ALUMINUM SCOOPS

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an aluminum scoop because it was lighter than the stainless steel the same length. It does have a big bucket and is about 5 foot in length. after using it for the first time the hand that held it was black. I mean really black. I thought as time went on the black would eventually wear off. I started wearing a glove on that hand as the black took a couple days to come off my hand. Is there any hope that this will stop? Can I put something on it to prevent this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks GFP HH

Upvote 0

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
Some guys spray paint them I taped mine with self sticking tape...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought some of that tennis racket grip for mine. It has an adhesive on one side and so far it's held up real well (I've drowned it a lot). I just used some electrical tape at the ends for safe measure.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pal lightly sanded his then applied a coat of spray on clear coat to it -- works well.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try this:
IMG_1999.jpg

I use it on my aluminum scoop.
I even sprayed it on the lower screen part so when I shake the sand out
my finds don't rattle in it and unnecssarily alert others close by.
You can get it from Home Depot and other hardware stores.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Or, just wear a glove..

OP
OP
G

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info. lol I tried gloves. didn't like them. guess I will try one of the above. Sounds like it just don't stop turnin' things black.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
+1 gloves.

I have an aluminum scoop and for whatever reason it doesn't turn my hand black. Go figure!!! Still, I wear gloves most of the time because not everything i reach for in the sand or the scoop is friendly. Judging from the nicks and cuts in the gloves, a good call on my part.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bike handles fit scoop handles perfectly. I have replaced the handle on a couple because they were rough enough to give me blisters and the bike handles are much more comfortable. Another alternative is to put on one of those handle attachments for meant to be on detectors for lifting easier, but they should fit a scoop too.

2muchstuff

Dec 27, 2007
Just south of St. Louis, Mo.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is also aluminum and doesn't leave my hand black but then I made mine out of 6061-T6 aluminum. Maybe it has something to do with the type of aluminum it's made out of.

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spray painted mine black and put hockey stick tape on the long handle. Carrying around a shiny metal object in the ocean is a really bad idea. All fish, small and BIG, are attracted to shiny things. Better safe than sorry I always say.

Sand-duner

Nov 24, 2009
Sequim, WA
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed on the 6061-T6 and any other "aircraft" grade Al. Cheap aluminum, while still nice and strong and lightweight, has many more impurities and mixed metals in it, which causes it to "leach" out corrosion, often turning skin, clothing, fabrics (tarps, sails, etc) black, and even leaving tarnish and rust stains on concrete. I see a lot of cheap aluminum come into our workplace that someone else thought was a good fix at one point, nothing like good ol' 6061 though.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The detecting on the beach you must have minimun[FONT=arial, sans-serif] 3 Sand scoops.[/FONT]

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How light do you want it? my stainless stealth suger sand scoop with 1 1/2 OD 4 feet high with "T" top weighs 7 lbs. 101_1007 Stealth scoop.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread