Bathtub and Stuart Beaches Florida

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tried my luck at both beaches for the first time today. Bathtub was loaded with trash even though all the new sand, only producing a penny, can of cheese whiz and an extensive collection of Beer caps. touched a bit in the shallows but the wind and waves were strong. Stuart Beach was a bit better with 3 quarters and a penny, a few more caps, an erasable pen ( the old kind with a metal ring at the eraser end) found 8". found a zipper pull at 10". well that's today's haul..

Upvote 0

Sand-duner

Nov 24, 2009
Sequim, WA
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What machine are you using? Are you hitting the "towel line" or just wandering around? I used to just walk around aimlessly when I first started and didn't find anything other than trash. I started hitting the volleyball courts and the walkways from the parking lots to the beach and those seem to produce some good coin numbers. Volleyball courts have turned up a few junk earrings, nothing gold yet, but at least it's something worth digging up.

OP
OP
BallsDeep

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
What machine are you using? Are you hitting the "towel line" or just wandering around? I used to just walk around aimlessly when I first started and didn't find anything other than trash. I started hitting the volleyball courts and the walkways from the parking lots to the beach and those seem to produce some good coin numbers. Volleyball courts have turned up a few junk earrings, nothing gold yet, but at least it's something worth digging up.

I'm using a Garrett AT Pro and switch hit with a Cobra Beach magnet. i did hit the towel line, thats where all the beer caps, cheese whiz and the penny was lol. nothing in the lap line or on the south side of the deck? been watching the cam to see the most common areas.

OP
OP
BallsDeep

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
oh, i should mention i had the discrimination set to zero.. might explain the trash LOL

Sand-duner

Nov 24, 2009
Sequim, WA
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zero discrim would account for the pull tabs, though I'm wondering why you're not finding more on such a populated beach. Does the tide and current hit it that hard? I know in Jax, we have some major tides about twice every month, but for the most part, our tides and currents aren't TOO strong, unless we get hit by NE'er. I find most of my decent coins within about 10ft of the dunes, near local pubs, bars, clubs, hotel exits, showers, etc. We also have a pier here that will often hold a lot down near the pilings where the current and waves swirl around at high tide.

My BH is not a water machine by any means, I usually run my sensitivity about 80% full, and my discrim is always set right about 20-25% to eliminate SOME pull tabs and Al foil. Also, if I get a good signal, then try and get it to repeat and it bounces all over, I'll usually skip it as 99.99999999% of the time it's foil or a bottle cap.

OP
OP
BallsDeep

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
they just re-sanded the bathtub beach about 6 months ago, but you would think due to the trash that there would be more there. as for the waves, almost none (except the day i took off work to hunt lol) the beach is surrounded by a reef so waves are tiny and almost non existent. i need to go back and try again on a more calmer day.

Bathtub Beach - Martin County, Florida

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i haven't hunted beaches much, tho i've gotten out there 2 or 3 times this year. probably getting out on the beach consistently is the best remedy.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good start and i wish you luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread