Pick 4 Machines?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This should be interesting/fun: "Can a detectorist have too many machines?"

Seems to me we can. The more machines we have the less proficient we become with all of them. This one can do this, this one can't do that, this one can do this and that better but it can't do what that one over there can do, etc, etc." The only guy I can see with the real need for more then say, 3 or 4 different machines, is the very rare guy who travels all over the place metal detecting for everything from coins, relics, to nuggets. Given this, if you were assigned the task of assembling just 4 machines that would allow you to hunt anywhere, for anything, and under any conditions, what 4 machines would you choose, and why?

Upvote 0

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok...I confess...I do have 3 machines...The Vaquero and Cortes are backups..which by the way I have never used in the field yet...Even though I have so many good things about the Vaquero, my ole reliable CZ5 is still my main unit. When you know one detector so well, it isn't easy to switch over to another unit...That's just me!

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I need is just 2 detectors, An Infinium LS and an AT PRO. I can water hunt, relic hunt, Gold hunt And beach hunt.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I mainly water hunt I use the Excal, CZ-20 and my Tiger Shark. For land it is a toss up between the Tejon and my
CZ-6a

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
AT PRO, EXcal`1000,,, I narrowed down to 2,,,, maybe a PI , Sandshark , Dual field .. I think u only need 2 machines though ,, RON Lord hit it on the head ..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can get by with only 5 if i try hard...
Excal with wot coil hardwired on.
Excal with Sef 12x15 inch coil hardwired on.
Sovereign GT..
Safari
Fisher 1235x for competition hunts.......

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only Two will do......The MXT and the ATPro, More than that and I don't think that I could devote enough of my time to be proficient in the use of the above mentioned machines, JMHO:thumbsup:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like excalibur 1000 and 800 is the best for me.

JerseyMike

May 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two, Tiger Shark and a Sov GT, I'm quite pleased with both. I'm still thinking about a Sand Shark and a Dual Field

dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had 3, At Pro, Whites M6 and the Sand Shark. Got rid of the Whites because I didn't need it with the ATP. Still considering a dual field though.
DC

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal
Infinium
Tejon
GPX 5000

That would cover it all... beach hunting in trash or clean beaches, diving, nugget shooting, and coin/relic hunting.

Ken~Digs

May 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i need only 3 Finny LS , Lobo St & pistol Probe pI & My Handmade Digging tools . . . . :icon_thumleft:

Ken~Digs

May 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trio.JPG

worthy

Dec 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro , whites pi , garrett ace 250, c-scope ib
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all my machines are ones ive collected over time . at the moment have an at pro for fresh water & land, a 4 or 5 year old surf pi pro which i take to spain (love this machine) .an ace 250 , and a very old c-scope ib-- still works perfectly even on the beach(dry sand)

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fisher CZ21 and CZ7aPro pretty much get it done for me. I'm looking hard at the Fisher F75 and going to check out the new CTX3030 from Minelab

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread