Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lost a Honker Today.....

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    treasurelagoon.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    2672 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Lost a Honker Today.....

....in the fairly strong surf....solid hit....took four tries.....finally "saw it" tumble from my scoop as I was raising it after the forth attempt.....and I just don't get it....I couldn't find that thing again for the life of me. It had to be there close, flushed somewhere to my left and slightly behind. I must have spent 30 minutes trying to find it again but it just up and disappeared on me. Pretty uneven bottom today, felt like a mountain climber. A bigger scoop is #1 on my list now.......that's twice already this year!
    hamiddetecting likes this.
    "The key to finding gold is finding places where it can be accessed."

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Xcal, Minelab SE, DFX, MXT
    520 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Boyyyyyy fish stories ROFL. Just yanking your chain. Those can make your day turn to do do in a heart beat. Sorry.... but you know where it is it wont go to far.

Dew

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    2672 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dewcon4414 View Post
    Boyyyyyy fish stories ROFL. Just yanking your chain. Those can make your day turn to do do in a heart beat. Sorry.... but you know where it is it wont go to far.

Dew
    That's what I thought when I lost it....can't be too far away, on top of the sand....no problem. But...........only thing I can figure is the surf moved "me" around and not the ring. I'm only 138lbs and I was getting pushed around pretty good......

us
    Nov 2007
    SOMEWHERE IN FLORIDA
    Garrett AT PRO
    5 times
    I hate it when that happens .. you'll find it .. keep going to that spot ...

us
    Retired

Apr 2007
    Naples,fl
    Sea Hunter MK2 and AT PRO
    380 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Fresh drops are hard to find ,go back tommrow and you will find it.

us
    May 2010
    Florida
    CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
    239 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    That Sux.... It's really hard to stay in the same spot especially in ruff surf. Tell us what you saw. Was it big, small, Gold, Silver?? I haven't lost one like that yet and hope I never do. I'd probably still be there with as little gold as I have been seeing this year.... Go back and get it.

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    2672 times
    Quote Originally Posted by biggmike View Post
    That Sux.... It's really hard to stay in the same spot especially in ruff surf. Tell us what you saw. Was it big, small, Gold, Silver?? I haven't lost one like that yet and hope I never do. I'd probably still be there with as little gold as I have been seeing this year.... Go back and get it.
    Hard to tell in the surf.....but it looked like a "possible" class ring. Tide was starting to come back in and the sand under my feet was uneven. Honestly, it was actually a pretty sloppy recovery attempt...was wearing down a little...didn't do a good job pinpointing...should have gave it up an hour earlier....I'm sure you know that story.

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Xcal, Minelab SE, DFX, MXT
    520 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I dont know Ron those biggies dont tend to move that much once they hit the bottom. Ive chased a target or two around..... then realized i had move a good distance from the original hole. Now thats the first thing i look for the original hole. Gotta be there man...

Dew

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    2672 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dewcon4414 View Post
    I dont know Ron those biggies dont tend to move that much once they hit the bottom. Ive chased a target or two around..... then realized i had move a good distance from the original hole. Now thats the first thing i look for the original hole. Gotta be there man...

Dew
    Yep. I should have never lost sight of that original hole. Given the increase in surf, once I moved I was defeated. The big issue I have to nip in the butt ASAP is a bigger scoop.....even if I have to have it made! The one I'm using now is a custom job that I build when I had access to a shop, it was originally made for freshwater beaches so I only made a 5 1/2 x 8 bucket. I love the 90 degree and full loop handle but the bucket is just too small in the surf. I'd really like to have something around 7 x 10 in a 90 degree if I can find one but 90 degree scoops are hard to find.

us
    May 2010
    Florida
    CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
    239 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigscoop View Post
    Hard to tell in the surf.....but it looked like a "possible" class ring. Tide was starting to come back in and the sand under my feet was uneven. Honestly, it was actually a pretty sloppy recovery attempt...was wearing down a little...didn't do a good job pinpointing...should have gave it up an hour earlier....I'm sure you know that story.
    I know what you mean and you're right about the scoop. I have a 5" scoop and a 7" inch scoop and the difference is like night and day. I only use the 5" when in wet sand or on vacation (it breaks down). I bought my 7" scoop about 15 years ago and it's paid for itself over and over. A good scoop costs about one nice gold ring but will save many gold rings in it's lifetime. Get a detector that you love and a scoop that you love. You won't be sorry.

us
    Nov 2010
    North Carolina
    BH LoneStar AT PRO
    137 times
    that stinks

now I see the reason for the other thread "I want a bigger scoop" I don't blame you.

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    2672 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChick View Post
    that stinks

now I see the reason for the other thread "I want a bigger scoop" I don't blame you.
    I just gotta be sure I don't get one that's too big for my little britches.

us
    chuck

Feb 2007
    spacecoast florida
    fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300
    266 times
    beach detecting, treasure hunting, shipwrecks.
    ring fell into you shorts pocket, better go check. been there done that!!!!! lost items and lost original holes. how deep where you?
    chuck.
    you dont know what you dont know, and you dont know what you dont dig!!!!!!!!

us
    Jul 2010
    Gulf Coast Florida
    Tesoro Sand Shark
    453 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Oh no!! Dotcha hate when that happens, lol. I'm notorious for lettin em fall out, but generally do good on snatchin it back up. Go back when your refreshed, you'll get it.
    He who digs the most trash finds the most treasure! | Tesoro Sand Shark Fan Page

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    2779 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    YEARs AGO - I was in Clearwater - a guy there was out at his limits - bout 6 feet of water
    tide was coming in - water was a little choppy - he said he got huge hit - scooped and as he raised he saw
    a gold chain with 3 rings on it slip over the edge of his scoops lip - same thing as you - he frantically searched
    over and over for it and went back out at low tide with no luck

I had a necklace do the same - but I always wear a mask and quickly dropped down and snagged it
    I had it happen on a ring too - bottom had a strong under tow - I was in about 6 feet of water with mask and snorkel
    raised my scoop and saw big ring fall of end - I dropped down to see it quick get sucked out to deeper water - bottom was slightly hard
    so it did not sink - I came up - took another breathe and went back down - ring was about 6 feet from where it started and close to 7-8 feet of water
    "Casper" - coincidence -check it out - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casper_(name) -
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors