post
    What a load of old bull. The whole point with Whites is that they almost totally missed the bus on the sensitivity to small item/low u/S front. There's no SMALL gold items displayed here at all. Eric Foster started to reduced the u/S settings of his machines years back and the improved performance is why people would happily pay two or three time the cost of the Tesoros and Whites.

If you decide you don't really want to make wet sand detecting worthwhile then take the cheap option and compete with the twin and multifrequency detectors. Or invest in getting results.
    I think you make a good point. Unfortunately, Eric Foster machines are not readily available at the moment, correct? I believe they are no longer manufactured and those that have them seldom part with them. Aside then, from the "cheap option" or the "twin and multifrequency" detectors, what do you recommend? Which PI is left that will be sufficient to find small gold that would be an investment to get results? A waterproof TDI SL? If only.........

us
    Jul 2010
    Gulf Coast Florida
    Tesoro Sand Shark
    455 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Personally, I prefer big gold -- although as of lately, seems all I can get is the small gold, lol. Do the math. $80 bucks of gold compared to $800 worth. It is what it is, it aint what it was... Not complaining though. My Sand Shark gets both, fine, small, medium, and large gold. Works for me! Maybe it's how I roll.
    He who digs the most trash finds the most treasure! | Tesoro Sand Shark Fan Page

us
    Jul 2010
    Central Florida
    A Propointer tied to a stick
    25 times
    Metal Detecting
    Well, as a guy who owned the Excalibur II, the White's Dual Field, the Detectorpro Pulse, and the Tesoro Sand Shark, the only one I kept was the Sand Shark.

The problem with metal detectors is everybody has their own preferences, so mine might not be the same as yours.

As for the Excal, I could never get used to the tones, found the detector to be too heavy (which matters if you plan to hunt all day), and could never hip mount it comfortably. So I sold it to someone who really likes them and they've been enjoying it the last time I saw them.

The Dual Field? Sorry, not a fan. That coil is ridiculously large and floats like a cork. You honestly have to apply pressure to keep the darned thing under water. Also, if you want to adjust the volume, you have to open the control box. I mean, what engineer came up with that idea? Some days the wind is really blowing and you need to adjust up or down and now you have to open the whole control box at the beach to adjust? Serious design flaw, IMHO. As for performance, once you get done wrestling that garbage can lid sized coil, it works like any other pulse I used. I know some folks like it a lot, but not for me.

The Detectorpro Pulse was a great, lightweight detector that went deep and did suck the batteries dry. It also has EXTERNAL volume control. But since I had the Sand Shark, I couldn't justify owning two. But right now, if I gave up the Sand Shark for some reason, I'd by the Detectorpro.

The Sand Shark is my choice for now. I use the 8" coil model. It does deeper than I usually care to dig, I like the tone setup, I really like the external volume control, I like the build quality and the lifetime warranty. I have also found plenty of very small targets, so I'm not concerned about missing small gold jewelry if its down there.

Well, there's all my personal preferences. Hope you found it useful, or amusing, or both.
    Sir Gala Clad likes this.

us
    Keep your coil to the soil!!!

Jun 2011
    Chesapeake, VA
    Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
    266 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    Well, as a guy who owned the Excalibur II, the White's Dual Field, the Detectorpro Pulse, and the Tesoro Sand Shark, the only one I kept was the Sand Shark.

The problem with metal detectors is everybody has their own preferences, so mine might not be the same as yours.

As for the Excal, I could never get used to the tones, found the detector to be too heavy (which matters if you plan to hunt all day), and could never hip mount it comfortably. So I sold it to someone who really likes them and they've been enjoying it the last time I saw them.

The Dual Field? Sorry, not a fan. That coil is ridiculously large and floats like a cork. You honestly have to apply pressure to keep the darned thing under water. Also, if you want to adjust the volume, you have to open the control box. I mean, what engineer came up with that idea? Some days the wind is really blowing and you need to adjust up or down and now you have to open the whole control box at the beach to adjust? Serious design flaw, IMHO. As for performance, once you get done wrestling that garbage can lid sized coil, it works like any other pulse I used. I know some folks like it a lot, but not for me.

The Detectorpro Pulse was a great, lightweight detector that went deep and did suck the batteries dry. It also has EXTERNAL volume control. But since I had the Sand Shark, I couldn't justify owning two. But right now, if I gave up the Sand Shark for some reason, I'd by the Detectorpro.

The Sand Shark is my choice for now. I use the 8" coil model. It does deeper than I usually care to dig, I like the tone setup, I really like the external volume control, I like the build quality and the lifetime warranty. I have also found plenty of very small targets, so I'm not concerned about missing small gold jewelry if its down there.

Well, there's all my personal preferences. Hope you found it useful, or amusing, or both.
    Great info smudge! I really like the sound of the DetectorPro, and the Sand Shark seems to be a fan favorite. Can you speak to the depths you're getting or have gotten with both those machines when finding the small gold? Do you regularly pull up chains with them? That's one pet peeve I have with the Excal is it's lack of detection depth when it comes to chains and small gold. I love when it hits the big rings, but those are few and far between. I'm afraid there's smaller stuff that it's missing that would add up. Can you pull a gold bracelet/necklace from the wet sand with either of those machines at 6". Or deeper? And what about small women's rings? Is 6" attainable? Too easy? Can it get them deeper? I'd be interested to hear what kind of depths they get. Of course depths are tough to tell in sandy conditions...So I suppose that could be debateable. Anyway...I really appreciate your input and hope to hear more about these two.

us
    Oct 2010
    58 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dbsmokey View Post
    I think you make a good point. Unfortunately, Eric Foster machines are not readily available at the moment, correct? I believe they are no longer manufactured and those that have them seldom part with them. Aside then, from the "cheap option" or the "twin and multifrequency" detectors, what do you recommend? Which PI is left that will be sufficient to find small gold that would be an investment to get results? A waterproof TDI SL? If only.........
    The Headhunter Pulse really IS an Eric Foster design, actually.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3266 times
    Metal Detecting

Loving the debate!

Wow, great thread!

So here is my 2-cents. On a saltwater beach you have two options: 1) Buy a $1,500.00 BBS machine, and miss everything under 15" or, 2) Buy a VLF for the dry sand and a PI for the wet sand and water, and not miss anything. Most old fogies will scream how you are wasing valuable time and energy digging everything in wet sand, and that their Excal's are shooting just as deep.. That's fine. I know better. I find more treasure with my $600.00 Tesoro Sand Shark in the wet, than any of my hunting buddies with their Minelab Sov's and Excal's - much more. I actually walk behind them on the beach without fear.

The real secret to successful beach hunting is not so much the detector, as much as it is the beach itself. Unless there is treasure there to find, it doesn't really matter what machine you have. If you want to get "old" gold, you need to go deep. That is where the PI is King. I LOVE my Sand Shark on the beach!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SixRings.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	628754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	summer2011.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	398.9 KB 
ID:	628752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	628753  
    hamiddetecting and leprechaun like this.

Oct 2005
    XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
    122 times
    THe C-Scope P.I.'s are also originally Eric Foster designs but do lack a few vital controls (but are cheap and easy to get repaired if needed). Headhunter has the depth with the large coil and is very sensitive to thin silver and gold chains with the smaller fitted. Still does eat batteries but there's great new batteries out there. Pulse delay is 15 to 40 compared to the D.F.'s 15 and the Tesoro lagging at 22.

Eric Foster does seem to have retired from producing detectors but is still working with other companies. Hopefully the Pulse Devil and Surf Devil will help fill the gap in time.

Most required control in my view is an adjustable SAT control. Whilst others have to reduce their sensitivity to gold to deal with black sand and volcanic issues adjustment of the SAT deals with any problems with having to offset other controls from their best settings. Can also be used to sharpen up the audio signal aiding with both I.D. and pinpointing.
    Sir Gala Clad likes this.

Nov 2007
    somewhere between here and there, south of over there but north of that place
    titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
    312 times
    I'm using the Seahunter and have found rings and large chains, nothing the size of a small ankle bracelet though. It picks up pieces of sparkler wire at 8 inches, bbs at the same, and beer cans at 18. I've chest mounted it and just swing the coil and shaft while neck deep. I run it at zero discrimination (the elimination/discreet mode is a joke) with a barely audible threshold. I dig every signal, even the double bobbypin beeps and this thing will find metal trust me. Most of the rings I've found have been within 8" of the sand surface,a 49.8 gram 14k necklace was one scoop under, sometimes I find pennies two scoops down.

I had a problem with my initial coil which I worked out with Garrett to my satisfaction, I also had a problem with(not sure if it was my fault or not)with water intrusion, Garrett was more than fair in handling that.

Would I buy another. YES but then again I've not used an Excal or CZ.

It all boils down to passing an 8" coil over a 1" circle in a multi million square mile body of water and although you can find cuts and areas, it's not like fishing at all.
    when you tug on a single thing in nature, you'll find it's connected to the rest of the world. John muir

us
    Jul 2010
    Gulf Coast Florida
    Tesoro Sand Shark
    455 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Ha! I love the whole "u/s" theory. LOL. Yep. Sand Shark is surely lacking in small gold, aint it Terry?

Just a few of the Small gold items, that the Shark doesn't find.

I wonder if I should post some of the big gold, that it also doesnt find, lol.

Fact: If you have a can of corn that costs $5 and a can of corn costs $1, guess what? The $1 can tastes as good, if not better, than the $5 can. Corn is corn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm23.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	628861   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm22.jpg 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	628860   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm21.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	628859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm20.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	628858   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm19.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	628857  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm18.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	628856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm17.jpg 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	628855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm16.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	628854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm15.jpg 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	628853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm14.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	628852  

Name:	sm13.jpg 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	628851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm12.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	628850   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm11.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	628849   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm10.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	628848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm9.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	628847  

Name:	sm8.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	628846   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm7.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	628844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm6.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	628843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm5.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	628842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm4.jpg 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	628841  

Name:	sm3.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	628840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	628839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm1.jpg 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	628838  
    Last edited by DewGuru; Apr 22, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
    hamiddetecting and leprechaun like this.
    He who digs the most trash finds the most treasure! | Tesoro Sand Shark Fan Page

us
    Jul 2010
    Central Florida
    A Propointer tied to a stick
    25 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdigger1581 View Post
    Great info smudge! I really like the sound of the DetectorPro, and the Sand Shark seems to be a fan favorite. Can you speak to the depths you're getting or have gotten with both those machines when finding the small gold? Do you regularly pull up chains with them? That's one pet peeve I have with the Excal is it's lack of detection depth when it comes to chains and small gold. I love when it hits the big rings, but those are few and far between. I'm afraid there's smaller stuff that it's missing that would add up. Can you pull a gold bracelet/necklace from the wet sand with either of those machines at 6". Or deeper? And what about small women's rings? Is 6" attainable? Too easy? Can it get them deeper? I'd be interested to hear what kind of depths they get. Of course depths are tough to tell in sandy conditions...So I suppose that could be debateable. Anyway...I really appreciate your input and hope to hear more about these two.
    Depends what you mean by "small gold". If you're talking about something like the back of an earring, I don;t think there is a detector made today that can find one in the wet salt sand. If you're talking about small gold rings, the answer can really vary from beach to beach based on salt content and ground mineralization. Though expecting 6"-8" does not seem a tall unreasonable. As to gold chains, you have a similar problem. No PI or vlf detector really hits on these unless the clasp on the chain is large enough or if there is a pendant attached to the ring that the detector can lock on to. You'll likely notice that gold chains tends to be the least found of the valuable objects pulled from the sand, no matter which detector you are using.

us
    Jul 2010
    Gulf Coast Florida
    Tesoro Sand Shark
    455 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Depends what you mean by "small gold". If you're talking about something like the back of an earring, I don;t think there is a detector made today that can find one in the wet salt sand. If you're talking about small gold rings, the answer can really vary from beach to beach based on salt content and ground mineralization. Though expecting 6"-8" does not seem a tall unreasonable. As to gold chains, you have a similar problem. No PI or vlf detector really hits on these unless the clasp on the chain is large enough or if there is a pendant attached to the ring that the detector can lock on to. You'll likely notice that gold chains tends to be the least found of the valuable objects pulled from the sand, no matter which detector you are using.
    Depends what you mean by "small gold". If you're talking about something like the back of an earring, I don;t think there is a detector made today that can find one in the wet salt sand.
    We find them here on a regular basis with the Shark. I consider them to be nuisance items.
    JMW likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3266 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by DewGuru View Post
    Ha! I love the whole "u/s" theory. LOL. Yep. Sand Shark is surely lacking in small gold, aint it Terry?

Just a few of the Small gold items, that the Shark doesn't find.

I wonder if I should post some of the big gold, that it also doesnt find, lol.

Fact: If you have a can of corn that costs $5 and a can of corn costs $1, guess what? The $1 can tastes as good, if not better, than the $5 can. Corn is corn.
    Bingo!

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    3266 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by DewGuru View Post
    We find them here on a regular basis with the Shark. I consider them to be nuisance items.
    They just can't stand us.. LOL!

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    3266 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by U.K. Brian View Post
    THe C-Scope P.I.'s are also originally Eric Foster designs but do lack a few vital controls (but are cheap and easy to get repaired if needed). Headhunter has the depth with the large coil and is very sensitive to thin silver and gold chains with the smaller fitted. Still does eat batteries but there's great new batteries out there. Pulse delay is 15 to 40 compared to the D.F.'s 15 and the Tesoro lagging at 22.

Eric Foster does seem to have retired from producing detectors but is still working with other companies. Hopefully the Pulse Devil and Surf Devil will help fill the gap in time.

Most required control in my view is an adjustable SAT control. Whilst others have to reduce their sensitivity to gold to deal with black sand and volcanic issues adjustment of the SAT deals with any problems with having to offset other controls from their best settings. Can also be used to sharpen up the audio signal aiding with both I.D. and pinpointing.
    Brian, when are you and the others going to stop regurgitating this pulse delay myth? Pulse delay by itself means nothing. Geesh, you would think people would know better by now. Live and learn..

us
    Keep your coil to the soil!!!

Jun 2011
    Chesapeake, VA
    Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
    266 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Brian, when are you and the others going to stop regurgitating this pulse delay myth? Pulse delay by itself means nothing. Geesh, you would think people would know better by now. Live and learn..
    Can you elaborate on this Terry? What is this myth all about? I've seen the u/s and pulse delay mentioned in this thread and others, but it doesn't mean anything to me. Can someone you explain it and what it's affect is, and why it's a myth? Thanks!

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Sponsors