Clad and Silver from VA Beach

N2CU

Feb 13, 2011
Orchard Park, Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F70, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to VA Beach again for a five night stay and hit the dry sand (mostly) each day in the morning and evening. 8-) Ended up with 37 quarters, 28 dimes, 15 nickels and 127 pennies. I found out I could use my F70 in the wet sand by ground balancing in all metal mode and turning down the sensitivity. I was digging some coins at 6". Didn't find much there but I really wasn't prepared for wet hunting.

IMG_0351.jpg

The best of it is pictured down front; a .925 silver earring and a 1964 silver Rosie. :hello2:

IMG_0355.jpg

Almost put the earring in the trash side of my apron but upon closer inspection I spotted "925".

IMG_0354.jpg

Another highlight was meeting VA Beach Max in the lane. :hello: I really enjoy his videos.

While detecting, some guy comes up and gets my attention. Then he throws a coin down on the sand and asks me to scan it. I can see it's a silver dollar. But when I scan over it I don't get the expected nice high tone. It only makes a little grunt which signifies iron. I immediately say it's counterfeit. He tries convincing me it's real and asks me what I'd pay him for it. I tell him it isn't worth anything if counterfeit, but he insists. So I finally tell him I'd give him $5 for it and he says he could get $50. It's a 1903 Morgan but somebody defaced it by scratching a frown around the mouth. Now why would someone deface it if it's real and could he really have found it lying on top of the sand in plain view right by the boardwalk? ??? Unfortunately I didn't have a magnet on me to check it but I'm pretty sure it was a fake.

Anyway, I had fun picking up clad but disappointed I didn't find any gold or diamonds like last year. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation! The coins is gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread