Nuttall scoop met Dewalt, then the windy city

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to try running one of these Nuttall scoops for this season and see how I like this style scoop. Have only had straight wood-handled scoops in the past, took some getting used to the angled handle, I like it. It's extremely well crafted, has a very strong floating fiberglass handle, is fairly lightweight and tough as heck. It drains fine, just not as fast as say a magnum scoop which drains lightning fast and spoils you, not quite enough holes and they are too far apart, imo (*which does make the basket very extra tough though).
I had second thoughts, didn't wanna mess up any holes, but decided to just go for it. Carefully laid out the lines on the bottom sides and backplate, drilled 1/4" holes in the rear half and slightly smaller holes in the front half. Also drilled some holes along the bottom, where items previously zoomed outa the scoop like on a waterslide.
Had to get out and take the mind off of other things, so I headed over to Chicago to give it a try. The forecast was extra gusty outa the north/northwest, but I didn't really care.
It drains sand quicker than before with less agitation required and the targets don't slide out like they did before either (small pieces of foil, beavertails,pulltabs, all stay put now, somehow). Very happy with it now.
The waves were relentlessly pounding the shoreline, couldn't hardly get out to hunt in the water, but did find one beach that had some sand moved out in spots. Found one junk ring and more nickels than ever before in a single day but no gold laying with them.
IMG_20120426_184816.jpg

IMG_20120427_094508.jpg

IMG_20120427_094606.jpg

IMG_20120426_205207.jpg

IMG_20120426_205219.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation!

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very neat job on drilling those holes.rc2125; you must be a professional welder to do such an exact job as that.:headbang:

Lorraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread