PI tests: Sand Shark, Dual Field, Headhunter Pulse, Whites PI 1000 video comparison

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
PI tests: Sand Shark, Dual Field, Headhunter Pulse, White's PI 1000 video comparison

Here is a series of tests conducted on the Tesoro Sand Shark, the White's Dual Field, Detectorpro Headhunter Pulse and the really old and very "retro" White's PI 1000 metal detectors. The tests are performed in the manner recommended by Eric Foster. I am not trying to beat a dead horse here, folks...several people have asked me to tie these together in one post. I do not claim to be an expert, and make no value judgements.

Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job and Thank you very much.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Excellent job. I have bookmarked this post so the next time someones asks what's the best PI is they will have something to view besides a poster ranting abut his under $600. detector that does everything. Thank you for your fantastic effort.

OP
OP
H

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
I want to thank everyone who has responded positively to the video tests of the Sand Shark, White’s Dual Field, Detectorpro Headhunter Pulse and White’s PI 1000 I have posted on this forum. Because of requests from other members, I have also just joined “Friendly” and posted the tests there. They are nothing more than an honest attempt to provide a relative test of the performance of the detector’s in question. The only reason I got “sucked into” this debate was because I did not know it occurred all the time. I am a big fan of a particular sub-thread on this forum and very rarely visit the “beach and shallow water” sub-forum. Recently, family obligations have kept me much nearer computers and tablets than I generally choose to be. I was browsing and landed here. There seemed to be an honest and searching question from someone on another thread who was interested in investing his hard-earned money into a pulse induction detector. I became interested in the discussion. I recommended he check out the Headhunter Pulse before he made a decision. I also stated, that for me personally: if I could only own one waterproof , hobby PI detector, it would be the Tesoro Sand Shark. There are several reasons for this. I will not elaborate on them here. Subsequently, other members posted what I believe to be outlandish claims about the performance of the Tesoro Sand Shark. I believe the claims were misleading, whether intentionally or otherwise. I couldn’t resist getting involved in the discussion because I was bored and because I have used a Sand Shark for so long. That is why it happened. I have had my say. Instead of an opinions and claims, I have tried to inject some baseline level of objective fact into the debate. If I became animated and began to sound “strident”, I apologize. I never called anyone a liar. I never called anyone a troll. Because I questioned some member’s claims, and used some “sarcasm” in regards to some of their claims and hyperbole, I was accused of the former and called the latter. It is irrelevant., really. Within the next few days I will be leaving on an extended trip and will be in and out of communication range. I am through with the discussion, but I will be happy to respond to any queries/accusations/questions in due time. I will now crawl back into my “troll hole” where I belong. I am very comfortable here. I wish you all the best of luck with whatever detector you choose to use.
Tony

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Great videos of some of the better PI machines. Thanks for the testing info.

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Infinium LS air test below. I called the max depth at an obvious beep, I was standing too far to hear the wavers/whispers in the threshold, but you can generally hear a waver/whisper an inch or 2 past the beep.

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the video AKA! It appears like the Infinium has the advantage when it comes to the smaller gold. The nickel and bigger gold items seemed a couple inches less deep compared to the DF and HHPI. Could be the variations in conditions between your area and Hobbits? :dontknow:

What is the pulse delay of the Infinium at its lowest setting?

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around 10uS according to garrett support. Yeah the DF/HH PI seem to get a little better depth on bigger items, and Infinium better on smaller gold, you can hear a rise in the threshold another inch or 2 past the beep on the Infinium, but the DF/HH PI still beat it by an inch or 2.

Last edited:

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Excellent video. Nice the way you showed the target so we could see it next the yard stick and see the true accuracy of your test. Thank you for your honesty after doing your test and comparing the results with the other detectors. Great job!

Thanks for the video AKA! It appears like the Infinium has the advantage when it comes to the smaller gold. The nickel and bigger gold items seemed a couple inches less deep compared to the DF and HHPI. Could be the variations in conditions between your area and Hobbits? :dontknow:

What is the pulse delay of the Infinium at its lowest setting?

OP
OP
H

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
Nicely done test. The Infinum's performance on small gold was very impressive IMHO...

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone have a Garrett Sea Hunter MK II? Would love to see its results on a similar test.

OP
OP
H

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
Anyone have a Garrett Sea Hunter MK II? Would love to see its results on a similar test.

I am working on getting a Sea Hunter, Dirt Digger... I am trying to trade a Tesoro Sand Shark for one, but, so far, no takers...

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to say exellent post.I liked the way the df responded to targets at more than a foot.

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am working on getting a Sea Hunter, Dirt Digger... I am trying to trade a Tesoro Sand Shark for one, but, so far, no takers...

Hope the trade goes through...Hope to see how it performs!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread