Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Is the Sand Shark really this insensitive to small gold?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    treasurelagoon.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    2581 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    So you're mainly looking at the accumulated weight of the chain links and not all the other individual tiny stuff. I see your point and understand your goal a little better now. Several links of gold chain add up quickly.

PS: Probably wasn't good having that notion planted into my head.
    Last edited by bigscoop; May 01, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
    "The key to finding gold is finding places where it can be accessed."

us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3096 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    Some years ago I became kind of "obsessed" with my inability to find gold chains at any depth...I would hit one occasionally...very occasionally, but it almost always was associated with other targets or was a chain with a very big clasp or a locket, charm, etc. If you look at people anywhere you will see them wearing chains...and if you watch people running and roughhousing on the beach, you know the chains just have to be there. I have actually lost chains myself, for god's sake. Clasps fail. The problem is that the links of the chain just do not "add-up", not to a metal detector, anyway. It is like taking a vial of very fine placer gold...even a fairly heavy vial, say 7 grams and trying to detect it...you will get nothing...not even with a super sensitve VLF. The individual particles of gold don't add up either, not to a metal detector. If the detector can't detect the heaviest link in the chain, it is not going to detect the chain. That is just the way it is...and a .3 g 14kt link of gold chain is a fairly heavy chain link. Think about it...94 links of such a chain would equal an ounce of 14 kt gold. I actually ran into an old fellow once on the beach using a Goldmaster III. I thought he was crazy, but I got into a conversation with him and he was anything but. The Goldmaster III is a super sensitive dedicated gold prospecting machine...but it has IRON I.D. He just stayed in the dry and dug everything that didn't ID iron. If you have ever seen a detector like the GoldMaster III in action, you will know what I mean. They can find really small bits of gold. I mean really small bits of gold. So they will detect gold chains...and probably at very decent depths, depending on the beach. I will bet that one could maybe nail a fairly thick chain at approaching a foot. But if you use one, you are stuck firmly to the dry, because vlf's that operate at high frequency's can't stand salt water...not even a little bit. There are a couple of Tesoro machines that are supposedly good for chains too: the Tiger Shark and the old Stingray I and II. I had a Stingray I once. It was actually a vlf/tr machine. It was sensitive to pretty small gold, but got really poor depth in the wet...I personally just don't like detecting in the dry sand. I know there are chains in the wet...that is actually what got me aroused on the other thread concerning the Sand Shark...it goes back to the pulse delay for any PI...if the delay is really low, then the detector will react to the salt water and be unstable...but to detect really small chain links at any depth the delay HAS to be really low...so it really isn't possible for a PI to detect small chains deeply in the wet...at least not to any machine I know of...and certainly not to a Tesoro Sand Shark...
    Good post, and let's be clear that no one ever posted the Sand Shark will find small gold chains, I have found a "Cuban" style gold chain with the Sand Shark, that weighed almost an ounce. I use the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq in the dry sand. If you run it in All Metal, set up for gold nugget hunting, it WILL find gold chains. I don't run it that way though. Up on the dry sand I use discrimination of 3 (just above iron). The Blisstool has a video out detecting surface gold chains.
    Please visit my Website http://TerrySoloman.com

us
    Oct 2010
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bigscoop View Post
    So you're mainly looking at the accumulated weight of the chain links and not all the other individual tiny stuff. I see your point and understand your goal a little better now. Several links of gold chain add up quickly.

PS: Probably wasn't good having that notion planted into my head.
    Exactly. I could personally care less about an earring back or even a .3 g earring for that matter. But a long 18kt gold chain can be worth a lot of money. Just a few could make a season.

us
    Oct 2010
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Good post, and let's be clear that no one ever posted the Sand Shark will find small gold chains, I have found a "Cuban" style gold chain with the Sand Shark, that weighed almost an ounce. I use the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq in the dry sand. If you run it in All Metal, set up for gold nugget hunting, it WILL find gold chains. I don't run it that way though. Up on the dry sand I use discrimination of 3 (just above iron). The Blisstool has a video out detecting surface gold chains.
    The Lobo Super Traq will get good depth on small gold in the dry, for sure. It will surely detect some gold chains and probably at decent depth. So will an X-terra 70 with a HF coil...Any good gold prospecting VLF will get small gold in the dry. A lot of people don't realize that even PRO's in Australia use VLF's in conjunction with PI's in the gold fields. Those higher frequencey Vlf's will get small "crumb" gold even the minelab "monster" PI's won't see. They just won't do it in the wet. That is the problem... When someone makes the claim that the Sand Shark will detect gold earring "backs", it follows that the Sand Shark would be able to detect small gold chains. An earring back is tiny in weight...it would equal the weight of a very small chain link...

us
    Aug 2008
    West Coast
    Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
    27 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Sand Shark kind of has a lack of controls, not really much you can tweak to make it more sensitive. You can try pulse width, but I found max pulse width gave the best sensitivity. .3g is asking a bit much of the machine, even the TDi/Infinium can barely see a ring/nugget that small. With my old Sand Shark I got about 6 inches on a 2gram gold ring in testing, so 2 inches or so on a 1 gram ring sounds about right.

PS. My infinium doesn't see earring backs or thin chains either, needs to be a loop, like a ring, or a solid object, like a nugget, the magnetic field lasts longer in a ring shaped object or a solid round object.
    Last edited by Aka Nameless; May 01, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
    Garret Infinium LS
    Tesoro Tejon

us
    Aug 2008
    West Coast
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gold fever pete View Post
    Hey Hobbit, I have a Sand Shark, live in California and pulled out a gold ring that weighed 1.2 grams in January. I was in the surf a little above knee deep. the ring was about 12". Have you had your machine calibrated lately? I sent in my White's DFX awhile back. I had basically the same problem. Hope this helps. GFP HH
    No offense, but I doubt that... I bet you were missing the target and it was in the side of the hole. Don't know how you measure a hole in the water anyway...
    Garret Infinium LS
    Tesoro Tejon

us
    Aug 2008
    West Coast
    27 times
    The Tesoro Sand Shark, performs as well as ANY other pulse induction unit priced $1,200.00 or less. It is the ONLY pulse induction unit costing $600.00 or less that can make that claim.
    Why do you always say that? It's so wrong, it's not even funny...

If you want to buy a budget PI that gets decent depth, and has a lifetime warranty, fine, Sand Shark is a decent machine... but it absolutely does not compete with the higher priced PIs. No matter how many times you say it, it will never be true.

Stop feeding us a bunch of bullsh*t, those of us who have used the SS and the higher end PIs knows it's complete BS. The only people that will fall for that, is the newbie beach hunters... but anything for a sale right..?
    Last edited by Aka Nameless; May 02, 2012 at 12:06 AM.
    Garret Infinium LS
    Tesoro Tejon

us
    Feb 2011
    Connecticut
    Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
    16 times
    BC...

I don't really see the big deal that our beach machines don't find many small, thin chains.. personally I can count on one hand how many chains I have found with my beach detectors... our detectors regardless of brand name all see a gold chain the same way 1 link at a time or the clasp... if its gold plated, silver or junk the detector will see the chain and bang on it. I could care less that my detector doesn't find many chains as I rather have big heavy rings especially school rings and I am good at finding those lunkers :lol the chains I have found have been closed with a ring included or a charm or medal, heavyweight chains are no problem seeing my last was 58 grams, last week my friend with his PI found a sweet 90 gram gold chain and he told me he almost skipped it because it had a junky tone and had just dug a piece of a can two feet from it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigscoop View Post
    I'm not a PI user, but am possibly interested so I'm keeping an eye on this thread. One thing that has held me back as far as PI's and the small gold chains and such, so far this year I've not found any with the Excal on the beaches that I hunt.....so it just makes me wonder if there's enough small gold out there to be worth it? As much as I've used the Excal you would think I'd run across one every now and then...but so far...."Zip!" I have gotten a couple of tiny gold earrings but not sure all the extra fumbling around in that process is worth it? I mean, when was the last time someone posted a good haul of tiny gold pieces? I don't know that I've ever seen a really good pile/collection of this smaller jewelry stuff.
    hobbit likes this.

us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3096 times
    Metal Detecting
    LOL! Since I do not sell metal detectors, and I do not work for any manufacturer, I am free to speak my opinion AKA. You are obviously upset that you spent way too much for some optional hype. That seems to happen a lot..

Let me make this clear. The Sand Shark can hang with ANY other PI detector priced $1,200.00 or less. It is the ONLY PI detector with a LIFETIME warranty. No hype, no needless bells or whistles - just performance!

Quote Originally Posted by Aka Nameless View Post
    Why do you always say that? It's so wrong, it's not even funny...

If you want to buy a budget PI that gets decent depth, and has a lifetime warranty, fine, Sand Shark is a decent machine... but it absolutely does not compete with the higher priced PIs. No matter how many times you say it, it will never be true.

Stop feeding us a bunch of bullsh*t, those of us who have used the SS and the higher end PIs knows it's complete BS. The only people that will fall for that, is the newbie beach hunters... but anything for a sale right..?

us
    Oct 2010
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig-PI View Post
    BC...

I don't really see the big deal that our beach machines don't find many small, thin chains.. personally I can count on one hand how many chains I have found with my beach detectors... our detectors regardless of brand name all see a gold chain the same way 1 link at a time or the clasp... if its gold plated, silver or junk the detector will see the chain and bang on it. I could care less that my detector doesn't find many chains as I rather have big heavy rings especially school rings and I am good at finding those lunkers :lol the chains I have found have been closed with a ring included or a charm or medal, heavyweight chains are no problem seeing my last was 58 grams, last week my friend with his PI found a sweet 90 gram gold chain and he told me he almost skipped it because it had a junky tone and had just dug a piece of a can two feet from it.
    Sorry, I guess I am greedy, but I want those 14kt + chains with links of .3g to .4g!!! Those little links add up to substantial weight quickly. And think about quantity...how many of the smaller chains there must be compared to the high quality lunker chains you mention...

us
    Aug 2008
    West Coast
    27 times
    LOL! Since I do not sell metal detectors, and I do not work for any manufacturer, I am free to speak my opinion AKA. You are obviously upset that you spent way too much for some optional hype. That seems to happen a lot..

Let me make this clear. The Sand Shark can hang with ANY other PI detector priced $1,200.00 or less. It is the ONLY PI detector with a LIFETIME warranty. No hype, no needless bells or whistles - just performance!
    Yes, you can say that all you want, but that doesn't make it true. I owned the Sand Shark, I bought one cause of all your praise for the machine, and it didn't perform as you say it does. I now own the Infinium, and it is a few inches deeper on everything, big targets, small targets, everything. I know you're going to say "You must not know how to use the Sand Shark", but come on, that machine is turn on and go, there is no way of messing up the settings.

You are obviously friends with the guys at Tesoro, which is why you will never admit the Sand Shark is mediocre. I'm just tired of seeing you fool people into buying one, thinking they are getting a top notch machine, when they aren't.

You knock a bunch of machines you never owned, and compare the Sand Shark to machines you have never owned. I have owned the Sand Shark, it's mediocre compared to the Infinium. That isn't opinion, it's fact.
    Last edited by Aka Nameless; May 02, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
    Garret Infinium LS
    Tesoro Tejon

us
    Jul 2010
    Gulf Coast Florida
    Tesoro Sand Shark
    448 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Everyones got their faves.

http://www.facebook.com/TesoroSandShark

Started Fan Page for the Tesoro Sand Shark. Hundreds of my own personal photos on it. Feel free to peruse them all. It's still very much a work in progress, Still working on sorting them out into the appropriate categories, and dupe removals. The photos speak for themselves and the Sharks abilities in the real world enviroment of the Gulf Coast.
    He who digs the most trash finds the most treasure! | Tesoro Sand Shark Fan Page

us
    Nov 2007
    SOMEWHERE IN FLORIDA
    Garrett AT PRO
    5 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I had one did well with it,, I would have it looked at By Tesoro.. The one i had Loved Bobby pins . Did well on smaller Gold rings .. not so good on Chains

us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    3096 times
    Metal Detecting
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by DewGuru View Post
    Everyones got their faves.

http://www.facebook.com/TesoroSandShark

Started Fan Page for the Tesoro Sand Shark. Hundreds of my own personal photos on it. Feel free to peruse them all. It's still very much a work in progress, Still working on sorting them out into the appropriate categories, and dupe removals. The photos speak for themselves and the Sharks abilities in the real world enviroment of the Gulf Coast.

us
    Oct 2009
    Florida
    Excall II, Tesoro Sand Shark
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Aka Nameless View Post
    Yes, you can say that all you want, but that doesn't make it true. I owned the Sand Shark, I bought one cause of all your praise for the machine, and it didn't perform as you say it does. I now own the Infinium, and it is a few inches deeper on everything, big targets, small targets, everything. I know you're going to say "You must not know how to use the Sand Shark", but come on, that machine is turn on and go, there is no way of messing up the settings.
    AKA donít take this the wrong way but thatís the funniest thing in this whole thread ( the part in red). How on earth did you let yourself fall for Terryís wild claims lol??!!
    To the OP if your after micro gold, look into getting a prospecting machine. (just my 2 cent ) I've managed to find a decent pile of gold with my S.S. Nice gold rings and chains from impressive depths and some tiny rings too. Funny thing for me is that since I bought a Excall with some of the gold from my shark finds, Ive been completely unimpressed by the excall as far as the depth of finds and the size of the gold. In this case they are too small lol. I still like having the excall though dont get me wrong..and soon I will add a bigger coil to her an then we'll have some fun.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors