Feb 11, 2012
Dirty Jerzee
Detector(s) used
ML Excal II
ML Sov GT
Compass 77B
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last year after returning to the hobby after a 12 year layoff and purchasing my Excal II in early Sept., I began to find my little hoard of French gold coins on the beach...
More of the early story can be explained in the recent Midas Riptide thread on Friendly, as there was an original thread about the first two coins found, but I had it deleted by Craig the Admin many months ago for many reasons that can be partially explained by my response in that thread ...

I also would like to add publicly that Imalookin2 has apologized to me both publicly and in a personal PM, so there are no hard feelings between us whatsoever..

I guess the internet is just full of fish stories for whatever unknown reasons :?:

I received PM's from people that were never aware of the original finds, so they requested I post pics...As I said in the Midas thread, I am not going to tell any fanciful stories and the pics provided will have to be sufficient..
My current Avatar was created by PhotoRob for me back in Sept of 2011.....The coin pictured in my avi is identical in date as to the one found by a member here (Goldirocks) who posted hers here months after mine was found and in close proximity..We have become friends through all of this obviously, because of the craziness of these identcally dated coins and how unusual a find they are for a U.S. beach...My Ceres coin is in beautiful condition, but hers is even nicer....:icon_thumright:

The first coin that I would like to show you is my favorite of the bunch for many reasons....
It is the first year Napoleon began minting these 20 Franc gold coins as a standard currency and through the years , all the dates minted through the 1800's are now referred to as Napoleons...
In early and late 1803, just prior to naming himself The Emporer he had the Paris Mint produce these coins dated AN11 & AN12...
The French Revolution occurred in 1792, so my coin would actually be 12 years after 1792, making it an 1804, however if you research you will find that they were minted in late 1803 and are stated as such by most coin dealers...
Mine as you will see still refers to him as Premier Consul and on the next issue he minted, he is shown with a wreath on his head and named Emporer..

I wish this coin could talk and tell me how it arrived here, because just holding it in my hand gives me such a thrill..The value is irrelevant as recovering such a cool piece of history is just so much cooler....

Here ya go:

Napoleon Bonaparte Premier Consul 20 Franc Gold Coin Dated AN12 Paris Mint

This is in natural daylight:
napan127.jpg

napan126.jpg

napan125.jpg

napan124.jpg

This is indoors in artificial lighting:
napan123.jpg

napan122-1.jpg

napan12.jpg

Here are the first two I found on my third day hunting with my new Excal, which received little fanfare as I guess most believed it was a Fish Story, until Goldirocks found one similiar.. I took some pics for the newbies that are just getting into MDing here and for others who never saw my original thread back then:

The one as also shown in the Avatar is a 1851 Ceres 20 Franc Gold Coin Paris Mint..
The other is a 1831 Louis Phillippe I 20 Franc Gold Coin Paris Mint

These are all shot in natural daylight:
goldcoins1.jpg

goldcoins2.jpg

goldcoins3.jpg

Here is an awesome Wiki link, which explains most of their history...I have a few others that show pics of all the diff types of Napoleons ever issued, that I can also post a link of if anyone is more interested..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_(coin)

I spent months gridding and hunting to keep adding to the collection, as I wanted to see just how many I could uncover...
Too much attention now surrounds me in my area, so I have moved on to other spots and some of you know from my past posts where I can be found :yes:

I am devoting this next year to learning water hunting as it's my new passion and challenge...In the short time that I have begun venturing a bit into the water , I can clearly see that the coins totals may be fewer, but the jewelry finds are way greater..
So stay tuned for future pics of my finds and I hope you enjoyed looking at some of the Napoleons that I have posted for you today...

Sorry the pics aren't a bit better, cause they actually look sharper in person..I also would like to add that they came out of the sand just as you see them..

I would also like to specially thank my supporters and believers and you all know who you are :headbang:

God Bless and happy Hunting to you all !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Excellent , interesting post, Bigpoppa, and beautiful gold coin finds.:wav:

Thanks for the history....my favorite subject!

A gold coin is on my "bucket list".

Lorraine

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Thanks you for posting the great story and the photos. I am one of those that missed the original post.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation! I wish you luck Lorraine.

PI JOE

Feb 17, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field White's IDX-PRO Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks you for posting the great story and the photos. I am one of those that missed the original post.

Yeah same here. Fantastic finds BP...hope to see some more! :thumbsup:

Goldirocks

Jan 12, 2007
Wow they are awesome!!!! I can't wait to see them in person. It has been a pleasure talking with you for the past few months and enjoying your story and comparing notes about our coins. I don't know why we were chosen to find these beauties but I know that we both appreciate them for their historical value. Everyone asks how much they are worth? That doesn't matter to me. I just hope that everyone who hasn't found a gold coin can someday have that rush that you feel when you do find one. There is no other feeling like it. Well almost no other feeling like it:) Again congrats to you on some fabulous once in a lifetime finds!

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Great find!!!! And, interesting history!!!!

Again, congrats on a Banner Level find!!!!!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the coins And really loved the story, I've been called a liar too, but when i wake uo in the morning I can look myself in the eyes and I know the truth, could care less what what others think or say! HH

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
Those are some great finds BP... hopefully we will see more coming from you ;)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We do not need any problems or drama brought in from other forums......All members must follow the same rules here....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BP, some nice coins there.........:thumbsup:

We do not need any problems or drama brought in from other forums......All members must follow the same rules here....

TreasureNet - Rules

PI JOE

Feb 17, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field White's IDX-PRO Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agree....I see you removed some post, But I also see the post that started the drama.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread has been cleaned up. Please feel free to repost, but keep it positive and please leave the drama out of the posts.

Thankyou....

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BigPoppa and Goldirocks, congrats to both of you for the gld coin finds... and in such great condition, too. I look forward to seeing more in the future.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are beautiful gold coins....Congrats!! :thumbsup: When you find a gold coin, from no matter what country, that must be one feeling that you never forget!! Hopefully we will all get a chance to experience that feeling!

njal

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B.P. Congratulations again on your coins.

They look fantastic on here,but much better in person.:thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to hunting with you again one day soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread