Tesoro Sand Shark test video

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty Impressive considering the pulse width was set at one-half of it's capability! Next time tune the machine to the higher pulse width, and turn up the volume so that the whisper breaks are audible at greater distances. Good Start!

OP
OP
H

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
I knew that was coming...I didn't get the mic until late in the day and these tests were a little rushed as I wanted to get them posted...I will do more tests on the Shark tomorrow with adjusted pulse width and volume changes...you will not see a great deal of difference in detection depth, though. I have to agree, the Sand Shark is a solid performer as I have said all along...

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulse width has very little effect on the depth... I knew Terry was gonna say that too...

That's about the same results I had in my tests.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The tests also need to be done in wet saltwater sand, but that is a discussion for another day.

OP
OP
H

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
The tests also need to be done in wet saltwater sand, but that is a discussion for another day.

I knew that was coming, too...and it is manifestly NOT TRUE. The results of these tests will not be measurably affected by ground mineralization. That is the whole point of using a pulse induction detector. They are "basically" unaffected by ground mineralization. You will get the same depth regardless of ground conditions...that is why sometimes you are better off using a VLF...because in benign mineralization, they can be deeper than a PI...now that may be a discussion for another day...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys have on your Swami outfits? You seem to know a lot was coming, but never bothered to address it before it was pointed out. I'm getting all my friends and relatives together and we are putting on the popcorn and chilling the beer, cause these videos have become our favorite laugh-fest already! I LOVE the shorts by the way! Too cute!

OP
OP
H

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
You guys have on your Swami outfits? You seem to know a lot was coming, but never bothered to address it before it was pointed out. I'm getting all my friends and relatives together and we are putting on the popcorn and chilling the beer, cause these videos have become our favorite laugh-fest already! I LOVE the shorts by the way! Too cute!

The funny thing is your insistance that the Sand Shark's performance matches that of the Dual Field or the HHPI...it barely matches the ancient White's pi 1000 !!! It will be clear to anyone who views these tests how much deeper the HHPI and the Dual Field are...Yes. I like the shorts, too. When you detect in the surf you probably wear coveralls...the jig is up on your Sand Shark lie...

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Increasing the pulse width (or current "on" time) really only makes a difference when detecting larger items.
Most non diving PI's will have a pulse width (some adjustable) of 50µs to 100µs. This is a good compromise for coin or ring sized objects. You do not want to increase the pulse width in order to detect really small gold....you will miss these targets.
Also, a longer pulse width will have an affect on the minimum pulse DELAY achievable. As with most metal detectors, there is often a compromise when choosing settings.
Tony.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The funny thing is your insistance that the Sand Shark's performance matches that of the Dual Field or the HHPI...it barely matches the ancient White's pi 1000 !!! It will be clear to anyone who views these tests how much deeper the HHPI and the Dual Field are...Yes. I like the shorts, too. When you detect in the surf you probably wear coveralls...the jig is up on your Sand Shark lie...

Again, we just disagree on who's "jig" is actually up - LOL! But I do want to thank you Hobbit! My friends, not one of them believed you would waste your time doing all these lame tests in your Mom's backyard all day, instead of going out and actually detecting! I'm $50 richer thanks to your needs. We are amazed at your drive, although in the future you should probably learn to prioritize just a bit better. I'm sure people can see for themselves now more than ever, that the $600.00 Tesoro Sand Shark, can hold its own on the beach with any other PI unit priced $1,200.00 or less. Thanks again!

OP
OP
H

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
Again, we just disagree on who's "jig" is actually up - LOL! But I do want to thank you Hobbit! My friends, not one of them believed you would waste your time doing all these lame tests in your Mom's backyard all day, instead of going out and actually detecting! I'm $50 richer thanks to your needs. We are amazed at your drive, although in the future you should probably learn to prioritize just a bit better. I'm sure people can see for themselves now more than ever, that the $600.00 Tesoro Sand Shark, can hold its own on the beach with any other PI unit priced $1,200.00 or less. Thanks again!

Your problem is that these videos are going to stay at the top of the board for everyone to see. I am going to tie them together, as well...the tests only took me an hour to perform...it's the least I could do to save prospective buyers from your hot air...by the way, I love my Mommy...

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your problem is that these videos are going to stay at the top of the board for everyone to see. I am going to tie them together, as well...the tests only took me an hour to perform...it's the least I could do to save prospective buyers from your hot air...by the way, I own the house outright with no mortgage...
That is fantastic! I'm sure people can see for themselves now more than ever, that the $600.00 Tesoro Sand Shark, can hold its own on the beach with any other PI unit priced $1,200.00 or less. Thanks again!

worthy

Dec 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro , whites pi , garrett ace 250, c-scope ib
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love this thread--so funny!!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are you serious? These tests show exactly what I experienced on the beach with the Sand Shark vs the Infinium, it gets a few inches less depth on everything. How are you still going to say it "holds its own" "is comparable" "competes" etc.?.. it's a mediocre machine, and not in the same league as the Dual Field, HH Pulse, Infinium. Resorting to personal attacks is classic...

PS. put all the videos in one thread, easier to keep the thread on the top of forums. Post it on Friendly beach forums also. I might do an air test with the Infinium even though we have different ground, air tests are about the same as DF/HH PI.

Last edited:

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
Terry... there was no need to attack someone personally with your crack about where he did his test... you talk about people attacking the detector you enjoy swinging and make a huge deal when it happens.... talk about calling the kettle black.

You post that the SS is comparable to every PI under $1200 why don't you just put it in your signature to save yourself some time :lol:

What is the big deal if a more costly detector is deeper than yours? That is your biggest problem you can't accept what many know out there... and its your problem alone as people who hunt let their finds do the talking.

I don't care if some one is running a detector 3 inches deeper than mine if he can't hunt with it or doesn't really know how then I will out hunt him ... its all about the guy behind the detector...

I saw nothing wrong with the test I was impressed with the depth the SS was getting so why whine?

Variety is the spice of life Terry and not everyone wants to run the same machine.. I myself have 3 different brand detectors because they are a match for me and I like them all...

Last edited:

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hobbit, EXCELLENT post and thank you for making an intelligent video!! Your video is how I like to test a detector, if I have the opportunity, before I spend my money to find out it is only marginal detector. I think your videos will speak much louder than those that are so brainwashed with brand loyalty that all they want to do is draw crowds to there hunting sites so they can try to impress everyone how great there machine is. They will also say the PI experts (Eric Foster) are all wrong because my machine is the best and it's not made that way. I have owned one of the marginal brand of detector you tested, but an earlier model and I thought it was a toy. Your video showed the SS is a very good inexpensive detector with very acceptable depth. Thank you for your honesty. I will be looking forward to your other videos. To bad the person that didn't think your efforts weren't to his liking, doesn't make his own video showing that his machine can do what yours can't.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I apologize for the personal quips about Hobbit's legs, sincerely. You have GREAT legs Hobb! Your video does a fantastic job of showing that you can pay twice what a machine is worth if you are willing to buy the optional dealer hype.

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize for the personal quips about Hobbit's legs, sincerely. You have GREAT legs Hobb! Your video does a fantastic job of showing that you can pay twice what a machine is worth if you are willing to buy the optional dealer hype.

I gladly paid twice as much to gain 5 inches depth over the SS... its not optional dealer hype, it's better performance, for a price.

Even after seeing videos proving that the Sand Shark isn't as deep, you still can't admit it...

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see what the hoopla is all about.

It's 1 mans machine, in 1 mans hole, in 1 mans conditions.

I could use another Shark - wanna sell it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread